Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Where's the weight in my Stumpy?
  • mccraque

As much as I like my carbon stumpy expert it seems a bit porky for a largely carbon bike. Am wondering what he effective upgrades would be without too much of a compromise. It’s a great bike… just lacks that little snap of acceleration and is a bit of a lump to lug up climbs compared to the zesty it replaced.

Grid casing tyres I’m guessing. Anything else obvious without getting into the realms of carbon wheelsets!?

cloudnine
    Free Member

How much does it weigh?

edhornby

Cassette
    Rear suspension can
    Chainset
    Dropper
    But all of these things are needed otherwise you wouldn’t be riding a stumpy….

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Wheels and tyres I would suggest. light wheels don’t have to be expensive carbon. There’s obvious potential down sides particularly strength and grip.
    I’ve got 2 sets of wheels for my carbon frame.
    Pro2 / flow / highroller
    Superleggera Ti / sapim / alpine / racing ralph

tomhoward

Tyres.

If they are softer compound/wider/lower pressure than previously it’ll feel more sluggish on climbs and to accelerate, even if they don’t weigh much more.

mccraque

Weighs in at about 31.5 lbs.

Assumed the roval wheels were reasonably light. Maybe I’m wrong!

Anything with a decent sidewalk that is a lot
    Lighter than grid tyres? Wondering about the rock razor maybe.

Northwind

TBH if you care about weight, the first thing to do is tear it apart and weigh everything, weight can hide in really odd places on OE kit, brand managers are sneaky about where they cut corners sometimes. My camber had 400g handlebars…

Tracey

Grid tyres not that heavy. Have you gone tubeless if not a bit of weight can be saved for little cost. Our Stumpjumper came with XO1 and doesn’t feel over heavy or sluggish on the ups. Anything heavy in the SWAT box.

mccraque

Tubeless. Empty swat!

timidwheeler

Seems a bit heavy. My half carbon Enduro is only 28.10lbs including protection Trail Kings and pedals.

Tracey

Dirtrag did a review on the medium 29 Expert which came in at 28.1 without pedals which isn’t to bad. It’s alot lower than your 31.5. The Roval wheels aren’t that heavy so going to carbon won’t save much.
    Apart from trying some other scales not sure what else to suggest

PJM1974
    Free Member

Whatever you do, trying to lose weight in the tyres is not really a good idea – the Grid carcass is pretty good at shrugging off stuff that would tear a Control tyre easily. I speak from bitter and expensive experience.

At that component level, you’l be spending quite a bit of cash to trim odd grammes here and there – The wheels may be a good place to start – even if you do as I did and swap to double butted spokes and retain the Roval rims, you might save some weight. My own (2014 Evo alloy) Stumpy is a bit of a bus compared with my Norco Sight, I’ve swapped to a Hope stem, Renthal carbon bars, 1×11 XT 11-42 cassette and Shimano XT cranks – the latter slightly heavier than the SRAM 1250 jobs they replaced but worth it for the non-SRAM BB and durability.

I hate to think how much it weighs, I suspect that I’d probably be shocked if I dangled it from my LBS’s scales.

mccraque

I don’t think my scales are out as the cotic seems about right!

I wouldn’t swap grid for control due to the nature of the bike. It’s my bigger bike for sure (Wales trips and he like) but still want to do South Downs riding (my
    Local) . But I rarely reach for it as my plus hardtail is a more efficient option if I’m trying to keep pace with a group.

I wa surprised when it came in at that weight. Doesn’t seem to be any discernible advantage over the carbon comp, which is a grand cheaper and the same weight.

There’s obviously a good bike in there… but am just not using it with the eagerness and regularity that one usually does with a new machine.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

31.5lb?

Jeffing hell! I’ve got a 9 year old Pitch with Lyriks, 2x9sp Deore and some chunky wheels that weights pretty much the same as that!

Bet you’ve got a dropper post on it……? There’s 1/2lb straight away.

mickmcd
    Free Member

The frames not light for a start

Grid butcher and purgatorys are 1.1kg each and that’s a verified weight

The only benefit is the swat door for me I love that feature

tomhoward

Just do what most folk do, lop 3lbs off the actual weight

mccraque

I could fill the swat door with helium maybe.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I could save a bit of weight on mine from the NX Cassette and Shimano freehub. Maybe different wheels from the Hopes too.

But even mine is lighter than my Wife’s small Cube Sting WLS!

tpbiker
    Free Member

I’d be weighing the wheels first. They may not be that heavy but I bet you’ll be able to save 300 get right there.

That said, it still leaves you a fair bit off what you were probably hoping for..

