Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • Where's your 'playground'? Tell me about your favourite place…
  • hora
    Free Member

Thats a classic crash pic! how did the rider manage that one then? looks like a fairly easy roll-in?!

Deliverance is deceptive- its got a steeper first couple of metres with roots etc and its very very loose fine earth with along (steepish) straight roll in. Its the fine earth etc that catches you out.

spacemonkey

I have. With FG as my witness on the first ride out on a Blur4x, I also made sure I didnt scout it first- just rolled up and straight down. I shouted and jumped up and down at the bottom

Nice one. R E S P E C T 😀

WhatafackinLiberty
    Free Member

Has to be Yair forest in the Scottsih Borders for me which is on my back door (and front door) step. It also plays host to some of the Selkirk Merida. Beautiful views, big climbs, swooping singletrack, rock steps, bomb diving buzzards and so much more. From door to door: 1hr. 45 minutes of 'glad to be alive' bliss.

🙂

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Great thread guys, keep posting those pics

LoCo
    Free Member

Welsh valleys, the natural trails in the Cwmcarn area as well as the trail centre.

hora
    Free Member

Loving the Border' 😀

footstomper
    Free Member

The perfect ride locally has to start on the Darwen Moors ride over to Rivi do the local trails, climb up to the mast fly down the other side then ride back over to Darwen for one of the decents from the tower 😀

tracknicko
    Free Member

Bolehillz.

or the peak?

freeridenick
    Free Member

one of my local trails, literally 15 min ride from my doorstep – mucho fun
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F6v40KBj2Y

hora
    Free Member

freeridenick – Member
    one of my local trails, literally 15 min ride from my doorstep – mucho fun
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F6v40KBj2Y

Sooo many line choices 8)

oopnorth
    Free Member

DaveyBoyWonder – Member
    Norland Moor and North Dean Woods, Halifax. Contains every type of riding you can imagine in a small area. Moorland singletrack, rocky singletrack descents, smooth light speed fast singletrack, technical climbs, rocks, roots, steps, jumps, super tech stuff, steep stuff, mellow stuff, woodsey stuff, wide open multi line stuff and lots of places to just sit with amazing views and watch the world go by beneath you in the valley.

Amen! Just up the hill from me, a great playground! First place I head for some bike fun.

freeridenick
    Free Member

another you can really put the hammer down
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtZfQ7N8opc

Dibbs
    Free Member

Living at the foot of the Quantocks, why would I ride anywhere else?

devs
    Free Member

Same place as this

and this

and this

If I told you I'd have to kill you!

Diane
    Free Member

Aye Yair although 1hr 45 wouldn't be enjoyable 🙂

hora
    Free Member

How did Moorland come about? surely its not all the product of fuel burning and ship building?

Not a fan of moorland. Desolate always springs to mind. I remember the thorn/scratches on my arms for summers riding in Surrey…..singletrack sooo close..

Darn you miss it when its gone 🙁

binners

footstomper – thats one of my very regular afternoon blasts too. Its a belter isn't it? 😀

Mr5O
    Free Member

For me it has to be Blacka Moor as part of my from the front door loop, always plenty to choose from depending on my mood at the time, after that it would have to be Lady Bower

_tom_
    Free Member

Western Park in Leicester, although I can't really waste hours there unless I'm with someone – gets a bit boring riding by yourself

Haven't seen it that green and dry for ages though!

mike_check
    Free Member

Cannock Chase is my 'playground' on the MTB, generally stick to Sherbrook and Severn Springs area if I'm just going for a quick blast around since I can ride to Milford/Brocton in 10-15 mins, but good to link into the 'official' trails or even a bit further afield for a longer ride!

Loads of fun little areas once you know a few of the main 'landmarks'

Sunny Pic just after popping out of some woods before a long drag upwards to the next little spot!

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

cleeve hill, some great descents!

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Proper Bo on Pitch Hill is my favourite playground. The trail that just keeps on giving – short but great fun.

Speaking of deliverance, here's my first attempt at it back in 2007:

Cannock Chase as a favourite playground? You need to get out more.

+1 hora – woods over moors any day.

hora – Member

Deliverance is deceptive- its got a steeper first couple of metres with roots etc and its very very loose fine earth with along (steepish) straight roll in. Its the fine earth etc that catches you out.

Obviously I wasn't there, but I'd say a riders biggest enemy on that slope is himself. Commit and it'll be piss easy, falter and it will hurt you, as with most technical features I suppose, he says stating the obvious.

metalheart
    Free Member

The nearest I've got to that I suppose is Glen Tanar.

