Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • What's your mtb trail riding jacket of choice?
  • andy73
    Free Member

Looking at getting a new jacket for typical UK wet/damp weather trail riding. Ideally something waterproof yet warm and lightweight. Quite like the look of the Hope royal shell jacket, anyone got one?

What are you guys using and how do you rate it?

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I use a Madison telegraph jacket. Nice and warm, waterproof. Don’t think its available any more but would deffo buy another Madison Jacket.

br
    Free Member

Depends on the weather for which one of my half dozen jackets I wear, plus also dictates which outer-wear goes in my Camelbak.

wrecker
    Free Member

Very thin, minimal montane thing and layers.
    Layering really is the best idea IMHO.

dknwhy

Berghaus vapour storm and layers.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Usually have my Gore Alp X in my pack. Not much of a choice really as it’s my only jacket for mtb. Does the job when its wet. I like it.

bigperm
    Free Member

Polaris Summit waterproof jacket very good kept me warm and dry in some really foul weather . The hood is a good size and it has side vents which help when climbing.

Painey
    Free Member

Berghaus vapour storm and layers.

Second that! Can still be had for around £100.

mtbel
    Free Member

None. Ever.

wl
    Free Member

Outdoor Research ‘Foray’ made from Paclite Gore-tex. Was only £70 and it’s very light, reasonably breathable and totally waterproof. Ripped it a couple of times over 4 years but it’s easily and properly fixed with Tenacious Tape. Only complaint is the sleeves are a bit on the baggy side for cycling. I’d have another if I could find one that cheap, or another, similar Paclite jacket. Great all year round.

andy73
    Free Member

Cheers, I will look into some of those.

Stoner
    Free Member

never a “warm” jacket, I have a rain shell – touch and completely waterproof, Altura Attack thingy, and then layer up underneath according to the temperature.

Frankly since Im mainly riding SS, I dont get a chance to be cold, so usually either one or two max merino base layers underneath my jacket is all I ever wear in any weather.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

rab shell for rain, gore windstopper for cold, but most of time base layer and long sleeve T (all STW-esque technical of course)

Euro
    Free Member

I’ve only had one and i’ve still got it 8 years on. Berghaus something or other i bought in a sale when i started mtbing. Waterproof but not overly warm. Surprisingly tough for something so flimsy – i’ve had a few major crashes in it and also been stabbed by bits of branches and there’s not a hole in it.

sandwicheater

What ever fits best.

Picked up a Montane that has been brilliant. Great fit, not sold as a riding jacket but good arm/body length, fold-able hood. I really like the jacket.

hora
    Free Member

I started quite a big topic recently.

Ended up with a Montane Direct Ascent and a Atomic (big discounts; 108 & 50).

Look at gaynorsports:

Brrghaus mount Asgard berghaus voltage and montane air. Active goretex and event. All 3layers. All good jackets.

nickc

Use an Endura Windchill for warmth, sometimes with base layers, sometimes not, and a simple dhb 2.5 waterproof thing for when it rains.

hora
    Free Member

Normal use- icebreaker merino layers and softshell.

ampthill

In the winter I often where a Paramo Velez smock

It feels like it shouldn’t work but it does very well for me

climbingkev
    Free Member

Anyone use an OMM Kamleika? I’m really interested in these, probably the smock.

gfrew88
    Free Member

been using my sweet protection jacket for 2 years now can’t fault it, very well made had a few crashes in it and its yet to tear or rip 10/10 from me. definitely worth the money.

shredder
    Free Member

Softshell – Montane Sabretooth
    Shell – Gore Alp X

penguinni

Montane Alpine Stretch and various base layers

dirtydog
    Free Member

Rab (Event) Latok Alpine here, currently on sale at Go outdoors for £120.00

wl
    Free Member

Personally I wouldn’t bother looking for a ‘warm’ outer jacket – you’ll melt half the time in the UK, even in winter. I’d just use an extra base layer if it’s really cold. In 20 years of year-round riding I’ve only twice used a third layer sandwiched between a merino top and the Paclite. Mind you it’s very hilly around here, so it’s not hard to generate heat.

