Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Fox 36 or Bos Devile
  • Highland28
    Free Member

Not needing forks atm but am just trying to gauge an idea of what you guys think would be better so that I can start to look out for offers in the future.
    So either Fox 36 rlc 160mm or Bos Deville.

The fox obviously is much more popular so parts would be easier to get hold of for servicing etc, however the Bos is much rarer which gives it a bit of exclusivity.

Oh, and one , can you lower Bos forks as i would probably be wanting to run them at 150mm on my mojo.

Cheers

Shorty121
    Free Member

Why don’t you just go for a 150mm fork rather than lowering a heavier one down. Surely the benefits can’t be that much better

Highland28
    Free Member

I was thinking of that but the stiffness that you get from the 36 seems to me to be much better, I am running 32’s at the mo, albeit qr, and had a ride on my uncles new 36’s over the weekend and they seemed very stiff up front. Oh and either way they are going to be quite a bit lighter than my 32 vanilla’s.

loco_pollo
    Free Member

I’m replacing my 36 float with a Deville – nothing wrong with the Fox forks other than they are knackered, they’ve been great forks, just fancy a change. R53 will do you a set of custom lowered Devilles but I don’t think the process is reversible.

oldfart

I’ve got 36s , 10 months old had 4 oil changes and new seals and still coating has worn on stanchions .Currently waiting for replacement CSU after which they will be going on E Bay .Was tempted by the Bos but have heard back up is sadly lacking , how right that is i don’t know .Wasn’t prepared to take the chance so went for Coil Lyriks instead , bit heavier but so far all good .

Shorty121
    Free Member

I’m not sure the average rider will notice the stiffness, you might if your doing 10 foot drops and fort william every day.

Highland28
    Free Member

Maybe your are right Shorty, I know I would be more than happy with 150 32’s anyway. And having looked at the weights, I hadn’t realised the difference between the 32’s and 36’s. They would probably compliment the weight of the frame better.

So I will ask the same question if we add the 32 150’s into the equation?

pastcaring
    Free Member

the difference in stiffness is very noticeable! (very average rider)

i went with the bos deville, cheaper, lighter and only need servicing once a year at most.

the only down side is the travel is not easily adjustable and once done you cant go back to 160.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Devilles are available in 140mm or 160mm and soon 170mm.1 1/8″ only ta the moment but soon will have a tapered version.
    The 140mm versions have the same Axle to crown height as a Revelation 150mm.
    Had my set of 140mm Devilles since the end of last year,done hundreds of miles on them,Faultless,No stripping every 20 hrs,No stiction,Just ride them and clean them after the ride,Spray with Silicon and they are ready to ride next time.
    Bos forks are brought at either 160 or 140mm,to get them down to 140mm they cut something inside,It can be reversed but its quite expensive.
    Roger at R53 is very helpfull and has answered all my questions,and usually very quicly

heihei

BOS Devilles on my Mojo HD which replaced 36 Floats. At the margin, Devilles not as stiff, but still track very well through the rough stuff, and prefer how they ride.
    Second the fact that Roger at R53 is super-helpful.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Also Devilles seem to ride higher in the travel.Even with the same amount of sag,Less dive and faster recovery

Shorty121
    Free Member

I would go with the best fox floats you can afford

Highland28
    Free Member

Does anyone know the difference in crown 2 axle between the 36’s and deville’s at 160? Think I would prefer the fox’s due to the fairly easy travel change, and I know how to service them as well.
    I can afford to wait to see if any go cheap on ebay or anything which is nice plus I don’t really have the money at the moment.

pastcaring
    Free Member

both the same 545 iirc

steveh

I’ve owned both and would have deville’s in a flash. Nicest forks of any type I’ve ever ridden.

glynP
    Free Member

I have had the Fox 36’s and Devilles and the Bos are far nicer to ride, feel more like a coil fork and dont dive through the travel the way the 36’s did but maybe that was the way I set them up, we also have 2 pairs at 2010 prices left, a 140mm and a 160mm.

loco_pollo
    Free Member

glynp Do you know what the differences are going to be on the new Devilles in April 2011, and what cost they are likely to be?

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Don’t discount RS Lyrik RC2DH’s .

They’re the ones with Mission Control DH damping like wot boxxers have and are flippin ace.

Check out the 2010 bike radar review!

chakaping
    Free Member

Try and get a go on a Revelation with Maxle and Blackbox damping.

Not that far off the 36 in terms of performance on rocky terrain, and way lighter/cheaper.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

chakaping – Member
    Try and get a go on a Revelation with Maxle and Blackbox damping.

+1. The Rev RLT TI are incredibly light. The non travel adjust ones are almost 500g lighter than the Fox 36’s, and with the Maxle you won’t get nearly as much flex as your current QR’s

Highland28
    Free Member

Didn’t think of the revelation tbh, the lyrik would be too heavy up front so I don’t think that would suit too well.
    Do they need o be run with the maxle lite, or can a stronger axle be used as I run hope hubs and I have heard a few problems there?

chakaping
    Free Member

Do they need o be run with the maxle lite, or can a stronger axle be used as I run hope hubs and I have heard a few problems there?