Riden it in all weathers and all times of the year.

Has short 1 hour loops to 5-6 hour epics going over the Firmounth and down the Fungle or even bag a monro (and a snakebite puncture or two) on Mount Keen. Usual route has a proper river crossing which can be halfway up your thighs after rain.

Other than that I guess Kirkhill.

Oh, lucky bugger that lives at Yair. I remember an ace race course from there from back-in-the-day…

jonb
    Free Member

I used to live near Rivington as a kid and know the area very well having walked and cycled the hills for about 18 years.

I used to live near the Quantock, I'd like to tell you there the best place I've ever ridden a bike, but to be honest they're rubbish*. 😉

I now most like to ride around Northumberland. I'm loving the road biking. Nice big climbs, stunning wild scenery and proper local villages. Mountainbiking is good but it's taking me longer to find the right places as they're spread out. Kielder is probably the place I've ridden most, I'm liking the long routes out onto the hills rather than the main trails.

mike_check
    Free Member

Cannock Chase as a favourite playground? You need to get out more.

Depends what tracks you ride and how you ride them I guess. Like I said, 10mins ride from my door, playground ain't gonna be a 6hour drive away is it?

Also have some good BMX trails but as this is an MTB site I mentioned where I play on my MTB.

scruff
    Free Member

Mike Check- by BMX trail do you mean Wildwood ?

mike_check
    Free Member

Scruff – Haha yea I do, spent a lot of time digging there in the past! You go down there?

JacksonPollock
    Free Member

Not necessarily my favorite trail but my local 'playground' is Gisburn Forest. Its ace for an afternoon bomb around. There is a fantastic community spirit feel as well what with all the buzz surrounding the new trails and volunteer built sections.

I love it up there. 8)

Tracknicko – that 1st picture wasn't taken in Holehills, beside the 'sporty', was it?

paule
    Free Member

Bolehills (as it's 100m from my door) and Loxley Common are my favorite play spots.

Soon to be more so, as Bolehills is in the middle of a giant refurb

scruff
    Free Member

Mike Ive been over but there too steep for me these days, unless any mellower stuff has been dug ?

mike_check
    Free Member

They are mostly a bit mental now, the new kids have taken over diggin duties! But there's a lot of new stuff gone up over the winter and they kinda start a bit smaller right up into the woods and get bigger as they work there way down to the bottom.

The big sets now are way too big for me nowadays though!

mike_check – Member

Depends what tracks you ride and how you ride them I guess. Like I said, 10mins ride from my door, playground ain't gonna be a 6hour drive away is it?

Also have some good BMX trails but as this is an MTB site I mentioned where I play on my MTB.

I'll admit I've never ridden the 'good stuff', but ffs, I used to almost drive past there every day (from Wolverhampton) on the way to and from work – home being the Peaks. It can be done in less than an hour (just) – disclaimer – if anyone (associated with the feds) works out the miles per hour average, then I'm quite obviously lying.

However, I digress – Peaks an hour away / Cannock's fave place – still doesn't compute, sorry.

Northwind

Mine is probably glentress. Sorry! But it's ace, and I ride there so often that I've really got to know it and appreciate it, in a lot of ways it's where I learned to ride again but it's still a blast, every time.

Locally I've got a couple of spots that I can just go and knock about in, paths and reservoir banks at Harlaw, the DH trails at Bonaly, and a thing that nobody else ever seems to acknowledge even exists, 1 mile from my house with a load of short rooty descents and climbs, a "stepping stone" stream crossing, all sorts of interesting features. I've spent a load of time in these wee spots but still, I'd rather be on Pie Run :mrgreen:

hora
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with Glentress- I like it.

singlespeeddan
    Free Member

Devs i recognise those places from my youf 😀

DaRC_L

The routes from my house – if it involves driving it's hassle…
    so that means anywhere on the South Downs between Chanctonbury (particularly the Upper Horseshoe followed by Woodman's Drop) and Blackcap Hill.
    The Bombholes by Keymer Post also deserve a special mention.

mike_check
    Free Member

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR

I can kind of see where you're coming from, but I think my definition of 'playground' is differing from yours! I can get out the door and be riding by the time I've got my wheel off and got the bike in the car ready to go!

Woods, singletrack and hills that don't take me forever to push back up along with the fact I have a map of the place inside my head make it perfect for me to thrash about for a couple of hours whenever the mood takes me!

jedi

obviously my fave is herts shore. its a mix of north shore,alpine and bmx influences that mkae up a technical challenge that changes every ride 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Where's your 'playground'? Tell me about your favourite place…’ is closed to new replies.