• This topic has 62 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by GW.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • When did mountain bike technology reach its peak?
  • kudos100
    Free Member

Just got back into mtb’ing after many years and it seems the sport has progressed loads since the early 90’s. I’m building a hardtail and am learning about the different technology available now compared to 93′

Disk brakes and decent suspension seem to be some of the biggest advances, but I wonder how much progression there has been in the last 5-10 years?

How much difference is there between a bike from 2000 compared to 2010?

simondbarnes

There’s light years of difference.

RealMan
    Free Member

Technology peaks an infinitesimal amount of time before the end of the universe.

HTH.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Well in 1885 Daimler put an engine in a bike, arguably we’ve just been a slow luddite niche ever since.

ton

some progress is not as good as the older stuff matey.

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve got a 1999 full suss and a 2009 full suss, amongst many others.
    The newer bike is definately faster but in some respects the 1999 is better, eg SqTpr BBs are much better than these pres-fit thingys.

richmars

Just after both wheels became the same size.

alexathome
    Free Member

More use of carbon and stronger components. Stronger/Lighter essentially. But not that much (if you look at XTR) it hasn’t got lighter really, just stiffer. Disc brakes are way better than they were 10 years ago, and a lot cheaper.

I’d say the main innovations are the forks and rear shocks. Suspension design is better in the mainstream with links that actually work. But designs like the 4 bar i.e. Turner (old 4 bar type) – the Horst link and the type on the Specilized are still running today. Patents etc and an existing working design made other companies innovate i.e. the DW link.

Bikes are better now, but mainly due to the works of RockShox and Fox, my bike would feel pretty much the same with 10 year old components, but change the suspension and it wouldn’t ride as well as it does.

RealMan
    Free Member

some progress is not as good as the older stuff matey.

Not progress then is it 😉

shortcut

It hasn’t reached it’s peak yet!

aracer
    Free Member

Peak? Well that was sometime in 2123.

noteeth
    Free Member

The very apex, IMO.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Square taper is fine, untill it snaps/bends or the cranks snap, or it wears out after about 12 months……..

Costs £25 for SKF bearings to press into hollowtech cups, about the same as UN73 BB’s, and IME last longer.

FAIL
    Free Member

It peaked when the word colour or its plural were replaced with the altogether betterer “colourway”.

kudos100
    Free Member

Peaked was the wrong word 😉 Progression slowed.

cookeaa

There’s a fair amount more marketing shite about these days and apparently even more mugs to hoover it up.

MTB “technology” such as it is hasn’t moved a billion miles since the 90s..

alexathome
    Free Member

cookeaa – Member

There’s a fair amount more marketing shite about these days and apparently even more mugs to hoover it up.

MTB “technology” such as it is hasn’t moved a billion miles since the 90s.

With all respect, that simply isn’t true.

edhornby

I also think that progression is slow – but there is some, in the main suspension forks and rear shocks are improving, look at the length of travel and weight for the relative prices

the next big leap is about to start tho – durable electronics in gears (transferring over from shimano Di2) and also the cannondale stuff in the suspension brain thingy

I’m gonna say that 29er isn’t progress per se just different options, and not sure about hammerschmidt either, it’s a posh sturmey archer in the BB

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

The biggest improvement has been the gradual evolution in bike geometry, coupled to improvements in suspension and lighter stronger “stuff” in general.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

There is no doubt in my mind that stuff does not last as well as it used to – old mechs and bearings just lasted for ever. I am putting a 20 yr old multi thousand mile lx front mech on my bike as it is much superior to a more recent one that is on it

Modern suspension is so much better tho

IanMunro
    Free Member

Depends on what you count as difference, and what type of bike. I think there have been big changes in all mountain/trail bikes, but ones with more specific uses are much the same.
    I’ve got a 2001 santa cruz superlight, 9 years on, the latest frame is a bit stiffer, and you can get stiffer forks, cranks and a slightly slicker gear change, but apart from that, the same bike with 10 years newer technology will still give pretty much identical performance for its intended task.
    Ditto a SS inbred.

samuri
    Free Member

In the last ten years? Full suss is the biggie here as far as I’m concerned. Full suss bike have moved from wallowy, soft, energy spapping armchairs to lightweight, nippy, race machines that can climb as well as they can descend.

Componentry has moved on loads too. Disk brakes have moved from being a bit crap to pretty much standard (and a high standard), right across the board. Gearing devices are massively lighter and better than ten years ago. A modern bike with deore on now is up there with XTR from ten years ago, easy.

marc
    Free Member

Hang on, we’re talking 10 years not 15.

15 years ago elastomer forks with 2″ travel were cutting edge, rear sus didn’t work and no one ran discs.

10 years ago you could get a working full suss bikes with disc brakes weighing 24lbs which climbed pretty well and had 4″ travel at each end.

Since then increased travel, but with retained stiffness seems to have been the biggest advance.

chriswilk
    Free Member

technology hasn’t peaked.
    The rate of change of development has certainy slowed.

