Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Which trail rims – sun mtx31 or nukeproof am?
  • glasgowdan
    Free Member

As above, which rims would produce a stronger durable wheel? Any issues with either?

honourablegeorge

MTX 31 is more of a Downhill rim, I’d have thought

tmb467
    Free Member

Nukeproof rims are just re-badged sun ringle anyway

31mm is big for a trail rim tho. AM is a 25mm I think

Should be fine with that – but graphics are a bit much

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Interested to hear if anyone runs nukeproof ams and can comment on their toughess/rim dingability

rocketman
    Free Member

Have had some MTX33s for a couple of years now they are super strong but there’s a considerable amount of inertia to get them rolling noticeably more than an EN521 for example. For trail bike use i wouldn’t go near 31s maybe the 29s but even then its strength over everything else

transporter13
    Free Member

Mavic en 321’s for me. I bought a pair and they’ve been perfect

glasgowdan
    Free Member

What about the mtx29 then, perhaps that’s a better comparison. I can handle a 100g weight penalty over those nukeproofs

conkers
    Free Member

My MTX29s hold their shape well with no buckles after 3yrs but I did put a slight ding in the rear after a trip to Cumbria and a lot of scratches from loose rocks but I’m by no means Gnar just lardy. They set up tubeless well with stans rim strip and chunky monkey tyres although a pair of rubber queens blew off destroying the beads but I think that was more a problem with the tyres than rims.
    As said nukeproof rims are rebadged sun rims so the extra for NP is just the stickers.
    If I were to buy again I’d go with mavic 321 521 etc, especially if I got chance to ride in the rocks of Scotland.

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

I’ve been running the Nukeproof AM rims for a couple of months now. Haven’t fallen off or anything, but I’ve been fairly mean to them and they still look perfect. No dings that I can see, but again, I’ve not had them on that long. They do seem pretty tough though, also, it’s pretty easy getting tyres on and off of them which is handy.

Definitely take the stickers off though.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Which trail rims – sun mtx31 or nukeproof am?’ is closed to new replies.