Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Why are there no carbon stanchion forks?
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Carbon lowers, crown, steerer…

Why not carbon stanchion with ultra durable resin coat, milled and polished?

Do carbon lowers sheath an alloy chamber to hold suspension fluid & bushings in. Can carbon fibre cope with suspension oils?

z1ppy

I’m obviouly not 100% sure, but I’m unaware of any inner liner fitted to Lefty Carbon fork(s), so supposedly yes it can cope with suspension oil… or at least, it can be laquered to resist it.

GW
    Free Member

crazy, eh? and why no carbon tyres?

druidh
    Free Member

GW – Member

😀

wwaswas

Can carbon fibre cope with suspension oils?

yep, see all pace and dt-swiss forks – the lowers have lots of carbon.

I thonk it’s getting the surface finish and durability needed for sealing that’s the issue – even ‘smooth’ carbon is pretty bumpy.

Stoner
    Free Member

you say that like Im missing something obvious. Care to enlighten?

z1ppy

I thonk it’s getting the surface finish and durability needed for sealing that’s the issue – even ‘smooth’ carbon is pretty bumpy.

fixed with “carbon stanchion with ultra durable resin coat, milled and polished?

Stoner
    Free Member

yep, see all pace and dt-swiss forks – the lowers have lots of carbon

knew that. But was wondering if there was a metal tank in the lower to deal with the fluids.

even ‘smooth’ carbon is pretty bumpy.

cant be too tricky to lay up a CF tube in a thick outer resin coat that is then machined back perfectly cylindrically.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

cant be too tricky to lay up a CF tube in a thick outer resin coat that is then machined back perfectly cylindrically.

Technically that is quite a challenge – vac bagging during cure will try and minimise the resin thickness, to somehow have a thick outer layer, but still have a high volume fraction for the tube is going to be hard in one operation. Post-fab machining will have its problems as well.

Sure it could be done, but can’t see how it will be cheaper than a metal tube.

wwaswas

But was wondering if there was a metal tank in the lower to deal with the fluids.

no, it just sloshes about.

Stoner
    Free Member

precast resin cylinder, internally coated with wet resin, then laid.

🙂

I wont be beaten by complications….

Rorschach
    Free Member

Machining carbon….gotta love that!

geoffj

Sure it could be done, but can’t see how it will be cheaper than a metal tube.

Why would it have to be cheaper?

Stoner
    Free Member

wwaswas – are the bushings still interference fit in the inner face of the CF or is a bushing sleeve resined into the lower and replaceable buhsing inserted into that?

z1ppy

who mentioned machining carbon?

Stoner
    Free Member

Machining carbon

machining RESIN.

Silly inkblot.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

precast resin cyclinder, internally coated with wet resin, then laid.

I wont be beaten by complications….

You will be beaten on cost 😉

Why would it have to be cheaper?

You have seen the cost of decent forks as it, yes?

portlyone

My mate’s carbon seat post looks a scratched mess after just a few raisings and lowerings…

Stoner
    Free Member

there must be an uber resin out there.

Also, seat tubes and seat post clamps arent known for their low-friction surfaces.

A top quality hard resin, polished to within a micron of it’s life, running in lubed foam rings and teflon coated bushings. Knock out! 🙂

bristolbiker
    Free Member

A top quality hard resin, polished to within a micron of it’s life,

Moon-on-a-stick at the moment, for a thermoplstic polymeric resin, AFAIK…… if you want to get uber-bling, then metal matrix composites would be the way to go to get a stiff tube and hard outer surface, but they are even more outrageous cost-wise

aracer
    Free Member

there must be an uber resin out there.

Why?

Stoner
    Free Member

Moon-on-a-stick at the moment

defeat conceded 🙁

ALso, why do Fox make such a noise about the corrosion resistance of their kashima coating? When was the last time anyone saw rusty fork stanchions? How about making them more resiliant to abbrasion instead! 🙂

wwaswas

just a push fit from memory when I had a peer inside.

Stoner
    Free Member

Why?

because thats what men in lab coats are paid millions of pounds and given ferraris and prostitutes to invent.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Prob because an aluminium metal tube will do the job more cheaply, better for longer. You may also lose internal oil volume if the leg wall thickness has to be increased for CF, hence existing damping kit wouldn’t fit in there.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I struggle with long sentences but resin’s never going to be as “hard” as anodized aluminium.

Stoner: how about diamond coated carbon stanchions? 😛

Stoner
    Free Member

couldnt afford the CNC milling bits needed to machine it.

Stupid idea.

Stoner
    Free Member

may also lose internal oil volume if the leg wall thickness has to be increased for CF, hence existing damping kit wouldn’t fit in there.

45mm stanchions then 😉

bristolbiker
    Free Member

may also lose internal oil volume if the leg wall thickness has to be increased for CF, hence existing damping kit wouldn’t fit in there.

Unlikely – purely from a stiffness point of view, the wall thickness of a CF leg could be thinner for the same OD and as the modulus of CF is a lot higher than aluminium alloys. I accept it is more complicated than that (strength, manufacturability, impact resistance blar-de-blar-de-blar….), but that would be the theory.

aracer
    Free Member

because thats what men in lab coats are paid millions of pounds and given ferraris and prostitutes to invent.

Clearly it’s the lack of such incentives which is why it hasn’t happened. If only engineering wasn’t so undervalued.

retro83
    Free Member

Stoner – Member

45mm stanchions then

Too much friction. See ZZYZX for further info 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

where’s scientific altruism when it’s needed eh?

Stoner
    Free Member

ZZYZX

Is that sleepy physics?

retro83
    Free Member

Stoner – Member

ZZYZX

Is that sleepy physics?

In my house it is the tool of choice for owning:

Alas due to the friction from the massive stanchions it was rubbish as a suspension fork.

Stoner
    Free Member

You need a word with your plumber. The drains arent supposed to come out of the lawn like that.

aracer
    Free Member

where’s scientific altruism when it’s needed eh?

When you pay us properly we’ll work on it.

honourablegeorge

A carbon tube with a thin, kashima-coated aluminium tube around it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

And then another thin aluminium tube inside it to allow the piston/damper to seal?

So we’re replaceing one thin aluminium tube with 2 thin tubes and some CF inbetween them, which were not quite sure how we’re going to get in there?

There are stronger/harder aluminiums we could use and don’t, so I’m guessing we’ve reached the point where the need for stiffness and strength are equaled by a certain material and trying to go any lighter/stronger results in less stiffness, a bit like trying to use 953 in MTB’s.

honourablegeorge

I was joking about the aluminium tube.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

<Yoda mode> Truth in that, there is…hmmmmm </Yoda mode>

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Why are there no carbon stanchion forks?’ is closed to new replies.