Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Whats Privateer magazine like?
  • bratty

Browsing their blog it seems quite wordy, but is it any good?

oldfart

Well IMHO it’s way overpriced . I managed to get a trial at 3 quid a time . I certainly wouldn’t pay 9 for it ! Did a rough count .146 pages , when you take out the double page pics and the ads it boils down to 50 pages of reading material and then it’s not full pages .

c_klein87

been lots of threads on Privateer…..I really like it, some may find it wordy but the awesome pictures and lack of orange five’s reviews make it for me

ton

like a mtb mag trying not to be a mtb mag.

there is only so much you can write about bikes.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Everyone is different, I took it it out for a 3 issuse deal but un subscribed, there seemed to be lots of interviews, great photos and very few adverts. I don’t think it’s worth £9 though

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple, its nice to pick one up every now and again.

Certainly won’t subscribe.

mattjevans
    Free Member

I bought a few of them, I generally like poncy magazines but this one was a bit much even for me. Worse than Rouleur

souldrummer
    Free Member

I never find enough that I want to read in it (although latest issue is better) so will soon be cancelling my subs as I can’t afford to be buying somethiing that just gathers dust.

bratty

Yeah 9 quid for a mag is too much for me. It is up there with 3 quid cups of coffee in the overpriced stakes. (But I have never read it, so maybe it is worth it, who knows?)

RustySpanner

I was very sceptical for ages – overpriced, self importand toss-fodder for those with too much money.

Then someone on the magazine saw what I’d written & sent me a free copy 😀

I have to say, I’m pretty impressed;
    Well written, well judged articles. Nicely presented, lovely photography.
    I’ve been reading cycling mags for thirty odd years and as Ton says, there’s only so much you can write about bikes, so some of it felt familiar – but it’s very intelligently written by people who obviously care and know their subject.

Is it overpriced?
    Yes, but I’d rather have one copy of Privateer than three copies of MBR.

vondally
    Free Member

IMHO, overpriced MBUK writers and articles including rehashs and old mates interviews.

One good article in the 3 i got …..on Nepal

I did not like it if you were in doubt,

titusrider
    Free Member

I’m a fan, and of rouleur

Grown out of endless reviews of kit I don’t need and reviews of trail centres

mattjevans
    Free Member

Grown out of endless reviews of kit I don’t need and reviews of trail centres

+1 but I have grown to prefer the mad ramblings of most of the articles in Dirt, where half the “reviews” are incomprehensible and while they don’t now seem to hate 29ers, at least they don’t suggest that my failure to buy one makes me a terrible person

Northwind

I quite like it. Quite sandall-ey though, the amount of time they spent talking about Gary Fisher’s electric light shows was hilarious. “So, Gary Fisher, one of the inventors of the sport as we know it- don’t talk about bikes”

Mind you I’ve got a few issues sitting unopened still and don’t seem to be in any hurry to get into them. Small doses.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Whats Privateer magazine like?

Not as good as The Ride Journal..

sefton
    Free Member

very good imo. the last issue was the best mtb mag I’ve ever read. worth 9 quid!

wife bought me all the old copies off there site for my birthday (was cheap too)

Speshpaul

if you do the basic british cycling membership (£12 iirc) you can get a copy for free (and rouleur) and 10% off at halfords so your outly should be recoverable.

i like it.
    I have a rule with magazines if i buy them, i have to read them from cover to cover, everything. if i can’t do that i don’t buy them again.

bigdawg
    Free Member

I like it but as has been said £9 is silly money for a magazine – my only wish is that you could buy one off digital versions easily, would make my odd commute to london a lot more bareable.

wwaswas

I smells absolutely lovely.

The pleasure of unwrapping it and giving the pages a riffle is, in itself, worth £9 every few months.

rewski
    Free Member

I subscribe via itunes and read it on my ipad, much cheaper and no dust gathering mags to worry about. The articles do dig deeper into the world of mtb, like a great article on the old London Beastway races, I’ve just downloaded the new issue last night, the front cover has a fish on it????

wwaswas

the front cover has a fish on it????

nod to;

154hopperavenue
    Free Member

I got issues 2-9 for £16! Bargain. And very good. But wouldn’t pay £9 an issue….

hilldodger
    Free Member

Got the first 9 issues on a cut price sub, issues 4 onwards are still unopened, pretentious journofwap at it’s finest……

……should go down a treat round these parts 😆

thepodge
    Free Member

Best mag on the market

It’s the only one I read cover to cover

rewski
    Free Member

Best mag on the market

surely that’s Singletrack?

Trimix
    Free Member

I like it – I too dont need to read about bike reviews and where to ride.

Great articals, pictures and almost no adverts.

I dont find it expensive.

geologist
    Free Member

Not many adverts, obviously a good thing, interesting articles, but sooooo many full page pictures of none interesting images. They seem to manage to get at least 8 full page muddy face shots in every issue, I think I’d rather see adverts.

I get it if I’m going abroad, and need to kill time at an airport or something, would never subscribe.

nigelb001
    Free Member

I like Privateer too, I don’t subscribe but pick it up on a reasonably regular basis. I like the not many ads aspect and the lack of silly biased tests of thermal tights, stems, bottle holders etc. It is a magazine you have to read fully rather than scan through picking out bits so may be a bit more challenging for some, but I usually find plenty to interest me. I dont mind full page photographs as I am a photographer and appreciate good photography.

Saying that, I do find Singletrack is my favourite read with a nice variety of articles which why is also my only MTB mag on subscription.

geologist
    Free Member

I love full page images, if they are interesting, but not just a full page face!

allotropic
    Free Member

I’ve just signed up for a trial using code L001A, which gets you a 3 issue subscription for just £9.

jameso

I really like it – it’s rare to not read an issue entirely over a few train journeys. I enjoy the lack of product focus, I need to get away from that at times ) Agreed, it’s the opposite of websites and MBUK style shorter attention span mags (no bad thing!) that are more for flipping through.

It’s not cheap, but that’s the price of staying in small print runs w/o more ad pages I guess. A fiver more than the other mags – a rubbish sarnie at the services is £3.50 or more. I can spend 3x longer reading it so fair vfm. It’s treading a fine line but does a good job of it. A reader’s digest for riders?

toons
    Free Member

I love it, best Magazine for me.

solar1
    Free Member

I can’t make my mind up. First two issues were really good. Then after that it got a wee bit same-y same-y. Great quality and photography but it’s the subject matter that I’m not fussed about. 18 page article on xc racing somewhere in the world (not interested sorry), then a 20 page advertorial for some componant company. If that were some cool frame builder then yeah, but not a tyre company. It’s like that every issue lately.

This months looks better, not had chance to read it yet, but it’s well timed as I told myself it was the last issue I’d buy.

On the plus side, it no doubt had some influence on the Singletrack revamp which so far has been excellent.

beicmynydd
    Free Member

9 quid, there was a time when I could not afford the stuff in magazines, now I can’t afford the magazine!

Never seen it on sale round this part of the world

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Whats Privateer magazine like?’ is closed to new replies.