• This topic has 40 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Mac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • What's that creak? oh. Bugger.
  • nedrapier

I don’t think it’s just the paint. Any of the paints.

What do we think? Weld a gusset over the top?

jam-bo

Sticker?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Another zip tie and cork will sort that.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

squirt of gt85 – creak fixed

m0rk
    Free Member

Turn the bike the right way up and you can’t see it.

It’ll be fine, just try not to huck to flat too much

m0rk
    Free Member

Serious thoughts though… it’s probably rotten through, so if it’s gone there, it’ll go elsewhere if the patching thought was serious

Time for ebay trawling for a new frame for your winter hack

nedrapier

Rorschach – those are an elegant engineering solution to lack of mudgurd mounts, thankyouverymuch.

funkmasterp

Another layer of paint?

nedrapier

m0rk – I think you’re right. 25 years spent doing I don’t know what before I got it.

If anyone comes across a 17-19″ mtb frame with forward facing dropouts and a 1″ headtube, let me know!

cp

Nedrapier…. Email me, cannondale sm600 any use?

bigblackshed

If anyone comes across a 17-19″ mtb frame with forward facing dropouts and a 1″ headtube, let me know!

You’re pushing the standards with that.

Just ride it. What’s the worse that could happen?

nedrapier

What’s the worse that could happen?

It could snap, while I’m going full thrutch for a gap in traffic, I’ll be killed, as will a number of others in the resultant pile up. And just when I was on the cusp of finalising my flawless plan for resolving human suffering.

nedrapier

Cheers, cp. I’ll drop you a line. I was hoping for steel, because it lasts forever.

nosedive
    Free Member

Are you anywhere near sheffield? I have a 19inch orange p7 frame you can have. Its 1 1/8 but ive got a rockshox 100mm fork thats in the way as well. Yours for a couple of ales. The frame has a seatpost stuck in it but someone who uses corks as structural elements on bikes can surely sort that out

kayla1
    Free Member

1996 GT Bravado rigid, complete but SS, for £50 any use to you?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Nose dive, if ned doesn’t and you do seriously want rid, I’d bite your hand off, always regretted getting rid of my p7.

nosedive
    Free Member

Alright, lets see if ned wants it, if not i will drop you a mail

globalti
    Free Member

As a matter of interest, did a ding from a big rock create the stress riser that started that crack?

bedmaker

Can’t understand why a titanium frame should have so many coats of paint on it…

kcal

jeez! jubilee clip?

I was on my very old Stumpjumper and got hit from the side ages ago, couple of dents but thought nothing more. Eventually dents rusted underneath and I too had the “what’s that creak” “oh” dialogue with myself..

andywoods
    Free Member

can’t believe nobody suggested silver duct tape…. my first thought

nedrapier

I’m down south, Surrey way, so Sheffield for the P7 and South Yorkshire for the cannondale might be a bit far. I am up in Darley Dale/ Matlock next week, though.

And this is a pub/station/leaving locked up round town bike, so a P7 sounds like it might be a bit nice for that. This frame was a 1991 Bonty OR, so also a bit too nice, but hiding under a few coats of household emulsion.

dangourbrain sounds keen, good luck with the seat post!

oldnpastit

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOz1jZUhIDE[/video]

mick_r

Torsional fatigue failures usually crack on a helix / spiral, so I suppose feasible for a down tube just in front of the bb shell….

If you were further north I’d help you put a new down tube in it (you’d have to do your own emulsion).

teasel
    Free Member

I have a Raleigh Randonneur frame you can have. I’m a southern, too, so not much travelling to do if you want it.

If you don’t want it I welcome anyone else to give it a new home.

Unsure of size but I’ll check later when I go for mini walkabout…

teasel
    Free Member

Can’t find the size written on the frame but it looks like a large. Complete with forks, stem and bars.

Free to anyone who’s interested but obviously Ned gets first refusal.

cchris2lou

I have a large Raleigh Technium you can have. Or anyone else.
    Jct3 on m25.

vongassit
    Free Member
    nosedive
    Free Member

I love that this has turned into a ‘give away a pub bike thread’

shermer75
    Free Member

Can’t see why that fibre fix wouldn’t work 🙂

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

If thats a steel frame it would be easy enough to plate over it with a tig welder

bigrich

if it’s cracked there, it’ll be fatigued all over the place. other cracks are coming.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Felt the need to flip my bike over to check for a crack before a quick ride earlier, after hearing creaks recently and reading this thread, thankfully my old Pylon8 is still my only ever bike frame to knowingly develop a worrying shear!

tobymc

I’ll keep a watchful eye on the skips of East London for something less vertically compliant…..

nedrapier

Hey Toby! (this is the chap who gave me the bike in the first place.) Sorry I broke it, Toby!

This was a free bike, but I’ve ended up spending a bit on it – grips, bars, stem, seatpost, saddle, hex skewers, cables and outers, chainring, BB If I started again with something else, there’d be more gaps to fill in, and more stuff left over. I forgot to add the 26.8 seatpost to the list of “standards” above.

I’m tempted to try and get a plate welded on and see what happens. I half/mostly expect it to develop more cracks, I’ll keep eyes and ears open for cracks and creaks. I think it’s probably rusted through, I doubt it would have needed much to start something off.

Thanks so much for the offers, especially the randonneur – that’s a bit of a classic, from what I’ve read. Thanks teasel, could you drop me an email, please? no email in your profile, but mine’s in mine.

nedrapier

nosedive – Member
    I love that this has turned into a ‘give away a pub bike thread’

Me too! 😀 STW wins again!

You’re all marvelous.

teasel
    Free Member

Found it!

YGM, fella.

nedrapier

Cheers Teasel, just dug it out of spam. replied.

jambalaya
    Free Member

🙂

nedrapier

Cos it’s got (had) guards and a rack and I could leave it locked up without worrying, I kept riding it. So I stripped it down to remove the temptation.

The bodge was strong with this one. cable guides, mudguard mounting miscellany from hedges & booze and seatpost shim from a tango can (steel is real!).

Definitely broken though. crack started top centre near the BB shell, did nearly a full spiral of the tube. I pushed this in with my finger:

Off to look at some old touring wheels this evening (105/Module 4) for Teasel’s very kindly donated Randonneur! Cheers Teasel!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘What's that creak? oh. Bugger.’ is closed to new replies.