Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Which Maxxis Highroller do i want 60, 70 dual ply, single ply?
  • stonemonkey
    Free Member

Looking for some new tyres for all the year round in the peak district and Maxxis HR / Minion seam to be well recommended but which ones are the best single ply, dual ply 60-70 durometer etc .

Cheers ears

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Single ply 60a

grumm
    Free Member

dual ply 42a 😉

rancho
    Free Member

single ply 60a/62a rear 2.1 / single ply 42a up front 2.35.

mushrooms
    Free Member

2.35 minion 60a

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

High Rollers btw- Minion is a dry tyre.

mushrooms
    Free Member

I would still take a minion over a HR for all year round use, maybe not on the rear. But then a high roller has a ramped tread that looks at least like it would suck for climbing.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Know what you mean- neither is ideal.

I've got Ardents- very pleased so far

lunge

2.35 60a High Roller, single ply.
    I would put a 2.25 60a Advantage on the back as well but that is not what you asked!

sp
    Free Member

rancho – Member

single ply 60a/62a rear 2.1 / single ply 42a up front 2.35.

I'm curious – why the 2.35 upfront and not a 2.1?

Badgerpoo
    Free Member

2.1 High Rollers are silly narrow and no where near as good as the 2.35, I would go with 2.35 front and back. They are roughly equivalent to normal 2.1" size.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Ok I'm open to other tyres…

proabaly go for a 2.35 60 single ply front and a 2.35 minnion dhf single ply on the rear.

Andy-W
    Free Member

with single ply would you not get pinch flats in the peaks ??

I ride most weekends around Ladybower and Edale and use 2.35 minion dual ply on the front and 2.35 high roller dual ply on the rear…heavy yes but no flats so far

rancho
    Free Member

I've been running a 2.35 42a SP HR on the front and a 2.1 62a Maxxis monorail for trail XC and 4X duties which is a combo I,ve stuck with longer than any other!

I would,nt touch a dual ply if there are ANY climbs on yr usual riding – they are soul destroying! lol.

Andy-W
    Free Member

Tell me about it I went from light weight conti's to dual ply maxxis and a super tacky on the front

stuck with them to try and biuld the legs up 🙂

Paceman
    Free Member

What's so good about the new(ish) Maxxis Ardents?

Single ply 60a 2.35's front and back is my current set-up.

andycs

Kenda Nevagal dual compound.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I'm curious – why the 2.35 upfront and not a 2.1?

Largely because you want the larger volume tyre on the front as this is the one doing the steering and control. Kona were the first to do this on their production bikes back in the day; the Joe Murray tyres were always 2.1 front and 1.85 rear, or thereabouts.

Whether you want Dual or single ply depends on how fast and heavy you are. I couldn't get away with a single ply on the back in the Peak; i'd pinch flat all day long. However if you run them tubeless, then a single ply will be fine.

Forget super tackys or the even stickier slow reezay; you'll drag like a queen in Brighton with them.

The Minnions DHF for both front and rear will have less rolling resistance than the High Rollers but they will break traction slightly quicker in the turns, especially on loamy soil (of which there is almost none in the peak!).

MRanger156
    Free Member

I'd go for 62a for front and rear. The 42a are fanastic tyres for grip but not for pedelling! 2.1" front and rear works for me, I'd rather have a quicker setup. The 2.35" ones are a fair bit chunkier with bigger knobs so will offer more grip.

Go for a 2.1" on the back though, less rolling resistance. Advantage also good on the back as is a crossmark in the summer.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Oh – single ply, maxxis sidewalls are pretty strong and the weight penalty of the dual plys is not worth it unless your getting a lift to the top!

VooDoochild
    Free Member

Highroller 2.35 single ply F/R
    Front > supertacky 42a
    Rear 60a

This combo works wonders in most conditions altough a bit slow/draggy
    For the realy long rides I often use a 2.25 Nobby Nic in the rear.

Less drag but still a balanced ride.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Which Maxxis Highroller do i want 60, 70 dual ply, single ply?’ is closed to new replies.