• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by RicP.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Which ski socks?
  • ncfenwick
    Free Member

Going skiing soon and looking for some warm, comfortable ski socks. Can anyone recommend any?

Salomon Mission look decent…

Cheers

lunge

Nice thin wool ones if you’ve got your own boots, I like the Smart Wool ones though they are not cheap.

Whichever thick ones are cheap if you’re hiring as you need something to take up the excess space in the boots.

legend
    Free Member

Smart Wool

/thread

uwe-r
    Free Member

After three seasons being a bum in the Alps mostly snowboarding but also skiing – i ended up wearing whatever was clean, and i mean any old socks – even the girls socks.

Conclusion – makes no diffrence unless it is really cold then you need two pairs. 😯

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Smartwool are good and you can actually wear them for a couple of days per wash, if needed.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I just wear every day thin wool socks from M&S as toasty warm as any ski specific sock I have warn at times.

Avoid ski socks that have padding at pressure points ie around the toes, heel and shin. They are the exact points you want to be able to feel whats happening.

If you get sore feet its because your boots dont fit, not because your socks arnt thick enough.

DezB
    Free Member

Lidls. You may laugh, but they are the best ski/board socks around. Real wool for £4.99 (when they stock them)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Smartwool are the dog’s danglies.

ncfenwick
    Free Member

Smartwool look the biz, might just be the one pair purchased though!

sam_underhill

I had some new Icebreaker ones for my trip a couple of weeks ago. Various thicknesses available depending on boot fit / how much you feel the cold.

I’ve got the really thin ones (boots are a really close fit) and they kept my feet warm (enough) in -20. Very comfortable and no smell – merino rocks!

DezB
    Free Member

Go on give us a laugh – how much for Icebreaker ski socks?

seanoc
    Free Member

You may laugh but for Alpine skiing I’d never wear anything other than 14 dennier pop socks – yeah, that’s it, tights.

Most people have cold feet because thick socks restrict blood flow. I’ve been fine at -30 in Canada and -40’s in Lapland/Norway with just tights.

If you try it you will not wear ski socks ever again.

RicP
    Free Member

seanoc +1

I will only wear very thin socks.

These actually http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18123

Endura Coolmax

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Which ski socks?’ is closed to new replies.