Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Which Singlespeed MTB under £1000?
  • kbrpro
    Free Member

Hi Guys,

On the look out for a singlespeed at the moment. Looking for recommendations. I don’t mind building one or buying a complete bike. Recommendations please.

Thanks

jeffl

Didn’t canondale do one, trail SL I think. Brakes were pap but they’re cheap to change.

breadcrumb

I really rate my Kona Unit, the rear hub seemed a bit ropey though.
    Are you after a rigid?

kbrpro
    Free Member

Wouldn’t say no to front fork but really after rigid me thinks. Booked to test ride a cannondale trail sl ss as I really like the look of that, read the same about the brakes as well.

Duffer
    Free Member

There’s allsorts you could build for £1k. Swift? Inbred? Simple?

Currently building an Inbred, myself.

Sam

Can build you a Swift for around £1000.

kbrpro
    Free Member

My wifes got an inbred ss. Very nice bike. Ridden my friends Onone SS Scandal. Looking for peoples opinion of what they like best. The swift looks like a nice frame sam

breadcrumb

I’d consider one of these too.

kbrpro
    Free Member

Anyone ridden/own an on-one lurcher?

I’ve always wanted a Karate Monkey….that would be so cool! Not sure about the bike, I think the wiggly seat tube puts me off a bit. Have you got one breadcrumb?

tonyg2003

One of my riding buddies has a Cannondale Sl. A quick swap to Deore brakes and it’s good to go. Very nice bike.

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

Another vote for the Kona Unit… I shopped around online and got the previous years model with a £200 reduction….

As mentioned above the rear hub is awful but not exactly a deal breaker given your budget…

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Kinesis Decade Virsa, plus you can go geared if you want to return to normality and shave the beard. 😀

plumber
    Free Member

On One 853 SS and rigid – my most used bike

bikebouy
    Free Member

New – tight budget
    S/H – you’ll find something loved and cherished perhaps?

binno
    Free Member

Kona Unit 29er, excellent. I have the 2014 model, which is a big improvement size and handling wise for me over the previous geometry. Rear wheel is total fine on my bike, might have been improved over past versions.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

In true STW fashion I recommend the one I own which is also the only single speed I’ve owned since my BMX when I was a kid. Kona Unit 2013. Looks the dog’s danglies and that’s the main reason I recommend it 😆

In case you wanted some serious feedback, I will say it is not a very light or flickable bike. It’s a bit of a brute and encourages/necessitates a steamroller style of riding. Some like that, some don’t. It was certainly a very different kind of ride to the rigid hard tail 26er I had before [EDIT] which was like riding a feather.

nbt

although the 853 inbred was the nicest bike I’ve ever owned, I would advise NOT buying the SS 853 inbred currently in the classifieds but instead looking to build up an aluminium framed SS with carbon forks. They ROCK

[url=https://flic.kr/p/cW9HPj]ScandAl[/url] by Notoriously Bad Typist, on Flickr

Paceman
    Free Member

A Charge Cooker SS is serious fun in the woods for £699 and a great frame ripe for upgrading at a later date if required.

http://www.chargebikes.com/bicycle-collection/cooker-ss

firestarter
    Free Member

cannondale sl ss for 750 deore brakeset for 77 plenty left for cheese and beer 😉

kbrpro
    Free Member

nbt – that pic must have been taken on the very first day, I’ve never seen it that clean 🙂 There’s a lot of love for the Kona, might have to seek one out for a test. I am very tempted by the cannondale if I’m honest.

40mpg

although the 853 inbred was the nicest bike I’ve ever owned, I would advise NOT buying the SS 853 inbred currently in the classifieds but instead looking to build up an aluminium framed SS with carbon forks. They ROCK

😯

I’d definitely take a VERY CLOSE look at that 853 Sliding Dropout Singlespeed Inbred in the classifieds as it ticks all your boxes – plus you’ll have lenty of cash left for coke / hookers 8)

qwerty
    Free Member

OoooooooO that Charge Cooker SS looks nice (and the 15.5″ would fit me). The Cannondale looks good too, but any rigid aluminium fork made by Cannondale is gonna be brutal. Buy the Cooker…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve had a Swift and an El-Mariachi. Both good, the Swift is more typical steel, the E-M is stiffer, so I’d recomend either. The frame only is possibly better VFM, the E-M hubs weren’t great, finishing kit is average/heavy, cranks were basic, brakes typical avids (great, but needed a lot of bleeding to get right).

firestarter
    Free Member

Ive had as ss the karate monkey, swift, inbred and el mariachi out of all of those id rate the inbred the nicest ride tbh but the worst for paint longevity and rusting. The others were very nice but the salsa seemed to aesthetically have the edge. Also salsa easy to set up as ss with rear disc as was the swift. The km on the other hand wasnt til I swapped the rear hub to bolt thru. Id probably if buying now go for the salsa or the singular as it has a certain something. Tho when I was looking last month It was hard to look past the cannondale tbh

BillOddie

I have a Karate Monkey at the mo, with gears, but it would be great SS.

If you want a 26er, look at the dialled love/hate, but why would you want a 26er?

nbt

if you want a 26er, buy 40mpg’s 853 inbred

but you want a 29er 😉

Sam

You can fit 29+ tyres in a Swift as well 🙂

rollodes
    Free Member

Take Sam up on his offer of a Swift for under £1k. Best singlespeed out there for ride quality and looks.

firestarter
    Free Member

There you go sams the winner then 😉

nemesis
    Free Member

Sam, will that work on my blue Swift? (or 26″ fat?)

Sam

Nemesis – I have the new forks that take a 29+ tyre in old blue – drop me a mail for details.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Ive had as ss the karate monkey, swift, inbred and el mariachi

Serial bike buyer or all of those bikes were actually rubbish 😀

firestarter
    Free Member

serial bike buyer 😉 totally regret selling my el mariachi rohloff tho ;(

HughStew

Oh bugger. I had just about decided on a Charge Cooker SS, the only worry being the ability to put anything over 2.2″ tyres on it, and then the Singular idea is planted in my mind. Hmmmmm.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I had 2.2’s in my swift with ooodles of mud clerance.

donks
    Free Member

I have a fire eye flame (m) frame in green for sale which has swap out drop outs. I ran it SS for quite a while. £100 posted? It’s in pristine nick as it never went off road and I only rode it a handful of times.

I replaced with a santacruz chameleon, just because I want something more BMXy and I flippin love it but the fire eye was damn good, just couldn’t jump it too well.

ceepers

this makes the charge look fun!

Duffer
    Free Member

I’m an On One fanboi.

I’d take Sam up on the Swift offer.

HughStew

I’m kicking myself I didn’t go for the kickstarter offer for the rooster. How does the swift differ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Which Singlespeed MTB under £1000?’ is closed to new replies.