Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • which good not pricey cx disc wheelset
  • flybywire
    Free Member

On the shortlist are the following factory built wheels

– Easton ea70 £139
    – Mavic aksium disc £132
    Both the above are from rose bikes, is there anything else to consider qr front & rear with 135mm spacing? Looking for preferably all silver but unable to find and weight under 1000g rear 850g front.
    Budget to £150 6 bolt with with Shimano freehub. Thanks

boblo
    Free Member

More money/less weight. Kinesis crosslight cx disc. I’ve just put a pair on my boik and they save at least half a kilo over the OE pair at a real 1.6kg per pair.

brassneck

Where are these EA70s? I’m only seeing £300+ prices, and non disc at that.

jimc101
    Free Member

What about Shimano RX31 (105 @ CRC), Centerlock and black, not sure you will find much that isn’t black, and Centerlock is as good, if not easier to use then 6 bolt.

shermer75
    Free Member

These look pretty good, if you don’t mind using mtb 29er wheels on a cross bike:

Shimano £129.99

flybywire
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions.. rose did have ea70 set last week 2012version it appears they’re now sold.
    Not keen on Shimano cup + cone & the kinesis crosslight are too many £s but are gvfm as had them on a previous bike.
    Building one of the silver planet x london road framesets for a budget 😉

shermer75
    Free Member

Hmm, you are asking for a shimano free hub though? As far as I know all shimano hubs are cup and cone bearings…

jimc101
    Free Member

For the budget your looking at, given what you have suggested thinking cup and cone is mainly what’s going to be available, even Fulcrum who used to have cartridge bearing at all levels now have cup and cone at their lower end.

shermer75
    Free Member

Looks like those Easton EA70s are still there:

Rose Bikes

magowen100
    Free Member

Chosen hubs/Alex rims at Merlin-http://www.merlincycles.com/pro-build-chosen-hub-alex-cx28-road-cx-disc-wheel-700c-81721.html

1600g the pair and can run tubeless. I’ve been hovering over the buy button on these since last week but i haven’t been able to find any reviews. I might take a risk myself but the postage and tax costs here in Norway make it less attractive. If you’re in the Uk I think they are the best value for money I’ve found on line.

flybywire
    Free Member

Couldn’t locate the ea70 wheels earlier cheers for the link

I think the handbuilt Merlin wheels are superb that magowen100 has suggested, they have a good rep for building in the uk. Probably go for those instead of the aksiums esp considering the relatively low weight.

flybywire
    Free Member

I know the cx28 rims are good as were oe on a CX bike owned last year and felt non-flexi. Hubs are probably joytech or similar.

magowen100
    Free Member

If you buy them please do a quick review on here! 🙂

flybywire
    Free Member

Will do although may be 6-8weeks before completed

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘which good not pricey cx disc wheelset’ is closed to new replies.