Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Which roof mounted bike carrier?
  • breadcrumb

Already got some Thule aero bars, just need a carrier to go with them.

Current bike is a Solaris. Would like something simple and quick to use.

Thanks.

cp

I use Thule 591 and think they’re excellent. Cheap on eBay from Ford dealers…

vincienup
    Free Member

If I was buying new, Thule 598 cos of the Fatbike friendly wheeltrays that will also be handy if you plus.

If buying sh, Thule 591’s for everything else and keep putting Fatbike in boot when it’s out playing…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Got a 598 and a 591. The 598 is appreciably better, but both are adequate

trademark
    Free Member

My 532 racks couldn’t be easier to use.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Thule 591 for me. Easy to get spares too if you lose bits.

breadcrumb

Thanks for the replies.

A 591 can be had for £60 and the 598 for £87.

Is it £27 better?

iainc

^^^ I just sold my 4 yr old 591’s and am picking up 598’s from Halfords this morning. They are definitely better – easier to setup, wheels tray straps are better, main clamp a bit more simple and secure.

(oh, and they can be had in stealth black too 🙂 …….no, I have ordered silver ones…)

momo

If you think you might one day want to try B+ wheels in your Solaris, go for the 598, otherwise 591s are great. I’ve had a pair for a few years and happily drove to Morzine and back this summer with downhill bikes on the roof with no worries.

hatter

I’d go 598, they are just that bit better and with the 591’s no longer in production spares support is likely to be easier a few years down the line.

timmys

A 591 can be had for £60 and the 598 for £87.

Is it £27 better?

100% yes

benp1

My aerobars and 591s work fine with my Mk1 Solaris. I’ve had them over 4 years now

If I was buying now I might consider the 598s, just in case, though unlikely to be trying B+ anytime soon

jamesfts
    Free Member

Depending on how you drive, the type of journeys you do and the front axle of your forks it may be worth looking at the 561.

With 15mm or 20mm axle for they’re a more secure solution to the 591/8 and you’ll have less junk on the roff of the car (if they’ll be permanently fitted), I have both and find the 561 easier to load, the bike wobbles about less and is more secure for longer journeys/motorways/fast A and B roads. Also if you have cables running down your down tube the 591 can crimp/rub these if not careful.

There is the obvious faff of fitting/removing the front wheel pre/post ride with the 561 and if you have multiple bikes with different fork axles it is a pain to switch between mounts so better to go with a 591/8.

warns74
    Free Member

Have 591 and 598 and would happily spend the extra on the 598. The new clamp design is better and more forgiving at the contact points and the torque limited tightening mechanism is great too, especially if you ever put a carbon frame in.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

As above. Got 591s and they’re great, and also squeeze in 2.8 tyres. Would buy 598s happily.

mc2
    Free Member

I’ve used 591’s for years but got a new 598 last week and it is far better.

Better frame clamp, wheel trays and ratchet for wheels.

Well worth the extra IMO

breadcrumb

Cheers, I’ll search for the best buy on 598, unless a cheap 591 crops up second hand in the meantime.

iainc

Cheapest I found was Halfords at £85.50 after BC discount.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

If you really want two let me know – N+1 applies to bike racks as well! I’ve just removed my two 591’s as i’m selling the car and getting a camper van so they’ll be going up for sale. They were bought as a pair so share the same key. Not advertised them anywhere yet as i’m off away with work in a few days so was waiting till I got back before advertising. In great nick, been on the roof for a few years, but you’d never tell apart from being a bit dirty, but nothing a bit of soap and water won’t sort out. Plenty of decades of useful life left in them yet. One of the plastic rear wheel sliding strap carriers broke (a clumsy mate tripping up as he was loading his bike and dropping his bike on it!), but they are only a tenner to replace – I just never got round to replacing it and have been using a strap. Got the T-nuts for aerobars (i’ve got aerobars) and the other fittings for other types of bars.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Another vote for the 598. Excellent kit.

iainc

First drive today with 598’s and wingbars on new car and they are a lot more noisy than 591″s and wingbars on last car. Both big estates, flush rails, bars in same position on both….

breadcrumb

Thanks for the feedback.

Ordered myself a 598 from CRC, £79.99 after having a random welcome voucher already in my basket.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Which roof mounted bike carrier?’ is closed to new replies.