Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • who's going to do the winter salisbury plain challenge on 18th december?
  • racefaceec90

http://www.spamwinterchallenge.co.uk/ after the travesty of my attempt at the 12 hour team event (i was crap/unfit),i have decided to enter the 50k event (have done it once before in jan 2003).just wondering if anyone else is going to do it?p.s am actually going to train for this one 😳 😉

rob2
    Free Member

hopefully, although last year i totally died and came something crazy like 208th out of 213. going to see if i can improve on that one!

mikertroid
    Free Member

I will give it a go although the summer’s 6 hour race hurt a bit!

fourbanger
    Free Member

I managed to come last in the 25KM the other year. In my defense, I was cycling with my GF who had never ridden off road before and like a gentleman, let her cross the line before me. We even stopped for tea and cake half way round!
    Looks like I’m in the country this year, so think I might do the 50.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Tempting, just checked out the web page. Seems wrong calling it an Enduro somehow. Can imagine a bunch of Frenchies turning up on their AM bikes for this and wondering where we’ve hidden the mountain.

Edric64
    Free Member

Its quite an easy event lots of it on roads across the Plain .Didn`t realize it was early this year though

drain

18th December? Bugger. Have done it for the last 4 years in the January. Will be in Dublin that weekend for the Bath game 😀 so will miss it 🙁

pete68
    Free Member

Mmm, would have done it but it clashes with the brass monkeys enduro. Not good planning.

Fuzzyfelt
    Free Member

Hope to see lot’s of you there. It was a tough decision to bring the event forward from our traditional early Jan’ date. The date was changed due to the way the weekends have fallen this year for Christmas & NY which is the period when the MoD open up access over the Imber Range’s.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Is it suitable for a Cx bike?

Fuzzyfelt
    Free Member

Yep – a few on cross bikes last year. If I remember correctly they hunted in a pack, but still didn’t catch that speedy On-One rider who led everyone home on 26″ wheels!

flashes
    Free Member

What’s the course like? I’ll ride SS, just working on what gear to fit….

marvincooper

I’m planning on going, just down the road for me, looks good for a winter ride

dobo
    Free Member

yes might do this one, but ts early this year soo could clash..

bigbloke
    Free Member

Myself and a mate have booked up to do the 50km. Should be amusing.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Anyone know the reason why it’s before Chrimbo this year and not just after New Year?

[EDIT: Doh, web site says: as we are unable to get access to the MOD land, on which the event is held, over the Christmas period.]

I wonder why the MOD are not opening the ranges over the New Year then like what they normally do?

brassneck

What’s the course like? I’ll ride SS, just working on what gear to fit….

32:18 to avoid walking if I don’t wimp out and take the full suss, there are usually a fair few sludgy mud bits that sap my will to live else.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

More googling reveals the ranges are open but only until Friday 2nd Jan this (i.e. ‘next’ year).

foxyrider
    Free Member

I might be 🙂

pedalhead
    Free Member

I rode it this year on the singlespeed. *Very* spinny in places. I reckon a geared CX bike is probably ideal for this route. Having said that I’ll probably be there again with the ss in December.

racefaceec90

just out of interest is there a link to show when the plain is open? whenever i go up to salisbury plain (red horn hill from devizes) it is nearly always shut,to go to stonehenge.didn’t fancy having to ring them to find out.

dobo
    Free Member

not sure if 32:18 was serious, there are a few hills but are all doable in middle ring easy enough. the hills wouldnt be an issue on 32:18 as pedalhead says but the road section would be really frustrating.
    might cx it myself this year

Freester

I rode it about 6 years ago. I’d only been riding seriously 6 months and went for the 50km. The point where I was on the flat mud changing to lower and lower gears as I got more knackered and then realising I was in granny ring and didn’t have many lower gears left is a lasting memory.

That said we were talking about having another go this year. Rumour has it that it isn’t quite the mud fest it used to be…?

Fuzzyfelt
    Free Member

We’ve made use of some of the firmer tank tracks/Imber Range and the road out through Imber for the past few years and minimised the muddy slogs – not the most technical challenge, but a good off road ride.
    As I said up above, Andy, dates didn’t fall well and didn’t work for our traditional early Jan date. We did discuss trying to run it between Xmas / NY; but difficult to gauge how many club members would be able to commit time to set-up etc.
    Be heading down your way, Foxy, for a proper start of year mudfest at the Newnham event!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Ahh Martin you doing the Newnham 3x20KM then?

senorj

I fancy it. I’ll see how my well christmas( 😯 ) shopping goes!

flashes
    Free Member

32 X 18 would kill me, far too spinny……….actually that’s what I have on the Pugsley…

fourbanger
    Free Member

Can anyone reccomend some CX tyres for this? Raised in the area, but never pick good tyres for this event….

drofluf
    Free Member

Just entered

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Yup, decided to go for the middle 35k and see how it goes. Will prob CX it, though will see how the mood takes me.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I’m planning to do the 50k, SS 34/17 which was fine for the HONC .

stainman
    Free Member

Aww man, I’ve got a session planned the night before so I’m not sure my Sunday hangover will let me do anything other than lie down and try not to vomit!

Shame as I’ve been looking for something like this to focus my efforts now it’s getting all chilly out. I’ll play it by ear and see how I feel on the morning.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yup, doin this one.

Looks Ace.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘who's going to do the winter salisbury plain challenge on 18th december?’ is closed to new replies.