I’ve heard of problems with rear maxle lites but not front ones.

Is that what you were thinking of?

Highland28
    Free Member

Yeh that would be it then, I would be happy running that then. They are a good bit cheaper than the fox and Bos too which is always a bonus.

chakaping
    Free Member

good match for a Mojo too I reckon

Highland28
    Free Member

Cheers, so does anyone know anywhere in Edinburgh that might have the revelations fitted to a bike? Give them a wee bounce to see what they feel like 🙂

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Btw the lyrik is about the same weight as the 36…

Highland28
    Free Member

Having had a wee look online at the revelations can anyone tell me the difference between this one and this one??
    They seem exactly the same to me except for one says it has dual position air, and the tother dual air, oh and obviously the price?

Highland28
    Free Member

NO worries I have worked it out myself, i suppose I answered my own question.

ianpinder
    Free Member

The bos fork is far superior to the 36 float, which in turn is far superiour to any 150mm fork on the market. buy one of the old bos forks, which are a steal while you still can at £750. Only oes left are in the shops, the new ones, are rrp of 1k i think.
    Doesn’t matter about servicing the bos, bos say 1 year for day in day out use, and upto 2 years for normal use.

Highland28
    Free Member

I would love to buy atm, but unfortunately don’t have that amount of money to splash at my bike currently.

the_lecht_rocks

got Fox 2011 Float 36 Fits + Kashima and have Revelation Dual Air Teams on separate bikes.

if weight is king, then I’d go for the Revelation RLT Ti. Faffy set up but wondrous mmid-stroke control, but they look cheap and the graphics are naff paper stick-ons [if that matters to you].

Fox are more mid stroke plush, beautifully stiff but heavier. Do feel like coil hoewever.

i also have 2010 FLOAT 140mm RLC’s which are definitely less controlled mid stroke but as plush as a coil in action.

i had the chance to buy BOS cheaper than the FOX but couldn’t do it. French tat and who knows if they’ll be supported in a years time………..?

MOJO and the FOX service is second to none, and CS is of course king !

Good luck !

dans160
    Free Member

French tat… Yeah, right.

djflexure

Just put the Lyrik RC2DH on my sovereign. Cost £500 which clinched the deal over Deville. Air is quite light. Moved from 170 to 150 myself – easily. Servicing should also be easy. First impressions are really positive. Better suited to my riding than the Fox 140 floats they replaced.

kamina
    Free Member

I quite like the Lyrik, but now I’d honestly get the Deville. You have to wonder how much air RS and Fox have in their forks when you look at the OEM forks CRC blows out every winter. For some reason they have the nerve to charge 3x more for retail products, it’s quite a scam…

Northwind

I’ve only used a QR 150mm 32, not a QR15, but to me it was excessively flexy and I’m not usually someone that’d complain about that… Compared to my old QR Revelations and my newer 150mm maxle Revs it was constantly noticable. OTOH when I switch from my Lyriks to my Revs, yes I can feel a difference as you’d expect but it’s not as intrusive and though I can feel it, it doesn’t cause a problem.

Usually you’d be welcome to a bounce of mine but I just blew up an air seal unfortunately, not the best recommendation I guess but they’re overdue a service anyway and they’ve been flawless otherwise so I’m not bothered. If you don’t mind waiting a couple of weeks til Flotec have done their thing we can see if we can arrange something

Highland28
    Free Member

That is very helpful Northwind and I would take you up on your offer if I wasn’t going back up to the Highlands on Friday. But if/when I come down and I haven’t had a go I will let you know. Its a shame there aren’t more people with the Bos fork so that I could have a go on them as well, and should get a proper go on my uncles 36’s too.

vikingboy
    Free Member

I moved from lyric coil DH forks to devilles @ 160mm and they are better in every way, immediately noticeable and get better with more speed – having said that my 2010 ones will be for sale very soon as I changed frame and need a longer steerer now so have ordered a new pair as cant be fussed replacing steerer on my existing ones.

Highland28
    Free Member

Vikingboy – When about would you be changing, and what length of steerer is on them. I may be interested if i had the money at that point. Does anyone know if it is possible to send the Devilles away to get them lowered to 140/150 from 160mm or are the fixed?

Northwind

Yup, Vikingboy, I’d be pretty interested in those too. It’s not that I don’t like my Lyriks, they’re great, it’s just that they weigh more than my car.

Highland28, they can definately be shortened, but I don’t know if 140mm is possible or just 150mm. But it’s a permanent shortening.

loco_pollo
    Free Member

Vikingboy me too, let us know when you ebay/classified them. How long is the steerer?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Fox 36 or Bos Devile’ is closed to new replies.