Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Whip: How?
  • HermanShake
    Free Member

Less this:

more this:

I’ve read conflicting stuff about how to do them. One school of thought is to start with the bars, use legs to push out and bring back in.

The other is to use your hips as the pivot and let your shoulders guide the movement.

I’m a long way off doing these but at least would like to know what to aim for 😀

jedi

i look to where i want to go , turn bars and hips left then back. simples 🙂

tabletops look way better!

HermanShake
    Free Member

Ah, simples for you Jedi!

I may well be seeing you in the new year to solve this puzzle.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Bit sweary…fast forward to 3 minute.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWp5zOWUksw[/video]
    Edit..technically the champery photo is a ‘dogpiss’ whip,for obvious reasons 🙂

GW
    Free Member

there is no proper way so find your own style. (all of what you’ve suggested will work)
    I personally prefer to scrub the lip so my whips are generally slightly tabled.
    one thing I will say is make sure you nose into your landings, as this means you can get away with landing still whipped out – when the front wheel lands it pulls the back in.
    Also, in the pic up there, Danny is clipped in which affects the way he whips

Trimix
    Free Member

Good luck – I reckon if I tried to do it I would end up in a big mess flat on the ground.

chiefP
    Free Member

Watch how they do it on MX and its one smooth movement with the arms, the hips and legs do nothing if its done right and looks smooth and effortless which it is, just takes time to master.

They way i learnt was to turn the bars in mid air and then pull them down towards your hips to the right or left whichever direction suits you, or if you lead with yor right turn right lead with the left turn left or if your ambidextrous you have the best of both, that then bring the rear out no need for legs or hip movements then turn the bars into the direction you want to put the front wheel, land on the front which as has already been said means the back has time to come back into line with the bike, if you land on both at the sametime ypu will no doubt eat dirt.

Flats make it easier than clips and big tabletops always help.

GW
    Free Member

Watch how they do it on MX and its one smooth movement with the arms, the hips and legs do nothing.

FFS! that’s because the throttle and brakes do the rest on a moto 🙄
    proper sideways (90deg) whips on a bicycle def require hip movement!

prezet
    Free Member

That video explains it quite nicely…

chiefP
    Free Member

GW,

Defo dont require hip movements to make a whip thats forcing it to move on small table tops where you dont have enough speed and it looks ragged the hips with move naturally anyway, its the same movement regardless. I dont use hips to turn i use my arms and upper body, speed helps. We got tought by a MX/MTB instructor in Whistler so it works for us im sure it will work for anyone else, why do you need hips to move it when the bars are already in the 90deg position next to your hips? the bike will move in the direction you point that front end its just a pivot system.

Pretty much says it all in this video, no mention of ‘move your hips’

http://video.mpora.com/watch/eoCXjQnrF/

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

There are no doubt a few different ways of doing them. I used to ride dirt jumps and bmx so I do mine just like Chase Hawk. These definitely look the best, but I find them tricky to do on your typical “downhill” style jumps that are very fast, long and mellow. They are much easier on steep, kicky jumps that you tend to get more heigh than distance on.

Its a very similar principal to riding a spine or volcano at a skate park. The easiest jumps to learn them on would be a nice big step up or something like that.

Heres a picture of me showing off (I dont get to do this much anymore since I stick to riding touring bikes nowadays)

Definitely learn table tops though, theyre well more badass.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I miss Burnley 🙁

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think it was my most favourite park, it was never dead busy either. The smaller street section that they made later on was really good fun aswell.

The foam pit was the best though – I got to feel like my hero (Justin Inman) for a day boosting clicked 360 tables without a care in the world how I landed.

GW
    Free Member

cheif – WTF? punctuate much?

Take a look at the sexy shape DTs making with his lovely hips in his pic above ^^ and tell me HTF you get your bike 90deg with your upper body still facing forwards without moving your hips. or are you an action man doll with rotating torso/waist? 😕

<EDIT> just watched the vid you posted. hope Oli Burton isn’t charging for tutoring.. that was bloody awfully explained.
    What do you think he should actually have said to the wee guy instead of “you’re bringing the front round, but you’re not bringing the back out.. so try that!”

poor wee guy doesn’t get close to whipping.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Lots to consider!

I watched this: [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF5RLsTbRNg[/video]

and it’s clear proper moto whips are on an entirely different level! I’ve never seen footage of a bike getting much past the 90 degree tweak, Potter and his chums get so far round. Makes the mtb whip seem like more of a wonk. Still impressive though 🙂

I’m a way off either wonks or tables, maybe I should get that full face I’ve been looking at?!

teasel
    Free Member

cheif – WTF? punctuate much?

🙂

_tom_
    Free Member

tabletops look way better!

+1, everyone can whip now but its rarer to see a properly clicked tabletop or invert 🙂

jedi

high5 tom! 🙂

sam2391
    Free Member

This is how my mate described it to me and it worked so well;
    Imagine you have a tail and your trying to flick it out.. try it!!

Rorschach
    Free Member

Some good uns here….Brendog was robbed…purely for slac-nacs 😀
    I don’t think you can get anymore ‘moto’ than Elliot Jackson without an engine.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Kokanee-Crankworx-Unofficial-World-Championship-Whip-Offs-Kokanee-Crankworx-2011.html
    DTF-I ‘learnt’ downside whip 3’s (into the burnley foam pit)by accident whilst bailing from failed turndown 3’s and forgetting to let go of the bars.I don’t know who was more suprised when I caught the pedals-me or everyone watching 8)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

DTF-I ‘learnt’ downside whip 3’s (into the burnley foam pit)by accident whilst bailing from failed turndown 3’s and forgetting to let go of the bars.I don’t know who was more suprised when I caught the pedals-me or everyone watching

Quality!

The danger with that is if you’re the sort of person with the mindset of: “Right, I’ve landed one, I’ll take it to the big jump box in the park”

Seen a few end in disaster

Thankfully I new I’d have no chance of landing one out of the foam pit.

Another goodun to watch is Thomas Vanderham, he used to do gooduns.

Rorschach
    Free Member

No chance,not me…it took me until I was 33 to land a 360 (proper jump box size) and another year to do them on dirt!I am officially ‘retired’ from ‘tricks’ now at 38 and a bit(turndowns don’t count cos they iz ace).
    I still have horribly scared shins from trying to learn tailwhips to pedals and I never landed more than one in a week 😥

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

everyone can whip now

No they can’t!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Whip: How?’ is closed to new replies.