Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Who's waiting for the Thompson Dropper seatpost?
  • stevied
    Free Member

I’m starting to think that I need a dropper post but won’t be in a position for a few months yet.
    I’ve read all about the options but really like the look of the Thompson one. One major factor for me is that you can have a lever under the seat. I’m not a big fan of loads of cables everywhere and have ridden a KS with the lever and had no problems..
    http://bikethomson.com/seatposts/elite-dropper-seatpost/

Anyone else out there waiting patiently? Or is everyone gonna hold off until they’ve been proven?

prezet
    Free Member

I’ll be interested in having a look at them when they’re released. Like you I prefer an under-seat lever.

Dark-Side

I’m interested but price will be the deciding factor for me. Reverbs are now available at a price where I would struggle to justify paying much extra for a dropper post.

kristoff
    Free Member

Will be interesting to see some reviews given how well made the rest of the thomson range is.

Leku
    Free Member

Q – Will you make a 27.2 drop post?
    A – Yes. We are working on a shorter travel 27.2 dropper style post. We plan to show the post in July of 2013.

This is the bit which interests me…

firestarter
    Free Member

Looks a poor design having the cable terminate at the seat clamp rather than the top of the outer sleeve , to me anyway

althepal

Got a reverb for chrimbo but wish the Thomson had been out and within my price range.. I’m a big fan of their stuff.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Leku + 1

yetitony
    Free Member

Love Thomson kit. Strong and reliable. Got a stem and Seatpost and after several years looks like new.
    Definitely thinking of getting a dropper post from them. Price doesn’t seem to bad!
    I also like the lever idea, don’t have the cable runs on my frame for remote. I currently have an old Joplin with lever.
    I know they got some grief but in over three years I have serviced it once!
    I really like dropper posts. Think it gives me mor confidence on descents. Some friends claim there not required but if it means I enjoy the downs more then well worth the cash!

PrinceJohn

$389 – ouch…

Also April the first release date..

honourablegeorge

The one thing that disappointed me was that the cable attaches to the movable part of the post, rather than the base. Thomson (and Fox) missed a trick there.

Northwind

Like any other post, wait til it’s been tested by users. Thomson are a good company but they were already making exciting reliability claims before they’d done any real long term testing, so I think it’s sensible to be wary.

deluded
    Free Member

I’ve been looking forward to this for a while now.

Agree with NW, but I’ve every faith in Thomson it will be a quality product.

I’m also holding out for their cranks, which I know they’re working on and imagine will be available late 2013, early 2014.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Would be entertaining if it was guff.

elliott-20
    Free Member

The fact they’ve had a couple over here in the for UK for winter testing, which they proclaim is some of the worst conditions for bike components, I reckon they’re really trying to nail it.

I’ve been keeping a keen eye on it and will probably jump on the bandwagon when it arrives.

nosedive
    Free Member

looks nice, pricey though. What the dropper post market really needs is someone to put out a nice cheap one that is good enough

patriotpro
    Free Member

PrinceJohn – Member
    $389 – ouch…

With that price, 01/04/13 surely…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

$389 – ouch…

With that price, 01/04/13 surely…

Cheaper than a reverb at $440 mspr …………

PrinceJohn

Cheaper than a reverb at $440 mspr …………

Really? So in theory if we wait til about the end of 2014 we could pick one up for £150.00 from Merlin?

cynic-al
    Free Member

nosedive – Member

looks nice, pricey though. What the dropper post market really needs is someone to put out a nice cheap one that is good enough

This. I need to work on my office-chair-gas-cartridge version for £99.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Really? So in theory if we wait til about the end of 2014 we could pick one up for £150.00 from Merlin?

Probably less likely than cheep reverbs, how often do you see thompson stuff discounted to the same level as RS stuff, merlin almost always seems to have some RS stuff (and not just some bizzare 1.5″ steerer QR dropout, pink OEM fork) at half price.

£240 at the current exchange rate though so it’s not uncompetitive, loads of people bought into Reverb’s when the price dropped below £200.

andyl
    Free Member

Having just bought a Reverb and very worried about the price of spare parts (£100 for the remote kit!!) I am thinking about waiting for the Thomson but the RRP on a normal Thomson post is £80 these days so I can’t see the dropper coming in as cheap as Reverbs are currently available to for a good while.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

£240 at the current exchange rate

Lovely idea but since when has exchange rate reflected what we actually pay in the UK 🙁

andyl
    Free Member

that is a very good point. The normal Thomson posts seem to have an RRP of $99.95 which is a smidge over £60. British RRP is £80 and you normally find them discounted to about £60 so I am expecting about £300 with places like merlin doing them for £240 and occasionally dropped to about £200.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Who's waiting for the Thompson Dropper seatpost?’ is closed to new replies.