Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • What would you do if you found this bike?
  • cfinnimore
    Free Member

Walking up one of Edinburgh’s busiest streets and came across the above unlocked bike.

I stood next to it for 30 mins ruminating over the possibilities. Cue one shocked and happy owner.

I’m not sure what I would have done…. Couldn’t just leave it there.

What would you have done if the owner never returned promptly?

faz083
    Free Member

Um. It has a lock 😕

I’m confused. Was it stolen? Why would the owner be shocked and/or happy if they had intentionally parked it there? Other than being an easily shocked or generally happy individual?

Northwind

It’s not locked to the rack though. David Cameron rides a Canyon!

I’d have stolen it, personally, only way he’ll learn.

user-removed
    Free Member

Looks like a pretty shitty lock too. That’ll be nicked before long.

Good on ya OP. I once left my Grifter XL unlocked outside a local shop for a few hours. Nipped in to get something, came out, forgot I’d come on my bike and walked home. I was a very happy 10 year old when I found it still there!

soobalias
    Free Member

i wouldnt leave half as much bike with twice as much lock in any town centre for more than seconds.

matther01
    Free Member

Even it was locked…you could strip pretty sharp…especially the dropper. That guy must be nuts!

PiknMix
    Free Member

Let’s hope he doesn’t have a warranty claim

brakes
    Free Member

Good on you OP.
    I had something similar outside Sainsbury’s a couple of years ago.
    it was an ok bike and only the rear wheel was locked – some kids (with bolt croppers down their trousers) came over and tried to nick it, bold as brass. I chased them off and got a load of abuse but they walked away. they were just stood round the corner waiting so I stayed there as long as I could (it was getting dark and I needed to get home) but had to leave eventually.
    I asked the security guard in Sainbury’s to keep an eye on it. He just grunted at me. It probably went as soon as I was out of sight.

p7rich
    Free Member

Can’t believe you waited 1/2hr. You are a saint.

nikk
    Free Member

Leaving that anywhere public in Edinburgh is asking for it to be taken, in minutes.

Even if locked up properly, the seatpost / seat, front wheel, anything removable will be removed and nicked.

Superficial
    Free Member

The mind boggles. Why should I feel like my bikes are unsafe when they’re locked to the garage floor and yet people like that (presumably) don’t get bikes stolen daily?

Neil-F
    Free Member

I was in a wee shopping precinct in Grangemouth once, and watched a guy lock a bike to a bollard, then walk into a shop. I actually went over to the bike to assure myself of what I’d just witnessed. To steal the bike, you would only have to lift it up about 6 inches. 😆

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Lad was at a flat viewing above the shop. He said he was worried about leaving it there… Should’be been.

Five minutes later I passed him going into Evans…. Strangest “second encounter” of my year.

I think if he hadn’t shown up I’d have taken it and sharpied a note. Karma Vandalism & Karma theft m’lud…

Speshpaul

saw a new stumpy 29er lock to a parking sign with a very long cable through the top tube.
    the sign post must have been 6ft tall, and you could have ridden it away….

shermer75
    Free Member

You’re a good man for looking after that bike for him!

jonahtonto
    Free Member

i would’ve locked it up with my lock and charged them £5 to get it free……its the only way they learn 😉

Kunstler

Well done OP. That’s very good of you. I had my (unintentionally) unlocked bike taken from outside Meadowbank gym two weeks ago. I have a sketchy memory of it/me being watched to see if I was going back to it but with less honourable intentions than your good self.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Wonder how i’d have been “legally” if i took it and left a note.

andrewh
    Free Member

Definately the owner who took it from you was it?

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Seemed reasonable when he unlocked the chain andrewh.

nc21

Ye it was the owner- I ve just spoken to him and told him he’s an eejit!
    My boy started job nr Edinburgh last week and needed bike for commute. I suggested an old one from garage but not cool enough. Keep the comments coming- maybe he ll listen to your advice.
    Thanks OP much appreciated.

brakes
    Free Member

haha! that’s hilarious.

Slogo
    Free Member

Needs to get another lock and a cable maybe a big motorcycle lock. Xmas present? Or a new brain? Go through the front wheel triangle and fork. Remove that quick release seat clamp and replace it.

I hope the op got a beer!

6079smithw
    Free Member

Why would anyone use a bike like that to nip around town? 😯
    Christ on a bike.
    (No he definitely wouldn’t).

Tell him to get a hack bike

ali69er
    Free Member

I am most worried about the speed at which those tyres would wear if ridden on the road, my rocket rons are almost slick.

nikk
    Free Member

Ye it was the owner- I ve just spoken to him and told him he’s an eejit!
    My boy started job nr Edinburgh last week and needed bike for commute. I suggested an old one from garage but not cool enough. Keep the comments coming- maybe he ll listen to your advice.
    Thanks OP much appreciated.

Wow, ok, so it’s not his bike, and he is clueless as to the value of time / money?

Seriously, I’m not joking, that bike will not last long in e’burgh unless kept indoors in private at all times it isn’t being ridden.

Don’t tell me he locks it to the banisters at night???

Also, riding that about the streets as a form of transport is daft.

Time for him to buy himself a £100 hack bike.

darkslider
    Free Member

In all honesty, if I came across that and had no idea when the owner would be back I’d probably take it straight to the nearest police station. Possibly return to stick a note on the railing with my phone number if I was feeling really charitable.

weeksy

I’m a Scouser… i’d be at Glentress on it by now.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘What would you do if you found this bike?’ is closed to new replies.