• This topic has 61 replies, 49 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • What's the best film you saw recently? And why?
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Me?

Whiplash.

Why? I hadn’t much of an idea what it was about, all I knew was it was about a drummer.

Mrs MR wanted to see it so I went along for the ride. It was just solid, engaging, old-school film-making. And not an alien, CGI explosion or superhero in sight. Highly recommended if you like music and/or ‘Rocky’ type melodramas.

Edit: (Removed ‘spoiler’-type trailer)

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

La La Land was OK too 😉

Markie
    Free Member

Mrs M and I really enjoyed Sully…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjKEXxO2KNE[/video]

TheFlyingOx

Sat down not too long ago and watched Beasts Of No Nation on that there Netflix. It’s very good indeed.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xb9Ty-1frw[/video]

Bregante

Guardians of the Galaxy II

Because it was a treat for my son on his birthday. And it was frickin awesome.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

La La Land was OK too

I wanted to strangle the trailer! And that ‘You say tomato’ tribglibrute tap-dance scene I just watched on Youtube. Fred and Ginger must be laughing in their graves…

pondo

My brother said I had to watch A Million Ways To Die In The West, gave it a try expecting to turn it off after five minutes and am really enjoying it so far (about an hour in) – it’s a bit Seth McFarlaney, crude and unsophisticated humour, but that’s about my level, made me proper laugh out loud. 🙂

sanername

I’m a little biased, as the last film I saw was my own, but we had the premiere on Friday, and people bloody loved it

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXXSH5SU72s[/video]

HippoTheMovie.com

So I guess the why for me, is that after seven years work, I’m fiercely proud of it. But the why for your average watcher? It’s damned funny.

Arse, can’t get the link to the trailer to work.

bikebouy
    Free Member

The still utterly brilliant..

And another utterly brilliant..

riklegge

Hunt for the wildepeople, it’s funny and good natured.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Get Out was rad. Was talking about it for days afterwards

WillH

Rewatched Guardians of the Galaxy and Deadpool recently. Both excellent, can’t wait for the sequels.
    New films… Hidden Figures was very good.

jonnyboi

Heartbreak ridge, thought it was excellent

Rich_s

Quite liked Margin Call – on the other night after the snooker and still on iplayer. One dodgy accent but generally pretty good for a slowy.

Drac

Guardians of the Galaxy II

Because it was a treat for my son daughter on his her birthday. And it was frickin awesome.

rOcKeTdOg

Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind.
    Carey at his best in a straight role & and Dunst in panties. It even has Frodo in it.

funkmasterp

Hunt for the wildepeople, it’s funny and good natured.

A second vote for Wilderpeople. A funny, poignant, well shot feel good film. The best I’ve seen in a while.

vinnyeh

Hell or High Water. Top acting from Jeff Bridges, a good script that wasn’t too obvious and some lovely filming.

rone

This year has been great.

T2
    Logan
    Hacksaw Ridge
    Hidden Figures
    Lion
    Silence
    Skull Island

Netflix and others

Crash 2004 research still great
    Siege of Jadotville
    Sandcastle
    The Gift
    Neon Demon
    I, Daniel Blake

Billions and Better Call Saul whilst not films are up there with anything at the cinema.

So much good stuff around.

DezB
    Free Member

One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest.
    At the cinema, last weekend! Cos it’s up there in the top 5 best films ever made.

zanelad
    Free Member

Sausage Party. Made both me and Mrs Z laugh out loud several times. That seldom happens with films these days.

geetee1972
    Free Member

American Honey.

It is utterly, utterly brilliant. Think ‘Kids’ meets ‘Easy Rider’.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I, Daniel Blake
    Bleed for This
    Loving
    Moonlight
    The Hunt
    Train to Busan
    Captain Fantastic

Oddly I thought Hacksaw Ridge was almost funny it was that bad.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

DezB
    One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest.
    At the cinema, last weekend! Cos it’s up there in the top 5 best films ever made.

Wow, what an eloquent and persuasive argument.

jonnytheleyther

Oddly I thought Hacksaw Ridge was almost funny it was that bad.

There are clips of it doing the rounds for (completely unintended) comedy.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Have seen both Hacksaw Ridge and Deadpool. Funny, the overriding impressions I got were both crassly self(ie)-conscious films, but each in a very different way from the other. One was so shallowly ‘wink-me-stupid’ up itself that I couldn’t find an honest laugh in there anywhere. The other was just unintentionally hilarious. I’ll leave anyone to guess which was which! mileages vary etc.

