Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Which shadow+ rear mech?
  • Lakes_Puma

Just been refunded for an XT shadow+ mesh under warranty.

Do I just go ahead and order another XT one or are any of the others lower down the range just as good?

stevied
    Free Member

If running 1×10 you could go for a Zee FR which works on 11-36 cassettes.

Northwind

May work, won’t always- depends on the chaingrowth in the bike design.

The only practical difference i noticed between my slx and xt was that xt had bearing’d jockey wheels, SLX had bushings. But I don’t think that actually matters- it did with older Shimano but the bushings will probably outlive the wheels

Lakes_Puma

Cheers northwind that’s the kind of info I was after

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’d say that the XT was better built than the Zee. The lever arm for instance ( which bent on my Zee) is a nicer cast type rather than pressed.

mcnultycop

I like a Zee just because it is so small and avoids crap.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

i find slx+ better value no difference at all from my xt+ all med cage (shifter plays big part of this i guess) didnt find love for the zee, maybe because i have 40t cog and dont’t shift as crisp as slx+ xt+

matther01
    Free Member

If anything I think the SLX parallelogram is stronger due to the extra weight in it.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I got a deore from Merlin when it was £20 and I know it might hit a rock on any of my regular rides. SLX seem good value to me. I had an XT but that exploded when i hit a drop and it landed on a rock.

Northwind

YoKaiser – Member

I’d say that the XT was better built than the Zee. The lever arm for instance ( which bent on my Zee) is a nicer cast type rather than pressed.

I’d agree with that, it’s definitely nicer. But does it matter, other than on the scales? Not sure. I still fitted XT, because I’m a tart. They both seem pretty impressively tough though, clutch mech aside.

I’ve a feeling the Zee’s overall survivability is a bit compromised by the saint parts- like they’re too strong for the SLX parts so the weakest part breaks, where normally the entire mech would give a bit

oxym0r0n

Slx medium cage has been flawless for me and imho looks better/cleaner than the xt one. Only problem is it has got a small water trap on the back 😯

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Which shadow+ rear mech?’ is closed to new replies.