Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What website/forum for learning about DIY/tools etc…
  • DT78
    Free Member

Have some big projects coming up, pretty much a complete novice at the moment, any recommendations for decent resources?

Everything from plumbing, electrics through to external work and building a kids play area

stumpyjon

Here’s not a bad place to ask.

nickjb
    Free Member

YouTube is pretty good. Some step by step guides as well as other peoples projects to get hints from. Diynot is also pretty good.

km79
    Free Member

I second youtube, everything on there you could possibly need.

paladin

screwfix forum used to be really useful, not looked at it for a long time tho

DT78
    Free Member

YouTube is good when you know the specific job and already decided what you need to do. Also looking for ideas, been looking at houzz which is quite good for design.

First project likely building a utility room, so need to build an internal wall, run new plumbing from stopcock which is in the same room, probably raise the floor to the same level as well, fit units/ fan/lights/sink some cupboards and a work surface.

Want to do these things myself if I can as I want to learn

sadexpunk

diynot forums seem ok, but as mentioned above, this place is the best.

you mention big projects coming up? start a thread on here with update pics and we’ll all be following with interest, chipping in with advice.

nowt so satisfying as doing it yerself.

Also looking for ideas, been looking at houzz which is quite good for design.

thats a good start, i found that the easiest way of starting too. look online for pics similar to what you want, then adapt to your situation.

kilo

Bit old school but when we moved into our house many years ago I bought the readers digest diy manual, covers all sorts of stuff and gave a novice like me a bit of background and I now sumplement this by 1) asking on here 2) paying a builder 🙂

DrP

The DK book “DIY know how with show how” it’s absolutely fantastic…
    Ask for it for xmas, honestly!!

DrP

BigJohn

The Tommy’s Trade Secrets videos on YouTube are usually pretty good.

Mrs BigJohn is now a skilled plasterer through viewing them. I can now silicone a bath without it looking like a snowdrift.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

YouTube, and here.

Singletrack practically build my patio for me 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What website/forum for learning about DIY/tools etc…’ is closed to new replies.