Hunt For the Wilderpeople was exceptional, OTOH. Really good. Except for the fainting bit. They really need to edit the (unintentionally?) cheesy fainting bit out.

I feel old in that can’t stomach much movie-cheese. Even (especially?) if it’s wink-cheese, and repeatedly winks at itself and the viewer. Decades of it, and it’s not slowing down! The ‘3rd wall’ seems always to be blinking and vanishing now.

Saying that, I second ‘Get Out’ as an enjoyable romp. Had the feeling of down-to-earth 1970s Stepford Wives-type classic horror movie. Lead-character’s facial expressions were hilarious throughout, I thought. The house-maid was brilliant too.

rone

American Honey.

It is utterly, utterly brilliant. Think ‘Kids’ meets ‘Easy Rider’.

Mixed feelings about that one.One sympathetic character and lots of hateful foul-mouth ones, with stunning cinematography – really splits the vote for me.

Quite enjoyed the journey, but I had to question what I was enjoying. But yes, memorable.

Glad you flagged that one though.

chakaping
    Free Member

Drive.

Lovingly made pastiche that ends up feeling really fresh. Stunning cinematography, nice lean script, great performances and a perfect soundtrack.

I can finally see why R-Gos gets so much love.

DezB
    Free Member

Wow, what a pointless and pathetic response. And the one thing you came on the thread to say. You’re amazing.

Other eloquent and persuasive arguments on the thread you dominate with your brilliance

it was frickin awesome.
    was OK
    It’s damned funny
    .So much good stuff

No comments on those?

I take you’ve not seen Cuckoo’s Nest? 🙄

muddyfunster
    Free Member

DezB – Member

Wow, what a pointless and pathetic response. And the one thing you came on the thread to say. You’re amazing.

Other eloquent and persuasive arguments on the thread you dominate with your brilliance

it was frickin awesome.
    was OK
    It’s damned funny
    .So much good stuff

No comments on those?

I take you’ve not seen Cuckoo’s Nest?

Of course I’ve seen the film. Other people’s comments “awesome”, “damned funny” etc are at least providing some reason why they themselves thought the film was worthy of mention. You on the other hand validated your choice by a ranking, unless you yourself are the arbiter of the list of best films of all time?

A non answer which doesn’t even covey one shred of your own opinion. But at least you told us that you saw it at the cinema, which I assume was nice.

funkmasterp

To be fair One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest is a brilliant film. No need to be “the arbiter of the list of best films of all time” to know this to be the case.

arrpee
    Free Member

Nocturnal Animals.

To avoid being sneered at by Muddyfunster, my reasons are:

-It features one of the most vicerally tense sequences I’ve seen in a very long time.
    -Great performances, especially Aaron Taylor Johnon and Michael Shannon.
    -Looks fantastic.
    -Still thinking about the denouement, and can’t decide if I liked it two weeks later.

DezB
    Free Member

To be fair, muddyfunster’s contribution to this thread is moronic and best ignored.

I saw Guardians of the Galaxy 2 the day after Cuckoo’s Nest and it was also a film.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Resident Evil : Final Chapter.
    Because it ties everything together. And Milla kicks ass.

bakey

Fast and Furious 8

Because it’s as daft as cake and I took my youngest son (14). Suspend judgement and it’s fab!

redstripe
    Free Member

A few years old but That French film ‘Untouchable’ was great, very funny
    [video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S7chTzRxxrg[/video]

monde
    Free Member

Captain Fantastic

Great score and brilliant acting. Touched a nerve with me that made it even more enjoyable.

butcher

+1 for Hell on High Water. Exceeded my expectations. Easy watch, and Jeff bridges is fantastic.

grey

The Equalizer.
    I loved the TV series and put off seeing the movie.
    I actually really enjoyed it, so much so I’m watching it again just now 8)

lovebadger
    Free Member

‘Kenny'(2006), ‘The Castle'(1997), ‘what we do in the shadows'(2015), The Grand Budapest Hotel'(2014) …these are all cracking films and all very humorous. I must admit I didn’t like ‘I, Daniel Blake’, it was just too corny for my liking and ‘American Beauty’ wasn’t for me either, maybe I’m just a bit too old to enjoy it??

choppersquad
    Free Member

Sorry to bring the tone down but I watched ‘Grimsby’ the other night and was crying with laughter in places.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘What's the best film you saw recently? And why?’ is closed to new replies.