Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • What's the best ultra-lightweight waterproof jacket?
  • BadlyWiredDog

So what’s out there that’s really good? Don’t mind paying a bit as it will hopefully last a good few years. Needs to be very lightweight (I have other heavier duty stuff for winter etc), and very breathable.

First, nothing that’s genuinely ‘ultra-lightweight’ is also going to be very durable, but I don’t think you strictly mean ‘ultra-lightweight’ – sub-100g is the benchmark pretty much for that – just ‘lightweight. so under 350g or so?

There are a couple of lightweight 3-layer jackets out there that work decently – Alpkit Gravitas and Rab Flashpoint – and are around 200g or so, which is ‘light enough’. The new Gore PBS kit is light and very breathable, but not recommended for use with a pack.

If you want something as an emergency waterproof, have a look at the Berghaus Hyper Smock 2.0 or whatever it’s called now. Genuinely sub-90g, packs tiny and is taped and waterproof though not particularly breathable or durable. Great as a ‘just in case’ option you won’t know you’re carrying or to comply with fell or adventure race regs that call for a taped waterproof jacket.

If you can wait, there’s a sub-100g three-layer jacket due out from Berghaus in early 2017. Very minimal, close fit, but super breathable and only has one small pocket. Ultra-light stuff tends not to have many pockets, that’s how it’s ultra-light… the easiest way to save weight is to leave stuff off like pockets, adjusters, excess fabric etc.

The new Montane Spine Jacket is a nice, lightweight Gore-Tex Active shell and out now, but again has only one pocket as it’s intended as a mountain running jacket not an all-rounder.

Or just buy Arc’teryx. It’s really nice kit if you can get past the relatively high price – check Sport Pursuit btw, they often have half-price deals on it.

My generalised experience of bike-specific waterproofs is that they’re still pretty lacking in terms of fabric technology and construction apart form the 7Mesh and Gore Bike Wear stuff, but the bike market is focussed on lower prices, so it’s a bit of a chicken and egg thing…

tallie
    Free Member

Possibly slightly off topic but are there many cycling specific jackets using Polartech Neoshell? I haven’t come across any apart from the ruinously expensive jacket linked above.

I’ve a ski jacket / soft shell made of this material and it’s the most breathable bit of kit I own. I run really hot so very rarely wear any form of shell when on the bike unless temperatures are in the low single digits and there’s significant windchill.

I am tempted by the Chimera of a breathable , hardwearing, waterproof mtb soft / hard shell; I suspect something made out of Neoshell with clever vents (like the one Chips reviewed – although I don’t think Gore Pro shell is as breathable?) would be the best technology can manage at the moment.

aikon
    Free Member

New Endura MTR jacket landed in the shops this week, looks like a better fabric & has a removable hood, got mine from my LBS this morning.

BadlyWiredDog

Possibly slightly off topic but are there many cycling specific jackets using Polartech Neoshell? I haven’t come across any apart from the ruinously expensive jacket linked above.

There are some guys down south who made their own, sorry if it is the one linked above btw. These guys:

http://upperdowns.com

Great fabric, no idea how well the jacket is cut and designed, NeoShell is expensive full stop, these now £189 reduced from £269.

nickc

Tallie, the mission workshop/acre one that I linked to uses neoshell, and it’s the reason the jacket is so expensive. Was recently at Antur when it tipped it down solidly for 4 hours and i was both bone dry and un-clammy at the end of the day, remarkable bit of kit

doordonot
    Free Member

My offer is the Gore Active shell. Bought it for running but have also used it for roadie and mtb in some truly biblical rainstorms and remained dry in the core. Having not had gore-tex before, I was impressed with how breathable compared to all the other so-called breathable jackets I’ve had. Sleeve cuffs are zips where-as the latest one below is crimped. This isn’t necessarily ideal for cycling alone, but to have it as a do-all jacket, I’m happy to deal with a bit of damp around the wrists. It wraps up small enough to stuff in a cycling top back pocket. Nice looking jacket too.

[/url]

orangeboy
    Free Member

For pack size montane pertex shield are great but as with any ultra light stuff limited life span

Ive been Useing a madison flux on the mtb for a while and for the money it’s great , just a shame I can’t fold the hood away.

Road bike ive got a Spesh gore active jacket which is a lot less sweaty than anything ive used on a bike but far to much money for me to use on a mtb

clodhopper
    Free Member

That Upperdowns jacket looks great; pity there’s nowhere to buy it from. 🙁

“First, nothing that’s genuinely ‘ultra-lightweight’ is also going to be very durable, but I don’t think you strictly mean ‘ultra-lightweight’ – sub-100g is the benchmark pretty much for that – just ‘lightweight. so under 350g or so?”

I’d say you’re probably spot-on really. By ‘ultra light’, I meant not a big heavy coat. My wife’s little waterproof is extremely light, but possibly not so durable. Very breathable though. Always going to be a compromise. Hers has recently come through a trip in the Pyrenees, where it did a brilliant job of keeping her dry when it did rain, but also as a wind cheating extra layer. But I might need something a teeny bit more robust.

Gore ‘Active’ looks like it’s the evolution of Paclite, in terms of lightweightness. What’s it like for durability?

What is Neoshell?

dragon
    Free Member

Montane Pertex is my go to as well, not remotely waterproof but it doesn’t matter as it keeps the wind off you so you stay plenty warm enough. Works even better with a merino wool baselayer, you can get soaked and stay warm.

Unless you are somewhere fairly extreme where staying dry is a major priority, then expensive waterpoof jackets are a waste of money IME. And even then I’d rather not rely on the ultra-lightweight ones, but get something a bit heavier for better reliability and durability.

clodhopper
    Free Member

“not remotely waterproof”

So absolutely useless for me then. Thanks anyway. 🙄

dirtydog
    Free Member

What is Neoshell?

A fabric made by Polartec

http://polartec.com/product/polartec-neoshell

epicyclo

dragon – Member
    Montane Pertex is my go to as well, not remotely waterproof but it doesn’t matter as it keeps the wind off you so you stay plenty warm enough. Works even better with a merino wool baselayer, you can get soaked and stay warm…

For people who do not sweat riding their bike, this is not good advice. For everyone else it is.

I don’t know anyone who doesn’t sweat riding their bike… 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘What's the best ultra-lightweight waterproof jacket?’ is closed to new replies.