Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • Where to live around Huddersfield/Halifax?
  • ElShalimo

Feeling inspired after a recent thread so …… we live in north Leeds but want to move west to make life a lot easier getting to work in Manchester and Kirklees areas.
    Don’t know the area that well (originally from South Manchester), does anyone know any nice areas to live with the following?:
    – nice residential area
    – near (10-15mins walk) to decent real ale pubs & places to eat
    – good bus routes to get into town
    – near to train station
    – near to amenities swimming pool, shops, library etc
    – no kids so don’t care about schools
    – easy access on bike to the moors/hills on bridleways not roads if possible
    – reasonably close to M62 i.e. 10 mins away
    – not too high up to avoid being snowed in
    thanks

wrightyson
    Free Member

Sister lives up that way, she’s lived 5 mins walk from Halifax, also in brighouse which is nice. Hebden bridge also seems a nice town and I think there’s a lot of rides/riders out that way.

hora
    Free Member

I had this dilemma a while ago. I wanted to live in Outlane/Salendine Nook. The missus wanted Stretford. Guess who won 😐

Live near Jct 23 or 24 and you are straight over Saddleworth on the M62.

I’d say Outlane for the win. The only issue is its not near a trainstation. For that you’d have to live closer to town – i.e. Edgerton or Greenhead Park.

cheese@4p

Brighouse ticks your boxes quite well

woody2000

Bloody hell, this must be the millionth thread on this subject recently – is everyone upping sticks and moving at once? 🙂

I’ll say Brighouse as it’s where I live. Ticks all your boxes – recent new leisure centre with pool, good riding from the doorstep, house prices not too bad, good pubs, 5 mins from M62 so easy access to Leeds, Manchester etc and we’ve even got a direct train service to London.

Sold it? 🙂

hora
    Free Member

I once rode from Edgerton to Brighouse when I was 6 on my Stryker.

I wasn’t popular when I was found 😆

ElShalimo

Does Outlane have problems with snow? – it’s pretty high up and not on the A62
    It looks nice as does the outskirts of Brighouse but Clifton appears to be a bit soul-less and expensive too.
    Anyone lived in Golcar/Slaithwaite/Linthwaite/Beaumont Park/Lindley?

mintimperial

Slaithwaite ticks all those boxes. I live in Marsden, but it’s further from the motorway and from Huddersfield. Trains direct from the village to Manchester Victoria take 1/2 hour. You can ride to Marsden up the canal and from here there’s some pretty good riding straight out of the village.

Lindley is nice but much more expensive cos it has a very good school and is two minutes from the motorway. No train station, good LBS though.

hora
    Free Member

Outlane does get snow but I’ve never had an issue getting to and from it from Manchester. The issue has always been other drivers.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

OK, will go with my default answer as well (since its where I live). Skircoat Green/Savile Park in Halifax. A great area to live… takes me 15 minutes to walk to Halifax station, its sub 10 minutes to the M62, has great riding from the door and if real ale pubs is what you’re after, you’re going to be spolit for choice. Houses are a good price – more expensive than anywhere else in Halifax I think but its well worth it. Having Savile Park etc on the doorstep is like having an 8 or whatever acre garden.

What I would say is though if you’re commuting into Manchester by train, I’d probably want to be travelling from Huddersfield station. Much quicker trains from there as the Calderdale line is erm, ‘historic’ (basically gets all the crap old trains other companies sell off when they get nice shiney new ones).

But, its a top place to live. We moved here from York which we loved but we have absolutely no intention at all of moving back.

ElShalimo

thanks
    Commute is actually west side of Manchester just off M62
    Want to be near train station so can go to Leeds, Manchester & London to see family and not have to worry about having a few beers

cheekyboy
    Free Member

You dont want to get snowed in, whats wrong with you ?
    Have you never been snowed in before? its great!

Try looking at Denshaw, close to M62 (j22)

ElShalimo

I can’t get “snowed in” as long as the phone & broadband work. Woe is me.
    My wife however must go to work (NHS) to visit patients who need help

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“My wife however must go to work (NHS) to see patients who need help”

If she could get to them from North Leeds then, surely closer has got to be easier ?!?!

