Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What's the lowest stack height headset in 'standard' 1/18?
  • andy9678
    Free Member

I need a headset with a total stack of around 27mm any ideas guys needs to be 34.1mm Help

RustyMac

To the best of my knowledge this id the lowest stack traditional 1 1/8 headset. Claimed 21mm.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24980

reggiegasket
    Free Member

The CB ones are the lowest I’ve seen, although they have a bad rep in terms of being any good.

The Loaded Precision ones are also pretty low but not cheap.

richmtb

To the best of my knowledge this id the lowest stack traditional 1 1/8 headset. Claimed 21mm.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24980

Just make sure you buy two of them as they are really badly sealed and the bearings will fall apart. Very neat design though and will solve your low stack height problem

druidh
    Free Member

I’m running a Cobalt XC on my wee Ti hardtail and it has been perfect for the last two years.

You do have to take a wee bit of care on insertion as the metal is quite brittle and they’ve been known to shatter. A proper headset press is what you want, though I managed with the long, threaded bolt and big washer approach.

andy9678
    Free Member

am i been a bit fussy if i take a cane creek 28MM the wheels aint gonna fall of are they

bigyinn
    Free Member

Perhaps not, but a siezed headset isn’t exactly useful.

andy9678
    Free Member

what about cane

andy9678
    Free Member

lets do a bit of maths my tube is 134mm and stem is 40mm and my stearer length is 202mm

richmtb

So that 174mm between stem and steerer, leaving 28mm plus 3mm for compression of the headset. So you need a stack height of 31mm.

That should cover quite a lot of headsets

Sam

well that would suggest 28mm, but seeing as you need a bit of a gap between the top of the steerer and the stem to allow you to preload the bearings then anything with a stack height of around 33mm or less should be fine.

andy9678
    Free Member

thanks guys bloody pressure normal

Sam

Thanks for the heads up on the bargaintastic CB headsets – picked up a few of em and they get here this morning 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of the 21mm Crank Bros headsets when they were at silly cheap prices (with a 5 year warranty supposedly).

Both are still working fine after 1-2 years though both have surface rust on the outside – nothing that affects function but doesn’t look great and not what you’d be happy with for the RRP. But they’re very low, mine work well and they’re available cheaply. I’d get another one if I needed one.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What's the lowest stack height headset in 'standard' 1/18?’ is closed to new replies.