Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Which one to get rid of? Forks or frame…
  • dooge
    Free Member

Hey all,

So I sold up my DH bike and have gone back to a do it all style. I have saved and scraped and bought a good spec of parts and components and I finally bought a frame a few days ago.

Ive always wanted a Nomad and I bought one that had been freshly painted, new decals and bearings. To say I was excited was an understatement! Until I realised I had bought a frame with 1/1 8th headtube and I have tapered forks! I have never shouted b*ll*cks with such enthusiasm! 😥

So, question is do I get rid of the frame or the forks?

The frame is a medium mk1 Nomad and if I’m honest, may be a tad too small and I really wanted a mk2 for the revised geo and greaseports.

The forks are Fox 34 Talas CTD’s that are pretty much new. Just to get riding Im tempted to sell the Foxs and get some Lyrics but still not sure…

mildred

I’d get rid of the frame – forks are daft money; you sound like you know the background to these whereas the frame is old, likely to have been ragged to within an inch of its life (based in the nature of the frame & it needing a paint job), and without warranty or come back if it snaps tomorrow. Nukeproof mega frames etc. are cheap in the sales and benefit from a warranty; they’re also popular & easy to sell on if it doesn’t float yer boat.

dooge
    Free Member

Ive been into biking for years but have ‘fallen off’ the passion a little and was hoping this would rekindle it a bit. I realised just doing DH was too easy, I miss the uphills and ride to’s aswell.

That is was I’m inclined to do as well. Everyone is going tapered steerers, if I ever decide to change my fork I wont be able to. I dont suspect the frame to be ragged and I dont know the history to either fork or frame (thats the risk of second hand) but the forks literally look like new with a tiny bit of cable rub in one place.

z1ppy

Have you investigated a set of 1 1/8 forks, if you keep the frame? Doubt there much out there new, and what will happen in say 3 years time if they need replacing again?

dooge
    Free Member

Well I can pick up some 36s or more than likely, Lyriks. I was hoping the frame would last me a decent few years hence why I wanted to get that right. Foxs range of high end forks and I suspect Rockshoxs as well are going to start only coming in a tapered steerer as thats just how things go.

chestrockwell

Frame would be gone for me with regret. I’ve just got a decent set of second hand 1 1/8th forks for one of my frames after waiting for ages for a decent set to turn up at sensible money. I wouldn’t have bothered if the frame didn’t mean something to me.

The whole tapered fork issue cheeses me off far more then the move to 650b. 👿

dooge
    Free Member

Hmmmm, seems like I will be readvertising the frame pretty soon! Im glad Im not the only one thinking I should future proof myself against changes in ‘standards’ of biking. Changes are progress but my pockets are not deep enough!

Chainline
    Free Member

New 36’s will also be available in 1.1/8″, Bos deville are too. I thought Marzocchi were as well.. Not suggesting you don’t sell frame but I don’t think the forks are a problem.

Northwind

I’d ditch the frame but then, I’ve nothing nice to say about Nomads, you obviously do.

dooge
    Free Member

Ive never really ridden one but Ive always wanted to try one. I may end up hating it!

chilled76
    Free Member

On account of saying you really wanted a mark 2 and this one might be a touch too small get rid of the frame.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Which one to get rid of? Forks or frame…’ is closed to new replies.