ElShalimo

FunkyDunc –

Not really as it’s not that simple.
    Leeds is at a quite low elevation compared to some towns around Halifax/Hudds and has a larger infrastructure so suffers less from this.
    Generally if you live at the top of the hill you’re more likely to have snow than down in the valley. Plus not all minor roads are gritted/ploughed. So if you live at the top of a hill on a minor road then the likelihood of not going to work is clearly higher.

grum
    Free Member

Everyone’s moving to this part of the world at the moment it seems 🙂

mintimperial

if you live at the top of a hill on a minor road then the likelihood of not going to work is clearly higher.

Nah. I lived at the end of a farm track for five years and never once got stuck there even in my normal FWD family hatchback thing (I do use snow socks though). My dad lives right on top of a hill in the middle of the Pennines and has never been properly snowed in either, he has a FWD diesel (with winter tyres cos he also drives in the Alps). If you were really worried I suppose you could get a proper 4×4 but personally I’ve never seen the point if you’re not a farmer or something.

I did get “snowed in” this year but that may have had something to do with the World Track Cycling Champs being on the telly…

Yorkshire-Pudding
    Free Member

Does Outlane have problems with snow? – it’s pretty high up and not on the A62
    It looks nice as does the outskirts of Brighouse but Clifton appears to be a bit soul-less and expensive too.
    Anyone lived in Golcar/Slaithwaite/Linthwaite/Beaumont Park/Lindley?

If it gets snow it’s only a few times a year and all the main routes clear pretty quickly. I work in Leeds and doesn’t really cause me any problems.

I live in Golcar and think it’s great. Very easy to get to the M62 close to Hudds but far enough away too and great riding from the door in the colne valley and easy to drop into the Holme valley or Calderdale on either side. Canal is in valley bottom so links up Slaithwaite and Marsden very quickly. Nice little village centre with great amenities and lots of character in parts with old weavers cottages and great views. Great choice of pubs and restaurants around the surrounding area. Don’t look too close to Milnsbridge as there is a small council estate down that end, which not too bad but has it’s share of undesirables. Slaithwaite and Linthwaite have nice parts but you are getting away from the motorway and won’t be as easy travel wise. For Beaumont Park you would be better looking at Netherton/Honley but again this is increasing your travel to the motorway.

Lindley is very close to motorway and nearer Hudds with good amenities and good schools if thats a requirement but it’s also more built up and riding from the door not as easy.

Outlane is a good place to look but not very much comes up for sale and some properties on the main road can be a bit close to the motorway noise wise. Also Sowood/Stainland/Jagger Green/Holywell Green/Greetland/Ripponden and barkisland would be areas to suit your requirements.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Yep, Barkisland/Sowood as well as Ripponden are really, really nice but don’t tick the railway station box really.

headfirst
    Free Member

Lindley is very close to motorway and nearer Hudds with good amenities and good schools if thats a requirement but it’s also more built up and riding from the door not as easy.

I live in Lindley, have done since 2000, and I would agree with the above apart from the last part – I can be on singletrack round the back of Wappy Springs in about 10 minutes’ ride, then there are loads of good trails from there.

Although I cycle through Outlane a lot, I wouldn’t live there as it is very exposed – the wind up there in the height of summer will keep you indoors rather than sat out in the sunshine. Also the noise from the M62 would get to me. Having said that, the New Inn at Sowood is our regular ‘decent pub meal out pub’.

Living in Lindley gives you the best of both suburban (loads of good takeouts and shops on the Marsh and in Lindley) and rural (quick drive in the car to take the dogs for a walk round Scammonden).

EDIT: also from experience Clifton is a car-thief’s dream: expensive houses and cars right next to the motorway so they can make a quick exit back to where they came from:Lancashire! 😉

Yorkshire-Pudding
    Free Member

How close do you need to be to the train station? i read it as just for occasional trips to see family without car rather than a daily commute. Barkisland/Sowood/Ripponden are probably as close to a train station as Golcar/Outlane/Lindley and would be a bus ride or a few quid taxi ride away.

hp_source

Saddleworth (Delph, Uppermill, Greenfield villages) will tick pretty much all your boxes with the possible exception of Snow… but even then it ain’t that bad. It’ll certainly cover the biking/drinking/train etc. Greenfield station is approx 25mins from central manchester.

Or you could try Marsden to be over the other side of the hill… lovely village, great pubs, ‘local’ feel 😉

ElShalimo

We both commute by car so the train station is really for social trips for beers/shopping or what’s more likely business trips via Manchester Airport or London.

