Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • What's the fastest anyone's ever cycled down Garrowby Hill?
  • Deveron53
    Free Member

I see on Strava that the segment KOM is 51.4 mph.

I cycled down it in 1992 on my Cannondale rigid mountain bike with 52t front ring and Specialized Turbo S tyres pumped to 90psi. There was a following wind as I started the descent and I was already spinning out on an 11t rear cog* within 20 metres and just tucked and plummetted! It was about 6am on an April morning (Saturday) so no cars about. I didn’t brake at all on the main curves as I was scared my cantis would get hooked under my rims (MA40 MB). I used the whole road to straighten the bends out. I HAD to brake as I approached the AA box as the corner was coming up frighteningly fast and I was STILL spun out!

Thing is, my magnetic speed computer told me 58mph* (I recorded it in my diary!) and that is the speed I have been boasting about all these years!

So, how fast DID I go?

Someone will be along to tell me what speed that gear combo is capable of attaining at maximum leg spinout.

*Addendum:
    Did Shimano produce an 11t Hyperglide top cog in 1992? Might have been 12t although the fact that I had a 52t chainring will tell you how crazy I was about getting massive gears! I had an 11t as soon as it was available.
    Yes, I was VERY careful to set my tyre circumference accurately.

bearnecessities

Slightly OT, but me and an old mate cycled down the hill in Dartmouth going past naval college.

52 tooth again; Cannondale M500 with lots of purple.

We both got 52mph readout and overtook a coach!

tomhoward

bearnecessities

It bloody was at 16 I’ll have you know! #Shelteredlife

martymac

try this, if you know the gradient of the hill, (its often on a road sign on steep hills) this will tell you what should be possible.
    i compared it to the reading off my magnetic cateye from c1996, and after inputting data about tailwind (considerable, in my case) it was close.
    http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm

Deveron53
    Free Member

Veloviewer puts the steepest section at 19.4%

I dunno if I’m doing it right but I got 62.2mph…

EDIT: that gear combo at 120rpm gives 44 mph. Spin out at 140+ ? Hmmm…

njee20
    Free Member

The 51.4mph being an average, it seems pretty plausible you did a maximum of 58mph, but that doesn’t mean you’re 15% faster than the KOM.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘What's the fastest anyone's ever cycled down Garrowby Hill?’ is closed to new replies.