Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • which affordable disc brakes have most progressive feel/good modulation ?
  • kaiser
    Free Member

my SLX are starting to feel rather “wooden” ie ” on or off ” if you know what I mean. I’d really like to have a more controllable progressive feel ..somewhat similar to how a good v brake feels but with more power and no rim wear! Can’t really justify top dollar stuff .
    Also would changing to a different pad compound make a noticeable difference …think I have ss kevlar at the mo.
    thanks in advance
    Bill

GeForceJunky

Sram DB5 if you can find them. I have 2 pairs and they are a very nice progressive brake. Can be had for <£40 each if you can find stock.

chakaping
    Free Member

Are Sram Guide R’s affordable?

Much better modulation than comparable Shimanos anyway, similar level of power.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bleed and pads for your SLX would be my suggestion.

tillydog
    Free Member

Pads make a big difference, IMHO. Try going back to Shimano resin ones.

kaiser
    Free Member

Yes may try different pads . can’t see how bleeding them would make them less on /off in feel ..if anything it’s likely to do the opposite if anything? tbh wouldn’t mind a slightly squishy feeling as long as plenty of power was available.

bigjim

I prefer my deores to xt and slx for this reason. Zee much better still though

tjagain

I was going to say second-hand hope mono minis until I looked on ebay and saw what they are going for!

benpinnick

Sram DB5 if you can find them.

What he said….

matt_outandabout

My Magura MT2’s have bags of modulation.

julzm
    Free Member

+1 for SRAM Guides. I thought Hopes were the absolute best for modulation until I tried Guides. It seems you can have decent stopping power and bags of modulation in the same product.

I’m never going back to Shimano. It’s the most inconsistent experience ever and requires far too much fettling. Current SRAM brakes came with the bike. It’s done 900 miles so far and the brakes haven’t needed any love whatsoever other than new pads.

Northwind

2011-onwards Formula The Ones, people pretty much give them away used and they are fantastic. The set on my carbon xc bike used to be on my dh bike, I have a set on an enduro bike and a fatbike, they’re light enough, strong enough, and reliable enough for all those jobs. Love ’em.

Parts are pisstakingly expensive though.

Andy_K

Another DB5 vote here. I got them on my NP Scout, thinking they’d be the first thing I’d change.

Still got them.

therevokid
    Free Member

+1 bigjim … my deores are way better “feeling” than the slx on the HT

joebristol

I’m a sram Guide fan myself had the older rs and the current r. Don’t think they’re classed as affordable though.

Got some Deores on my play / commute hardtail and they’re ok. They don’t feel in / off like my mates SLX brakes do – but they’re the last gen deore brakes with quite long levers that I got from eBay as new / old stock.

Not a patch on the Guides though.

ratherbeintobago

Are SRAM Levels any good?

andyg1966

I’ve got a pair of Sram Guide RS for sale imminently. OEM of a Trek Stache 9.8. Rear will need bleeding since its internally routed.

includes 180 Sram rotors but no adapters and a spare set of EBC pads.

£100 delivered?

Ironically I prefer the feel of shimano!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘which affordable disc brakes have most progressive feel/good modulation ?’ is closed to new replies.