For technology to have peaked, everything new out would have to be worse than the previous incarnation…

The main advance from 10 years ago is that super lightweight parts now DON’T break on the first ride.

Hairychested
    Free Member

The orange Z1’s were more reliable given no maintenance than Fox forks of today.
    Specialized FSR bikes rode well and still do.
    Hope Minis worked fine, they still do.
    Singlespeed steel bikes rode the same as today generally.

MentalMickey
    Free Member

I remember when you could ride a bike for nigh on ten years plus without ever servicing any parts, I never oiled the chains even once, greased any bearing or cables, never even changed any brake pads…….yet now…

Is this progress one has to ask?

Garry_Lager

There have been no breakthroughs in the past 10 years at the level of disk brakes or suspension, it’s rather that these innovations have been refined and made to work well and reliably.

In 2000 it was probably possible to buy a FS design that flat out sucked. I don’t mean a Halfords special, but something from a reputable firm that just wasn’t designed very well. You don’t see this now AFAICT. Everyone seems to have worked out the basics of rear suspension (by trial and error) such that they all perform at least adequately.

I had a set of coda disk brakes in 2000 that could have been the subject of a class action lawsuit – dangerously unreliable. Nowadays you can get good disks even on a 3 – 400 quid bike.

jamesb
    Free Member

+1 agree with TJ; suspension has become much more sophisticated= more bits to go wrong and very difficult to service?, (remeember RS Judy forks with elastomers?) and lighter but componenets have become less durable, and much less home serviceable (eg wheels with normal spokes, ball bearing cups etc).

Gear shifters too have made huge leaps fwd, from thumb shifters and down tube shifters to teh rapidfires etc (btw IMHO a huge step fwd with XTR shifters now with multi chage and dual action).

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Bikes might have progressed but how come I’m slower?

Xylene
    Free Member

Tyre compounds, but that is more likely down to the motoring industry pushing that forward.

The use of ceramics didn’t seem to last long either, where are the carbon ceramic discs?

Sam

deore on now is up there with XTR from ten years ago, easy.

Tell me you’re not serious Jon? This

is as good as (better!?!) than this?

clubber
    Free Member

That’s more than 10 years old, Sam – more like 15.

10 year old XTR is m950 (released 1996 IIRC). Other than the lack of discs, it was better than current Deore – certainly in terms of durability – I’m still using my M950 rear mech – and I’m pretty sure in terms of weight too.

Biggest improvements? better geometry for all round riding (5″ hardtails for a start) and for the XC racer types, lighter but still reasonably durable products. Also, low end stuff nowadays is MUCH better than it was 10 years ago – particularly suspension, brakes and transmission.

kudos100
    Free Member

Depends on what you count as difference, and what type of bike. I think there have been big changes in all mountain/trail bikes, but ones with more specific uses are much the same.
    I’ve got a 2001 santa cruz superlight, 9 years on, the latest frame is a bit stiffer, and you can get stiffer forks, cranks and a slightly slicker gear change, but apart from that, the same bike with 10 years newer technology will still give pretty much identical performance for its intended task.
    Ditto a SS inbred.

When compared to bikes from 1990 and 2000?

njee20
    Free Member

10 years ago you could get a working full suss bikes with disc brakes weighing 24lbs which climbed pretty well and had 4″ travel at each end

What fits that bill? I had a 2001 S-Works FSR, v-brakes, old SIDs, full XTR etc, pedalled like sh1t and weighed about 26lbs.

clubber
    Free Member

Extralite? Great while they worked (then the shock blew and the frame snapped 🙂 )

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I think the focus is now on performance (in terms of weight, stiffness, damping on suspension etc) rather than durability or easy of servicing.

So in that sense modern bottom brackets or suspension forks are better, but the downside is modern bits don’t seem to last very long.

Old marzocchis for instance were great for servicing at home. You could do everything, even change an individual stanchion or the bushings. V-brakes were rubbish but very easy to maintain (no stuck or damaged pistons that are difficult to remove). 8 speed stuff was a lot more resistant to poor cables, and square taper BB’s whilst flexy, lasted for ages.

This is why i use an98 year old bike with 8 speed shimano sora and square taper BB for commuting, but my mountain bike has all the latest kit.

njee20
    Free Member

Extralite? Great while they worked

No they weren’t! They were awful flexy, bobby things!

marc
    Free Member

njee; Tracers, Santa Cruz, Marins?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Am I really the only person to get as long/longer out of HT2 than square taper?

I think the biggest progression has been in riders expectations. 10 years ago we didn’t have the mountainbike DVD and a big huck was a couple of feet. What would have made you a cover star on MBUK 10-15 years ago is now considdered ‘average’.

Take the Mega, its many times longer than a 90’s DH race, many times more technical, and has many times more participants (DH used to be race 2 or 4-up IIRC?) and is raced on trail bikes, not DH one off with 60tooth chainrings.

juan
    Free Member

Gearing devices are massively lighter and better than ten years ago.

Erm not quite sure about the latter…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘When did mountain bike technology reach its peak?’ is closed to new replies.