Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Who do you think is responsible for the current mass migration?
  • Lifer
    Free Member

the teaboy – Member
    though there has been fighting around the Middle East for ever.

And Europe.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Yeah right on man, cause no one in the west has ever migrated. No wars poverty or genocide has ever taken place in the west. They just stay put in the country they happened to be born in until they die *shakes head and sighs

Sectarian religious conflict has driven many wars in Europe.

However, the divide between Sunnis and Shia is almost irreconcilable, partly due to the somewhat devolved nature of theological authority within Islam. The only thing that comes close to unifying the two, is when they are united against a common enemy – eg the west.

Poverty does of cause drive migration, but it has less to do with it than you might think – I’ve spent some time in third world countries and people are generally happy and positive about the future as long as the country is stable, growing economically and they have a roof over their heads. Wars are what drive people to risk their lives crossing oceans.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

And Europe.

Ace! We can blame the Belgians.

Eddy Mercx, Jean Claude Van Damme, Plastic Bertrand, Tintin – I’m looking at you here!

cheekyboy
    Free Member

The downside of migration from 3rd world/developing countries is that many of these countries lose their best people, this perpetuates the the situation that creates the desire for many to leave, if some of the money languishing in offshore accounts was invested and the investments managed responsibly (in places like West Africa for example ) then maybe people would be prepared to stay and make a go of it.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Then again, many of those people often return remittances which boost the local economy – and they often return to their country of origin bringing with them knowledge and experience gained abroad.

However, I have noticed a trend among young Filipinos who have managed to escape that seems to indicate that they have effectively given up on their country of origin.

clodhopper
    Free Member

Dustin Gee
    Your mum
    Plastic Bertrand

I can’t decide which one of those is the most guilty.

Islam.

No I don’t think it’s him.

steveirwin
    Free Member

BBC World Service

Rorschach
    Free Member

Hora

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Foreigners

jambalaya
    Free Member

Angelina Jolie’s Speech, well worth listening to

[video]http://youtu.be/Py0TkvwIxI8[/video]

fin25
    Free Member

Ace! We can blame the Belgians

Well, if you do a quick search on Belgium’s role in Central Africa, specifically the Congo and Rwanda, you’ll see that we can actually blame Belgium…

The wider point here is that everyone is responsible. Human history, especially in the last two centuries, can be read as a series of horrors and tragedies, each one sharpening the next. No one group can be held responsible, as we have all contributed to the problem.
    So how to fix it?
    The same way we broke it, together, over time.

captaindanger

As a few people have alluded to, migration is normal and required especially for an ageing population like ours. The majority of negative accusations thrown at it are debunked when actual real factual data is looked at. There is a really good article about it here
    https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg23030680-700-the-truth-about-migration-how-it-will-reshape-our-world/
    If we just accept it, accept the money that migration brings us and use it to improve the country, all our “problems” with it would go away.

stewartc
    Free Member

If we just accept it, accept the money that migration brings us and use it to improve the country, all our “problems” with it would go away

Can anyone actually provide a recent example in history where mass (not trickled or controlled) migration really benefited a host nation?

decky
    Free Member

Mans greed and beliefs,oh and Tony Blair

Junkyard
    Free Member

Can anyone actually provide a recent example in history where mass (not trickled or controlled) migration really benefited a host nation?

Israel
    UK when we had “mass immigration” from the commonwealth
    Australia
    America
    UK currently
    Everywhere basically

Its a leading question with the phrasing “mass” as we always have controlled immigration

captaindanger

Stewartc why not read the article?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Israel
    UK when we had “mass immigration” from the commonwealth
    Australia
    America

Highly controlled,

Isreal – Jewish only
    Australia – highly regulated including being outright racist in 1960’s
    US – again strict criteria (skills and health based) more recent immigration drives have had strict national quotas to ensure balance
    UK – Commonwealth by implication focused on immigrants with a familiarity with British culture.

Using mass migration as an attempt to solve our pension / funding crises is full on lunacy – its just making the problem even worse.

The reunification of Germany placed a huge strain on the original West Germany due to cultiral differences and the huge economic rift between East and West. that wasn’t even migration really and was purting back together a country. It was still very difficult

This says it all for me, simple and to the point

fin25
    Free Member

You talk about skills like they are something we are all born with. Most people can do most things if trained properly.
    The poster talks of economic growth. The same thing delivered by immigration from the EU, no?

squirrelking
    Free Member

US might currently have a tighter control on immigration but it’s recent history (as the OP asked about) had plenty of mass migration.

fin25
    Free Member

So do all the white people in Australia not count as migrants?

sootyandjim
    Free Member

bodgy – Member
    I blame squirrels.

