Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Which Dynamo USB thingy to get?
  • officerfriendly
    Free Member

I’ve got my first Dynamo hub as par reccomendations of you good folk here! (SP-PD8 incase anyone’s wondering). I now need the USB thing so I can charge my devices, but I’m not quite sure what to get. Some of them are very expensive, in terms of more affordable options I’ve found this for £39 and this for £25, can anyone offer me a helping hand? Thanks 🙂

scotroutes

There’s been a few thread on this over on the bearbonesbikepacking forum, including mention of those devices. I’d head over there…..

http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB3/index.php

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

is it for mtb or road?

If road, and if you don’t already have a light, you might want to consider the luxos u, which is a decent road light plus usb out. it’s around £80-90 i think though. Only worth it if you need the light anyway.

Mowgli
    Free Member

This thing is ludicrously expensive but about the neatest option there is.

Bez

If you’ve not bought a light yet, the Luxos U is a good option; or there’s the Axa Luxx 70 if your budget’s tighter. I tend to order dyno kit from Germany (Rose, Starbike, Bike24, in that order of preference) as it’s *much* cheaper than the UK.

I *think* the Reecharge one you link to is missing a diode that protects it from getting fried, but I may well be wrong. Have a search on the CTC and YACF forums, it’s been discussed on both IIRC.

There’s also the Kemo M172 at £25. I’ve used it and it works fine, although it’s not a tidy or attractive solution.

MarkE25

I use a sinewave revolution and have been really happy with it so far. Wired in tandem into an sp hub along with an exposure revo. You can then charge garmins/iPhones/helmet lights etc from it. Current is regulated to protect the charging device. Garmin/iPhone only charges over about 15kph tho which can be problematic on rough off road sections (unless you’re much faster/stronger than me)! Only available direct from sinewave in US at the moment I think so import duty adds to the cost, but it seems a great solution and has been very reliable over the 10 months I’ve owned it

jameso

If money wasn’t a concern, the new Sinewave stem cap USB would be my choice I think. As it is I’m trying a homebrew box unit, will report back if it works. It’s a USB out with cache battery.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve got two different Kemo ones (and two different SP-PD8 hubs)

M172 and M172N

I bought the M172N as I broke the USB plug on the M172 and as it was a week before I needed it for the LEL I didn’t want to risk my dodgy re-wiring. I think it works though.

You can have the M172 for a tenner if you want.

ratherbeintobago

For those using a Plug/Reactor, do you really need a pass-through SFN, or is it practical passing the words through the gaps?

scotroutes

Depends on the SFN. If the tabs are lined up OK it’s fine. If they are “staggered”, it’s not.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Which Dynamo USB thingy to get?’ is closed to new replies.