jamesfts
    Free Member

When the weather gets grim I’ve one of these…

Maddison Addict Storm

Absolutely mega value for the money (misses J gets a discount at Maddison making it even better), warm, waterproof and surprisingly breathable. I was dubious about the hood at 1st but even that is great when the weather gets really grim. Nice high collar to keep the rain out and a flap under the zip to keep water/mud out if unzipped. Will be too hot in warmer weather and doesn’t pack down as well as some.

Never though I’d find something to replace my Howies Long way home jacket but have been really impressed with this.

luketracey

Being a lurker I followed Horas thread and got a Montane Direct Ascent too. Worked very nicley first time out at the weekend.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

+1 Montane thin thing or as I call it featherlite velo for 80% of the year and an active shell If it’s pissing down or brassic.
    Going to try the vapour rise thing at some point this year though

hora
    Free Member

Luketracey its almost too nice to use on a bike. Going to take it to the Lakes a lot this year 😀

James you traitor!

gamerriley
    Free Member

Gore Alp X here. Windproof, breathable and lightweight. Great jacket.

matt_outandabout

80% of time, Montane Dyno.
    20% of time, Montane Atomic.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Summer – endura laser gillet
    Winter – Race Face Atlas AM, usually just a LS wooly base layer under it.

jimmy

Hora -what do you think of the Direct Ascent? I bought one because I have an older model, love it and it was on at half price for new. But it felt bulky, certainly not a biking jacket. I seny it back but reluctantly, just didn’t need it.

I have ordered the Polaris (Cobalt? Graphite?) from sportspursuit. That looks promising.

hora
    Free Member

Ah yes the Dyno. Why did they discontinue it? Lovely and roomy.

The Ascent- I’ve got a long body so it works (as it has a long trunk). It also has pull Tighteners hidden inside the front pockets to draw in the trunk somewhat reducing the typical montane over-belling(?) Fabric midrift.

vondally
    Free Member

OMM here, breathable and stretchy wicks well BUT I tend not to wear it off road that much not sure how the fabric would handle a fall……use it for running as well.

Northwind

Altura Attack for me- it’s definitely a Bad Weather Jacket though, very rarely of use in summer. But it’s waterproof, breathable, very durable, feels solid and comfortable, just hot. (it does have epic vents like shark’s gills though). I wouldn’t pay the RRP for it, then I wouldn’t pay that much for any jacket- but there were good sales on a while back

I actually preferred the old design Altura Attack Extreme a little, it’s the same thing only more so. Destroyed mine eventually but it took years of crashes.

In summer, I do gillets, keep the body dry and let the arms be radiators.

yunki
    Free Member

Montane featherlite with layers underneath unless it’s really cold or pissing down in which case I use an old nike ACG Gore-tex paclite with pit zips..

I own an Endura PTFE but haven’t found any situation that it’s particularly comfortable or useful for

(EDIT: all purchased at ridiculous knock down prices)

winston
    Free Member

Waterproof: Scott Helium AS
    Windproof: Scott Helium Windstopper

Fantastic combination as they are both the same shape so fit well toghether or separately

Both from Start Cycles at silly prices

Also have a 15 year old Montane pertex/pile jacket for when its below zero

smatkins1
    Free Member

I’ve got a bin bag that says Alpinestars on it. It packs up small and is completely waterproof*. The lack of breathability works in its favour when its cold. Its kept me dry and warm for two years now.

After picking up a few rips and seeing friends rip there posh jackets beyond repair I’m reluctant to spend much on a jacket.

*after ripping it its not 100% waterproof anymore.

ben98
    Free Member

Buffalo active lite, had it for 2 years, still in very good nick, not waterproof, but in the uk, its far more use than a “proper” waterproof imo.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘What's your mtb trail riding jacket of choice?’ is closed to new replies.