I know Tom is taking the piss, but I would definitely be suspicious of your scales. My aluminium enduro 26er with marz 55s and functional tyres, dropper and flows weighed not much over 32lbs with pedals. How many times did you weigh it. When I weigh my bikes the same scale can often give a hugely varied number depending on how I pick up the bike. I always weigh mine numerous times and try to get a weight that appears more often than not.

Only then, when I’m absolutely confident will I knock 3 lbs off..

jayx2a
    Free Member

Does seem heavy for carbon. My Alloy trek is lighter than that (on my scales at home anyway!)

damascus
    Free Member

Regardless if your scales are correct or not it’s not lighting your fire!

I really get on with my stumpy. It’s an alliminium one. Ac wide lightening wheels, hans dampf and rock razor tubeless, hope cassette. Xt 1×11. Dropper and pikes.

Confirmed weight is 30 pounds. Might be more or less but I’m happy with the weight. That’s the difference.

As northwind says. Strip it, weigh it, compare it. Find out where they sly weight is

poah
    Free Member

my transition suppressor with a coil, XT 1×11 and no carbon at all is 31.7lb I suspect your scales are out.

Goldigger
    Free Member

I was wondering this exact same question about my 2014 five.

I was at Swinley yesterday, there was a guy with his Mrs in the car park with a 2016 blue 5.

Asked if I could feel the weight of it, defo lighter than mine.

Similar spec. Can only assume my 36 pikes over his 34 foxes and choice of tyres are where the weight is. Plus a bit in the frame.
    Googling the weights of Hans dampf snakeskin pacestar and rock razor super gravity.. There’s 4lbs!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tyres are the one place that weight is not a big consideration.

timber

Fairly sure my ally Patrol with quite a robust mid-range build comes in much the same weight.

As for ride feel, bit more tinkering to be had with shock setup? FSR linkage will be different to what you had on the zesty.

Klunk
    Free Member

it does seem a bit bloated, the wifes medium 2006 Al stumpy comp comes in at 27.5 and the only carbon on it are the bars.

pictonroad

They are porky. I have a carbon Camber. It’s 30lb as delivered with control tyres and revelations. As the frames are exactly the same I reckon your weight is pretty spot on.

I love mine but I can definitely feel the weight over the Mojo it replaced.

Northwind

damascus – Member

Regardless if your scales are correct or not it’s not lighting your fire!

Correct- the number is meaningless, you wouldn’t (or at least shouldn’t) be happier just because it’s 3 less, if the bike rides the same.

eshew
    Free Member

Yep it’s a pig(not really). But forget about the weight. Ride the heck out of it & swap out what you dislike or wear out 1st.

Overall weight should be 2nd to performance. I’d rather have a bike with great ergonomics & suspension that’s 33 lbs than a compromise at 30.

But Bars Stem & Seat are great places to start if you have issues with any of them.

kayak23

cloudnine – Member
    How much does it do you weigh?

Ftfy

I’m resigned to that being the main issue with my medium Rocket which weighs about the same.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Wheels are typically the major weight factor after the frame.

Tyre also yes, but there’s less you can do about that unless you’re going to sacrifice durability & puncture resistance for lightweight.

Wheels though, can be 500g difference in a set between lightweight and heavy ones. Light wheels don’t have to be carbon. Plenty of alloy wheels that are light, and even tough. Problem is they tend to be a lot more expensive also. Carbon wheels are a different thing. It’s more about stiffness than weight.

Still, over 30lbs in a carbon bike. Is it just carbon frame? It also depends what carbon it is as not all carbon is the same. Cheaper carbon tends to be heavier and lighter is more complex to produce but retain the strength, thus more expensive. Other carbon bits? Carbon cranks and bars make a difference. Levers and bits on mechs, less so.

tomhoward

it does seem a bit bloated, the wifes medium 2006 Al stumpy comp comes in at 27.5 and the only carbon on it are the bars.

A lot of bikes will be, compared to that 😉

Back to the op, you’ve said you like it, stop worrying about it, if anything it gives you an excuse when you are slower up the hill than your mates/a sweaty heaving wreck when you get to the top….

rocketman
    Free Member

mba did this a while ago

Rear wheel 18.5% of total weight
    Front wheel 15%
    Fork 14.8%
    Frame triangle 11.38%

They were by far the heaviest items followed by
    Swingarm 4.6%
    Crank arm DS 4.45%
    Pedals 3%
    Chain 2.5%
    Brake rear 2.4%
    Shock 2.2%

and so on and so forth

yoshimi

My carbon Stumpy 29er in medium with pedals, fairly stock is a confirmed 28.5lb on accurate scales

Your figure seems very high

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Where's the weight in my Stumpy?’ is closed to new replies.