Yorkshire-Pudding
    Free Member

Golcar would be fine for that. Taxi into hudds for fast train to leeds or manchester. Not far from Slaithwaite which is on the ‘Real Ale Trail’ train line.

ElShalimo

DaveyBoyWonder – Member

was that you on the Black Cotic Soul climbing the cobbles up Birdcage Hill late afternoon on Saturday?

marsdenman
    Free Member

Oddly enough, I live in Marsden….. nothing to see here, honestly, it’s a dive, best looking elsewhere 😉

My wife however must go to work (NHS) to visit patients who need help

Seriously though – MrsMM is also NHS (albeit finance) she commutes to The Royal Bolton every day – car or train both work for her.

Snow – only stopped her 2 days in the last few years. There have been occasions when she has got to work snow on the car, none on the ground for miles around. On other occasions she’s got there from 30+ miles away when colleagues <2 miles away were ‘snowed in’…..
    If snow really does concern you then I would suggest not looking at the likes of Outlane – M62 from there is convenient but you drive over the highest, most open piece of motorway in the country – soon hit by snow…

Scapegoat

Slaithwaite, west slawitt and Cop Hill, Scapegoat Hill ,Golcar and Marsden. All fit your bill. I’d avoid Beaumont Park. It looks great but the houseprices are low for a reason. Mount,Salendine Nook and Lindley all worth a punt.

Scapegoat

If you want a really low crime area try south east kirklees, Kirkburton , Shelley, Shepley, Denby Dale, Skelmanthorpe. Straight out to the M1 for Leeds and straight up the main road onto Hudds. Place is riddled with Bridleways and a good smattering of cheekies.

ElShalimo

Scapegoat – Member
    I’d avoid Beaumont Park. It looks great but the houseprices are low for a reason.

Would you care to enlighten me what the reason is?

Yorkshire-Pudding
    Free Member

Bit too close to Thornton Lodge Innit!

Beaumont Park is really only a couple of roads near the park itself, surrounding areas not too great, although it depends where you’re from in Leeds as you might just think we’re all soft! Riding is great nearby too! (easily linked with most of Huddersfield riding too)

totalshell

littleborough 5 mins form junc 21 m62 pbw mtl canal lake tod and hebby bridge 5mile up road. low lying to avoid snow and CHEAP!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

was that you on the Black Cotic Soul climbing the cobbles up Birdcage Hill late afternoon on Saturday?

No mate (might have been 4 years ago when I owned a black Cotic Soul). It’ll have been me climbing up Birdcage Lane on a black Curtis S1 last night after putting the wee man to bed and walking out the door at 20:05 and getting 90 minutes riding in, sans lights, culminating in this:

Scapegoat

Would you care to enlighten me what the reason is?

Not Thornton Lodge, but Crosland Moor, Walpole and Lockwood.

Check the crime stats: http://www.police.uk/crime/?q=Beaumont%20Park,%20Huddersfield,%20West%20Yorkshire%20HD4,%20UK#crimetypes/2012-03

vs for example, Kirkburton’s

http://www.police.uk/crime/?q=Kirkburton,%20West%20Yorkshire,%20UK#crimetypes/2012-03

ElShalimo

Nice photo, where is it?
    it’s not Savile Park – we looked at the weekend
    😉

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Far end of Norland Moor.

If you looked around Savile Park, the bottom end of the moor is nicer (where I live!) and past the bottom of Manor Heath and into Skircoat Green.

If you want any help/advice on the area, drop me a mail.
    Dave

Yorkshire-Pudding
    Free Member

Ha ha look at you judging everyone from your lofty perch! 😆

ElShalimo

Thanks – no address in profile, mine is though
    😯

Scapegoat

The Colne Valley takes a bit of beating for riding by the way. Here’s a view from my lounge:

hora
    Free Member

My Grandfather had his business in Lockwood and both him, my Dad and Grandmother are buried in the cemetery further up the road.

I wouldn’t live anywhere near there- because of a couple of bad patches nearby sadly.

Around there is nowhere near the motorway though!

mos

Scapegoat, thats the same view as i will be having in a few weeks. As i will be at long last moving into the house i’ve been doing up for the last 3 yrs.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Where to live around Huddersfield/Halifax?’ is closed to new replies.