• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • which "smart DNS service"?
  • alpin
    Free Member

was using Unlocator, but the trial period has expired and now they want 50 notes/year.

there are other free DNS services, but which one would you recommend?

cheers in advance.

MSP

I use noip.com, mainly because when I was configuring my router that was one of the preconfigured options (telekom). I was expecting to get an email every month which included a link for continuation of the free service, but I never did and it is still working.

or the other possible answer is overplay.com for the smartdns to get UK TV, netflix etc, I think it costs me 6 euros a month.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Just started using no-ip here too. Works fine so far (BT router so dead easy to set up).

alpin
    Free Member

ok… finished stage one of signing up… now have to complete the foloowing steps:

4. Download Update Client
    5. Verify Hostname Settings
    6. Forward Your Ports

i’m always a little reluctant to download stuff when i don’t know what i’m doing…

is this site kosher enough? when using the free option can i watch iPlayer, 4od, etc?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Does your router support dynamic dns? If so set it up on there (should be just saying which service you’re using and putting in your username/password) – then you don’t need to download/install anything.

allthepies
    Free Member

What do you want the service to do BTW ?

MSP

Which are you setting up?

Just checked unlocator, and overplay is the product I use for that kind of stuff.

no-ip is a different thing altogether.

alpin
    Free Member

want to watch iplayer/ other UK content.

so what does noip.com do?

so my best bet is to cough up the 5€/month and be done with it?

MSP

so my best bet is to cough up the 5€/month and be done with it?

yep

Noip updates your routers íp address to a name.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘which "smart DNS service"?’ is closed to new replies.