Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 176 total)
  • Who would buy a gun then?
  • franksinatra

Been following the gun threads with interest following last weeks shooting. Just out of curiosity, if our gun laws were the same as the US, who would pop down to there local camping shop to buy a gun? Not a purposeful gun like a .22 for rabbits or shotgun for field sports but a hand gun or assault rifle type gun just because they want one.

Me? Not a chance. Feel perfectly safe where I live, never felt threatened enough to want one, wouldn’t trust myself not to shoot my foot off.

wwaswas

Feel perfectly safe where I live, never felt threatened enough to want one

but if you thought everyone else had been and bought one would you still feel the same?

MSP

My penis is small, and I can’t afford a big car, so a big scary gun seems an ideal solution.

DezB
    Free Member

I wouldn’t either. Not many potential gun-toters round my way.

franksinatra

but if you thought everyone else had been and bought one would you still feel the same?

Excellent point. Would like to say no but I’m really not sure.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think that if you or I could buy guns, then there’d be a lot of guns around, and getting one would be a lot easier.

People here attempt to commit crimes with knives, replicas, ancient WW2 things that don’t work, all sorts. Not M16s or Glocks.

Many crimes are committed by people who’ve never committed crimes before, and hence have no record and are able to help themselves to guns in the USA.

What amuses me is how many people in the US think that simply owning a gun protects you in some way. The is an argument that it makes you more likely to get shot yourself if your assailant thinks you might shoot him.

almightydutch
    Free Member

When you absolutely, positively, got to kill every motherfecker in the room

AK 47 for me please

CheesybeanZ

Feel perfectly safe where I live, never felt threatened enough to want one

if the gun laws were the same as US would you still feel safe with every possible nut job owning a gun ??

waswas beat me to it .

mogrim

If everyone else had one, I certainly would. Although I’d probably get one anyway, I like target shooting. (Target as in a paper thing 25m away, not a person!)

lazybike
    Free Member

Who couldn’t find room for one of these indoors…..

DezB
    Free Member

Hmm, just remembered the commute in this morning and changed my mind… 👿

teethgrinder

Just one?

Glock 18
    HK USP (silenced)
    L85A2 with underslung grenade launcher
    Mini-14 with folding stock in chrome (a la A-Team)
    AA12
    P90
    Accuracy international .338 with fancypants scope.

edit:
    MG42
    Bren

wwaswas

71% of members of the NRA think that people on the US Terrorist Register should be stopped from owning guns.

so nearly 3 out of 10 of them think that terrorists should have the same rights to gun ownership as everyone else.

It’s a scary country sometimes.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Reckon if they became legal and easy to obtain I’d probably want as big a gun as possible, just in case like……

stewartc
    Free Member

Not a gun nut but if I was going to get one I would go extreem and get one of those Terminator 2 Gatling numbers, no point in half measures.
    On a related note played airsoft recently at a company do and it was strange seeing some people acting differently once they had a replica (and they do look real) weapon in their hands.
    I did have one exactly like Lazybikes, an M4 carbine….

Brand X body armour is great for Airsoft!

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’d quite like a sniper rifle. I’ve always enjoyed shooting, but only at targets. Any other use really doesn’t interest me at all. I’m perfectly happy with the current gun laws, I can cope with not being allowed one without significant training/license/safe storage and a good reason.

GrahamS

IF UK law went mad and everyone could buy guns with very little restriction, and they were allowed to carry guns in public, and the law allowed lethal force in self-defence, then yes I probably would consider carrying a small automatic.

Or I’d move to a different country.

(which is pretty much why I’m glad we have sane gun laws)

ski
    Free Member

If I lived in the US, hell yes, but over this side of the pond, if we had the same gun laws, I don’t think I would.

[edit] hang on, I do own a gun, silly me 😯

z1ppy

wants ^^^^^ (hmm the AR15/M14 pictured above) ever since playing CT.

Very much the case that if eveyone could have them, I’d have one to keep them out. And a fully stocked bunker, and a humvee (proper one) and a…..

loum
    Free Member

Awesome. F@*k yeah!

crankboy
    Free Member

I’m sure that their are a number of illegaly held firearms within a few hundred yards of my home. One of my clients was found walking at night with one in the next street over. They are often recoverd on drug raids.

