Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • What XC bike for trails and racing…..
  • Buttscratcher
    Free Member

Morning,

Well, it’s that time of year again – I’m looking to buy a new bike, currently riding a racey hardtail but looking to get something a bit more comfy for those 12 nd 24 hour races, but it has to be good enough to trail centre spanking.

I’ve got a decent bonus from work this year so…. I can get something a bit decent for a change.

I’ve been looking about and shortlisted:

Giant Anthem X1
    Top Top Fuel 9.8
    Trek EX9 / EX9.8
    Santa Cruz Carbon XC
    Moda Canon
    Lapierre X-Control 710 / 910
    ….

Anyone got any opinions?

Like i said, I’m used to short travel – but did have a Five back in the day and had a Prophet which was awesome for hacking around.

I’ll probabaly be going to South Wales for trail centres, Cwmcarn being closest and then the Afan…. maybe even Brecfha – but mostly local.

My concerns with the Top Fuel are the seattube not being able to drop the saddle that much for techy stuff, the Lapierre as no one seems to have a review except an odd one from Bikeradar…

I’d love to hear what STW people think,

Butts.

rkk01
    Free Member

Everyone will say Anthem…

hughjengin
    Free Member

Why no Specialized Epic listed, In a recent test against an Anthem, top fuel and something else (I forget) they highlighted it as a true race bike in speed but that rode more like a trail bike than any of the others, sounds about perfect for what the OP wants.

flyingfox
    Free Member

Lapierre X-Control is a great option and many places will have 2010 stock left like us.

Janesy
    Free Member

Spesh Epic Evo?

grtdkad
    Free Member

Whyte?

starrman82
    Free Member

Epic evo if you want full sus.. 🙂

rewski
    Free Member

How about Lapierre Zesty 514 or Cube Stereo, upgrade seatpost with a rockshox reverb.

tk46hal
    Free Member

Buy something different! Maybe some American made frame for example and build it around you? You won’t see another one like it! I did it with a Linskey frame and enjoyed choosing all the other parts for it.

Just an option and better than buying off the peg!

currymad
    Free Member

Scandal 29er or Tallboy, depending on budget!

tk46hal
    Free Member

Good choice currymad!
    The first 29ers to be recommended!
    I’ll second it!

mrmo
    Free Member

I have a TopFuel 8, so Alu rather than carbon, but have to say it is a nice fast handling bike.

currymad
    Free Member

rolling rolling rolling :mrgreen:

matchstick
    Free Member

Giant Anthem is worth having, fantastic bike, have a look at Bristol Giant concept store in Bradley Stoke, they are having 10% discount on 2011 models at the moment, you can hire the bike for the day for £40 to try it out before buying.

BTW, I own a Giant Anthem myself, best bike I have ridden to date.

currymad
    Free Member

I assume you mean the Anthem 29er matchstick?!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Have an old alu Blur XC and reckon it makes a great trail and xc bike, would definitely recommend one. Doubt there are many bikes that would get me around Afan quicker and be great for 24hr races too. Mrs Blobby has the Anthem X and she loves it, so light and amazing value. Don’t think you’d go far wrong with any of those bikes.

Buttscratcher
    Free Member

Hmmm… just seen the Merida Ninety-Six Carbon, it looks amazing. Very much like an Anthem, but cheaper (for the carbon version) by £1k….

currymad
    Free Member

Here’s my new mile muncher in the process of being built, odd wheels, funny saddle…no chain
    (doubles up as my downhill bike..) ;

Collected yesterday and will post a few pics of finished build tomorrow for anybody who’s into clown bikes :mrgreen:

stratobiker
    Free Member

I’d choose a Spesh Epic.
    In fact I did. That’s what I have. I think it’s brilliant.

tk46hal
    Free Member

Here is my fast clown bike!

SCANDAL 005 by timoreillyhalifax, on Flickr

bennyboy1
    Free Member

2011 SC Blur xc Carbon with Fox F120 forks.

Great race xc bike but also awesome as a trail bike as the frame is so stiff and with those forks a 68ish degree head angle is quite handy.

Twodogs

I went through this decision recently, and did some test rides. I decided the Anthem was a great bike, but too “nervous” for long races ….if I was looking for a throwabout bike for 2-3 hours playing, I’d have got an Anthem.
    But I wanted something for all day or multiday races, so I got the Fuel EX9…so far, I have no regrets about that choice!

currymad
    Free Member

I know the Scandal is a great light race frame but…never thought you’d need a parachute attached to your seatpost tk46hal :mrgreen:

SigmaF
    Free Member

…Yeti ASR5C…..with a 120mm fork…..job done!

Ax3M4n
    Free Member

I heard the Giant Anthem beats the Epic and Top Fuel in that XC Race category.

NeilH
    Free Member

On a similar quest at the moment. Looking at the EX9 and also the Canyon Nerve XC.

tk46hal
    Free Member

Currymad,

With the speed you get to on these big wheelers, you need the extra stopping speed! My max is 56mph that’s why the 3rd braking system is required!

flyingfox
    Free Member

Forgot to say – I’m riding it. What a tool. Morewood Zula. Love it (took me a few rides to get it but suddenly I’m riding much faster and with a bigger fork, it’s dynamite on the descents).

njee20
    Free Member

I heard the Giant Anthem beats the Epic and Top Fuel in that XC Race category.

On what grounds? It’s not really that clear cut, they’re all popular, no one’s ever been World Champion on an Anthem or a Top Fuel (or even won a world cup), so the Epic has the most pedigree.

I’ve had 3 S-Works Epics, and 2 Top Fuel 9.9s, I personally prefer the Trek, the 2011 one is a step up from the 2010 too, stiffer front end notably. You’re right that it’s not the bike if you want to drop your saddle though, unless you cut the seatpost very short and run it near the max anyway there’s very little adjustment, but it is a race bike, and there’s nothing else I can say against it. It’s great fun as a trail bike too.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘What XC bike for trails and racing…..’ is closed to new replies.