[Daily Wail Mode]All squirrels or just those nasty grey ones? You know, coming over here, eating our nuts, pushing good, British Red Squirrels out of a job…

You know they breed quicker dontcha? All their baby squirrels putting pressure on the local trees and nut supply…send em’ back I say.[/Daily Wail Mode]

sootyandjim
    Free Member

So do all the white people in Australia not count as migrants?

To be fair the Native Australians had a pretty lack border control policy… 😉

globalti
    Free Member

Overpopulation of countries whose climate and land cannot support the population. So I blame the Catholic Church and Islam for encouraging people to have more babies.

Syria’s population has boomed in the last 40 years and they have suffered a succession of droughts meaning that people have given up on farming and moved to the cities where the traditional village hierarchy doesn’t exist and there aren’t sufficient jobs. This leads to frustration and instability and ultimately it led to civil war. Same story in sub-Saharan Africa.

RichPenny
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iha3OS8ShYs[/video]

It’s basically this. Imagine the terrible cost of moving all those arbitrary lines on a map temporarily. Then imagine what we could have achieved by working together. Then vote remain 😉

Steelfreak
    Free Member

Post deleted.

jamj1974

Not so much a person – more a symptom of our system.

We have created global inequality that has become more and more entrenched. The people this serves are not actually tied to a nation, so do not care who it affects.

slowoldman

+1 Poverty.

Oh and conflict.

theocb
    Free Member

It’s the human success story, expanding from 1 billion to 7.5 billion in just 150 years.
    Hopefully we can hit 10 billion by 2050.

slowoldman

It’s trebled in the time I’ve been alive – 62 years. That’s frightening. But we behave like any other life form, we continue to increase until some natural phenomena halt or reverse that trend. What will it be in our case?

footflaps

But we behave like any other life form, we continue to increase until some natural phenomena halt or reverse that trend

Pretty sure we’ll wipe ourselves out with a combination of resource exploitation / pollution.

binners

Its maps. I blame the people who started printing them

If we were all scared of falling off the edge of the world then everything would be fine, and we’d all be happy in our little villages, eating mud

ninfan
    Free Member

Sykes-Pigot and Churchill played a big part, though there has been fighting around the Middle East for ever.

Well, Sykes-Pigot agreement was, essentially, a short term sticking plaster over the wider issue of the sudden collapse of the Ottoman Empire, and what we have seen playing over recent years is really the longer term effect of that decline and collapse over several hundred years.

You could also blame Hitler for failing to recognise the strategic importance of the Suez canal, and thus missing the opportunity to seize it early in the war, one of the pivotal decisions of the 20th Century.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Blair and Bush sowed the seeds with various random wars

I’m by no means an expert or a fan of these two but I think it’s extremely simplistic to suggest make out that they are to blame for all the ills in the world, especially the middle east. Sure they’ve stirred the pot but I think a lot of these seeds were sown long before they came along and I don’t think it’s helpful to ignore that history.

mrmo
    Free Member

The only way to stop immigration is to make the place people are leaving better than the place they want to go to.

But you could ask what makes a better place, why do Brits go to NZ, Aus, Canada, Spain etc.

There is no one answer as to why people move, but if you consider the Poles moving to the UK for work, maybe ensuring that their is work in Poland might be a starter. You know some kind of regional development fund???

As for the ME, f*** knows what the solution is there, Nuke it???

slowoldman

The only way to stop immigration is to make the place people are leaving better than the place they want to go to.

Not necessarily better, just acceptable. As an example, you may have noticed that we haven’t had the entire population of Rumania descend on us as some predicted. That’s because most prefer to stay in their own country, providing conditions are OK-ish. A bit like us really otherwise all the Brexiters would all be off to Switzerland by now.

wilburt
    Free Member

Its about greed and the subsequent inequality.

Do you think Ali from Afganistan would be keen to travel to the UK if he could get a job looking at the internet being mediaocre but still earn enough for an Audi and iphone 6 whilst living in down town Kabul.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

At the end of the day, Sunnis and Shia seem to be quite keen on killing each other when given the smallest excuse.

Perhaps the most ridiculous response. The fight between thm died out years ago. One went on to become more successful, better know and dominant, the other died off.

Old battles long forgotten, people forget how they lived together successfully for many years before they split

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Who do you think is responsible for the current mass migration?’ is closed to new replies.