The criminals rarely resort to them except for inter criminal violence. I would feel a lot less safe if i and all my neighbours had the capabillity to turn our street into down town Bassra as soon as we felt jumpy.

lazybike
    Free Member

Is it Switzerland where you get to keep your assault rifle after your national service….

Cougar

I’d have a General Electric minigun like the one Blaine had in Predator.

Interesting question. I might be tempted from a sports perspective I suppose, target shooting or such, but then I could do much the same with air pistols or shotguns now anyway so there doesn’t seem a lot of point. For ‘defence’ I wouldn’t run out and buy one unless there was a compelling reason to do so, and TBH I think I’d rather just move.

I own a bow which arguably could be as effective a weapon as a gun, but lacks the intimidation factor and is a bit harder to slip under your coat on a night out.

CheesybeanZ

[/quote]If I lived in the US, hell yes, but over this side of the pond, if we had the same gun laws, I don’t think I would.[/quote]

really , why not ?

franksinatra

22 replies in 11 mins, STW seem users more interested in talking about guns than bikes!

footflaps

Yep – fantastic fun:

One down, one going down and one to go… by brf, on Flickr

Not bad for a beginner at 8m by brf, on Flickr

AR-15 by brf, on Flickr

philconsequence
    Free Member

i’m not sure i’d want to live in this country anymore if gun laws were relaxed, generations brought up on shooty computer games takes a lot of fear/respect for the power of what a gun can do away 🙁

tis my opinion, not stating it as a fact so don’t go demanding figures and facts from me.

the first (thing nearly every guy i know who has gone to america) has on their to-so list is to go to a shooting range and play with guns 🙁

i don’t like violence.

molgrips
    Free Member

If I lived in the US, hell yes

What situation can you imagine where it’d be an advantage to be armed?

the first thing nearly every guy i know who has gone to america as on their to-so list is to go to a shooting range and play with guns

I got my father in law to take me to a range a while back (he goes hunting, his guns are only for that not for show). It was good, but I only liked the tiny .22 pop pop pistol. I really did not like the .44 Magnum at all.

Target shooting appeals to me.

grum
    Free Member

if the gun laws were the same as US would you still feel safe with every possible nut job owning a gun ??

You might feel like you wanted one but I’m pretty sure the stats show you are more likely to get killed if you own a gun than not.

The price of freedom?

Statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention showed that, on average, one child died every three days in accidental [firearms] incidents in the United States from 2000 to 2005

loum
    Free Member

wwaswas

Cougar gets ready for a night out with the lads;

binners

I want a rocket launcher! Why can’t I have a rocket launcher? 🙁

wwaswas

binners is Sue Barker and I claim my £5.

grum
    Free Member

I want a rocket launcher! Why can’t I have a rocket launcher?

Namby pamby, nanny-state pinko liberal political correctness gone mad, that’s why.

lazybike
    Free Member

I want a rocket launcher!

…. Hope you’ve got off street parking…

GrahamS

What situation can you imagine where it’d be an advantage to be armed?

Someone breaking into my bike shed.

I want a rocket launcher! Why can’t I have a rocket launcher?

If CounterStrike/Quake has taught me anything it is that a rocket launcher is far more likely to kill you than anyone you attempt to fire it at – especially if you are running backwards and crouch-jumping at the same time. 😀

Keva
    Free Member

no chance, I do not have the slightest interest whatsoever. The gun is possibly the worst invention ever by mankind. It was once thought that the invention of the Gat gun would end war.

Richard Gatling created his gun during the American Civil War, he sincerely believed that his invention would end war by making it unthinkable to use due to the horrific carnage possible by his weapons.

stewartc
    Free Member

If Battlefield2 has taught me anything it is if there is someone lying down shooting at me the best defence is to jump up and down and to the side.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I was thinking of adding this to the other US/Gun thread earlier…

How we moan about the living in the UK on here.

But I know where i’d rather be living… very sad that all those people are going out to buy guns to feel “safe”.

and correct me please if I’m wrong.

The gun laws in US (Right to bare arms etc) I presumed are for self defence and that meant in your home…. So, how does owning a gun help when you out watching a movie ??

wrecker
    Free Member

If gun crime was rife and a large proportion of the criminal population had them then yes, a concealed carry P229 anti snag would be a sensible option.
    If it were just for show or fun, then no. I have plenty of experience with automatic weapons for the novelty to have long worn off.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 176 total)

The topic ‘Who would buy a gun then?’ is closed to new replies.