Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Which washing machine and fridge?
  • Jammy111
    Free Member

Both have given up the ghost within about a week! Washing machine no longer drains (its an awful cheap tricity bendix thing) and fridge is making an awful noise so I think the condenser has had it.

I dont really see the point in spending a few hundred getting them both fixed so the question is what do I replace them with?

Splash the cash and go for miele, or go for something more middle ground? I dont want something cheap that is going to break in 3 or 4 years!

J

jon1973
    Free Member

Despite recent press, our Beko fridge freezer is great (not on the ‘danger’ list) – never had any problems with it in 5 year. Our washing machine is a Zanussi – no problems with that either – they seem to come highly recommended. Neither were overly expensive – about £250 for each (or there abouts, was a while ago).

cinnamon_girl

Well, you may not want to hear this especially as I am guilty of singing the praises of Miele appliances. However, my 3 year old Miele washing machine stopped working, had a 5 year parts guarantee on it so wasn’t unduly worried. What I did not realise was a service call is over £100. 😯

This washing machine has been in three different houses/areas and used for myself only.

It turned out that the heating element was completely covered in limescale, after 3 years!! I did moan a bit and didn’t get charged.

craigxxl
    Free Member

If the washing machine no longer drains ensure you have drain trap normally behind a little hatch at the bottom of the machine. If it does need replacing I can recommend Whirlpool, all ours (washer, dryer and dish washer) have all been faultless with eldest the washer now 10 years old

Neil-F
    Free Member

Hotpoint Aquarius washing machines are pretty reliable IME.
    I had a Beko FF about 7 years ago, it had lasted 2.5 years. 🙁
    We replaced it with an LG American style one and its been nothing but perfectly reliable. 😀

matt_outandabout

LG washer here – 10 years in and not missed a beat with babies / family of 5 who do lots of mucky sports….

fullysussed
    Free Member

LG washer again, absolutely brilliant, wasnt cheap tho but much better than a miele (steam wash is superb)
    Samsung fridge – great value, great quality, like their Tvs.

Jammy111
    Free Member

so it appears that miele maybe isnt the one to go for. thank god for that as they are bloomin expensive!

ill have a little look at lg washers and samsung fridges but does anyone have any specific recommendations?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Bosch!

No seriously.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

If you give which magazine any credence – and their members reliability scores, the consistently top white goods makes are miele, bosch, siemens, aeg, and john lewis (with IIRC some very important exceptions for specific models).

Specific models of Indesit, hotpoint etc make it onto their list.

Whether buying the slightly dearer stuff saves any money in the long run – I just dont know. Btw – I wouldnt pay to be a which member (get it ever Christmas as a pressie) but it does provide a useful average. Things to avoid like the plague (not me) – Smeg, Zanussi, Dyson(!), Technik, ….

cinnamon_girl

If you give which magazine any credence – and their members reliability scores, the consistently top white goods makes are miele, bosch, siemens, aeg, and john lewis (with IIRC some very important exceptions for specific models

Yes, I’ll second that! Amazing what you find once you starting digging on t’internet … Miele fridge/freezer in my case.

Though funnily enough I’ve recently bought a non-Miele appliance and was shocked at how flimsy it is (Siemens).

mugs
    Free Member

I’ll second Bosch, although I have an indesit washing machine that is now 9 years old and still going strong, despite the wife ALWAYS breaking the maximum weight limit (seriously – she stuffs it so full it’s busting, then wonders why it doesn’t clean very well….) so when it finally goes I’ll be replacing it with another indesit.

I bought one of these Samsung Fridge/Freezers on wednesday and it was delivered yesterday. It replaced a Baumatic which was also 9 years old and only broke once which was sorted by a local repair man although we did have to wait several days for a control board to be shipped from overseas as it’s a lesser make so wasn’t in stock anywhere. It’s too early to tell how well it’ll last, but it seems a good fridge, quiet, well laid out etc…

I’ll say this though – go and have a look at some in a shop. I bought that one thinking ‘oh, steel fronted – it’ll go nicely with our other appliances’ assuming it’d have similarly shaded grey sides. It doesn’t – it has dark grey sides which are ugly as sin. It’s only a minor point, but one that I didn’t pick up on from the head on shots online.

kimbers

was in the same position 12 months ago went for hotpoint for both

very pleased with the washing machine fridge works fine but condensation in a pita go for a frost/condensation free model, was only an extra 30 quid but i was feeling tight

nxb1
    Free Member

@cinnamon_girl
    try here: UK White Goods Forum. Kinda like the STW for the kitchen appliance world.

nxb1

Spud

Just bought a Miele washing machine after our 6yo Bosch gave up, 10 yr parts and labour warranty though. Have an AEG fridge freeze.

cinnamon_girl

nxb1 – thank you, that does look interesting. 🙂

Spud – Miele are now selling their own branded descalers for washing machines. If you are in a hard water area, it may be worth considering.

rickmeister

We are Bosch for the washing macine with CDA for ff and dishwasher.

Dishwasher had a pump problem which is well documented on the internet. Bought the parts for £60 followed the guide and its fixed…

failing this would go Bosch….

rossrobot
    Free Member

We’ve got a Liebherr fridge – can’t comment on durability as it’s only six months old but it’s lovely looking and feels solid.

slackman99
    Free Member

Miele (fridges) are made by a company called Liebherr (who also make some pretty awesome cranes). You can buy a Liebherr fridge cheaper than a Miele. We’ve got one. It looks nice and keeps stuff cold. Nuff said.

jonnyrockymountain

Best fridge freezer ever fisher and paykel
    Not cheap but fantastic had mine 6yrs not a blip but the design, practicality and finish is second to non

wrightyson
    Free Member

Just stay away from CDA and Fagor!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Which washing machine and fridge?’ is closed to new replies.