Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Who knows about shimano chains?
  • Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve never owned one, but looking at new transmission gear now, they seem remarkably cheap compared to others with bugger all info about whether they’re rust treated.

Anyone shed some light for me?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with them at all. Although Everyone will say different having “snapped one years ago”….
    Their only real disadvantage is the one shot joining pin rather than a quick link. But you can fit a quick link if you want.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

This was my plan actually, it’s just that I know nothing about spec levels. I’m looking at 10spd. Hg-x which claims to be zinc plated for just over a tenner. If it’s full zinc plated inner and outer links, it’s over 50% cheaper than a sram pc1091. That can’t be correct can it?

cp

they don’t include quick links, so factor those if you use them.

Much of a muchness, though I’m personally fond of KMC chains. the -93 versions of each speed series are pretty much rust-proof.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I get and use KMC chains, mainly because they’re all much of a muchness and they come with a quick link included, so nice and easy.

chakaping
    Free Member

They’re fine IME.

I use 11sp 105 chains with new XT – £12 each IIRC.

Wipe and lube after each ride, no rust yet.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve used a lot of Shimano chains over the years without problem, the only chain I’ve ever had fail was Sram.

I think a lot of the problems in the past were caused by people not fitting the joining pin correctly.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Snapped most chains over the years, kmc used to make the more expensive chain’s for shimano, now apparently it’s all in house. MTBR (I think) did some testing when MTBs went 10speed and found that the new shimano chain’s did actually last significantly longer than older versions.

On that basis I’ve used shimano whenever I’ve had a choice for 10s. Although having resolved to empty my spares boxes I’ve not bought a new chain in ages just run old matched chain’s and cassettes into the ground.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Shimano chains generally shift better on shimano cassettes.

As for joining them, don’t use Clarks powerlink. Tried one on a new drivetrain at the weekend and it skipped like anything. Binned and replaced by a Wipperman and it’s fine.

honourablegeorge

As above, probably as good as any other brand, but I avoid buying them purely because they don’t include a link – something that KMC or SRAM always include, at no performance or price disadvantage

andytherocketeer

Snapped Shimano, but it was long enough ago that is was probably 8 speed.
    Snapped KMC.
    Not snapped SRAM.
    Every snap has been a near brand new chain (ie less than 100 miles of towpath equivalent riding).

I’d use Shimano chain if it came as part of a groupset bundle, but I’d more than likely be using quicklinks rather than the fancy joining pin (assuming it’s compatible).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Who knows about shimano chains?’ is closed to new replies.