Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What windproof softshell?
  • mikey74
    Free Member

As title, really. I want something I can use most of the year round, with additional layers below during the winter.

nickswolves
    Free Member

Take a look at the Endura Convert softshell, which is windproof and converts to gilet too for when its warmer

matt_outandabout

I find that my Montane Dyno is perfect for higher intensity / 80% of the time. It is not completely windproof or massively waterproof, but is super breathable, not too warm or heavy and cut well.
    My Montane Krypton is properly windproof and semi-waterproof, and warmer. Better for lower intensity stuff or properly cold and damp days (like most of the winter here if it is not heavy rain).

Kryton57

Altura’s Transformer is available at Probikekit for £68 at the moment, and converts to a Gilet/T…

mikey74
    Free Member

Bump!!

Anyone tried the Giordana Silverline Windtex, or the dhb Windslam?

Any others?

Bimbler
    Free Member

Surprised no shouts for Gore Phantom, so, Gore Phantom.

Jamie
    Free Member
    gren
    Free Member

Phantom … love mine BUT if the OP is off them then I can recommend pretty much any Gore softshell. Pricey but you get what you pay for. The missus has a Fusion jacket which is a similar jacket to the fusion (feel slightly thicker and is a slightly looser fit) and loves it. Same windstopper fabric which really does do the job

Bimbler
    Free Member

I think the OP has gone off the Phantom.

Has the OP been in touch with Gore? They replaced (well gave me money for a new one) my 2 tear old Phantom N2S when all the zips started failing.

From Amazon in yella

mikey74
    Free Member

it costs around £37, plus postage, to repair the zip on my Phantom. I was just wondering whether there is anything out there I could get instead.

There are places selling the Phantom for 70 odd quid, but there appears to be a shortage of the large: Wiggle only do the large in black (not ideal for the road) and the large from Amazon is £129, unless I go for hi-viz yellow, which I don’t want (ideally, I’d like the red).

Don’t get me wrong: I am not put off the Phantom, it just doesn’t seem to be available in the configuration I want for a reasonable price.

Endura Windchill, anyone?

Kryton57

I you like red and want to be seen on the road, what about the Altura Night vision windproof – £54 on ribble’s website.

I couldn’t find a Large Phantom in Yellow or less than £100 in stock either, else I’d have bought one.

honourablegeorge

Very pleased with my North Face one, it’s the Dirt Tracks I think. Sleeves comne off too

neninja
    Free Member

Evans have large Phantoms with white body/black arms.

As above I’d suggest contacting Gore. They are very good with warranty issues.

failedengineer

They didn’t want to know when I tried to buy one red arm (ripped one in a fall). They said, “we only sell complete jackets”. Couldn’t be ars*d, more like.

mikey74
    Free Member

White jacket + UK winter = Bad idea.

I’ll have a look at the Altura Night Vision, thanks.

mikey74
    Free Member

As I thought: Gore pointed me in the direction of one of their registered repairers (£37)

hainman
    Free Member

try go-outdoor or tk maxx,i have got 3 softshell’s out of tk maxx and none of them have cost more than 3quid,in fact i was in the other day and they have some nice stuff in at very good prices,some with hoods and some without,what ever you fancy

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve go the windslam roubaix. It is warm but only windproof on the front. Ideal if you never stop but if you are stood around it can get chilly.

I’d suggest something by Montane as all the kit I have of theirs is superb. However, there are some dhb softshell jackets that are fully windproof.

vondally
    Free Member

Marmot tempo……tested on stw by Matt a couple of years ago have a look in reviews. Light breathable warm…… Got mine in to maxx 25pounds
    Have look in tk……often have craft or falke stuff very good.

Or aldi ones bought two last time impressed.

MSP

Thats a coincidence, I just ordered a marmot tempo marmot tempo 1/2 zip last week, still waiting for it to arrive so didn’t want to recommend it till I have actually tried it, but I have been pretty happy with other marmot gear in the past.

walla24
    Free Member

Rab Boreas…..best top i have EVER owned

mikey74
    Free Member

Those are good suggestions, although I’m looking for something a bit more slimline for mainly road cycling.

walla24
    Free Member

Don’t think ul find anything much more slimline than the rab?

carlos
    Free Member

The Endura Convert isn’t what I’d call baggy, mainly use mine on the roadie and as nickswolves posted its great as the sleeves can be removed to make a gillet

Kryton57

In the meantime, my Altura Transformer arrived.

Initially I was a bit disappointed. Its a snug fit, and I thought I needed to return it, but I checked my MTB Gore phantom on to spot the difference. Basically the front of the Transformer is about 5mm “higher” up your belly, and the matierial is a lot thinner which somehow seems to make it more tricky to put on.

As its for road anyway, once I was happy fit was vitually the same as the phantom, I sat on the road bike and the more hunched position negated the shorter front length.

A very light top, not worn it on a ride yet but the current temp will be perfect for my planned Saturday morning ride.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What windproof softshell?’ is closed to new replies.