Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • What waterproof shoes for pottering about on a campsite in wet grass?
  • TheFlyingOx

I’m working away at the moment, staying on a campsite/caravan site, and my trusty Converse Chuck Taylor’s (and consequently my feet) are permanently soaked from the grass. Any ideas what might be a suitable waterproof shoe that doesn’t look like it belongs in an orthopaedic catalogue?

I quite like these:

but £80 seems a bit steep just to keep my feet dry ambling between my caravan and the shower block. I’m thinking closer to the £40-50 range. Wellies are no good, because I need to wear whatever I end up with out in public too.

binners

You are aware that Converse are the least waterproof, and thus the coldest, item of footwear its possible to own? Basically: anything other than Converse is your answer.

If its just for ambling around and you don’t want to spend much, then just nip to Sports Direct and get some cheap Karrimors*

*awaits being told that this is a travesty, and you need Gore Tex Scarpa’s, or something handmade, by somebody I’ve never heard of, and that you’re a fool to be spending under £250*

mrjmt
    Free Member

flip flops

perchypanther
    Free Member

Wear a pair of these over your Chucks – problem solved.

TheFlyingOx

Yeah, footwear was never really a concern in my previous job so I just took down what I own. I’d be as well off wearing thick socks as the Converse.

Sports Direct is a good shout. Cheers.

EDIT- as are see-through wellies. Where would the discerning gentlemen find such items?

stumpy01

I bought some cheap Hi-Tec hiking boots about 7 or 8 years ago for camping trips.
    They were only £30 from a camping shop in Buxton, I think.
    They don’t get used that often, but have seen a decent amount of use over the years & are still waterproof & very comfortable.

Places like Sports Direct or Mountain Warehouse often have similar boots/shoes for £30-40.

Like these:

http://www.milletsports.co.uk/more-sports/outdoor/walking-and-hiking/mens/boots/hi-tec-hillside-wp-mens-hiking-boot-brown-orange/?utm_source=googleshopping&s=462897&gclid=CMbtzq-kjcgCFdW7GwodIDoNFA

or:

http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/footwear/walking-shoes/mens/lockton-waterproof-walking-shoe-p1877.aspx?cl=LIME

footflaps

I was going to say flip flops or crocks (sp?)….

perchypanther
    Free Member

see-through wellies. Where would the discerning gentlemen find such items?

At the Welly Warehouse of course…

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

The skin they come in 🙂

razorrazoo

Flip flops, or crocs if you have given up on life 😉

I also have some Sports Direct sourced Karrimor waterproof jobbies which live in my car boot for when it’s too muddy for flip flops.

ElShalimo

Birkenstock clogs, the foam rubber soles things

benp1

What you’re after isn’t exactly a test of quality waterproofing so anything marketed as waterproof and over a tenner will be fine. It’s then more about the look of them, and potentially how breathable you want them to be

johndoh
    Free Member

A pair of wellies? Easy to slip on and off and will deal with everything without your trousers getting wet either.

trail_rat
    Free Member

crocs – i love seeing it wind up those who have given up on life and feel like judging my footwear.

binners

Thats not judgement. Its pity.

scruff
    Free Member
    trail_rat
    Free Member

funny it usually manifests its self with great similarity to jealousy.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Crocs have holes in to let all your self esteem run out..

binners

Hang on a minute….. you seriously think people are jealous of your Crocs?

Do you also keep a collection of used tea-bags in a special locked box underneath your floorboards, as they possess magic powers, and if people knew, then they’d steal those too?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Hang on a minute….. you seriously think people are jealous of your Crocs?

Maybe he’s rockin a set of these bad boys…..They is well bling, innit?

rene59
    Free Member

Wellies for the win!

ourmaninthenorth

At the Welly Warehouse of course…

Next door to Merlin Cycles, as it happens. So you can hide your shame by dressing like a cyclist instead. Oh….

TomB

Croc Wellies would get my vote, not withstanding the fashion police above.

stumpy01

Crocs & flip flops etc – don’t you still end up with the bottom of your trousers getting wet?

That’s why I like hiking boots when camping. They prop your trousers up a bit, generally above grass height which keeps the bottom of them dry.

trail_rat
    Free Member

frankly – i couldnt give a shit what others think binners 😉 gave up on that along time ago other wise id have to go out and get an audi and a 650b orange to stick on the roof rack 🙂

bit like the disapproving tuts we got when taking my kiwi cousin to the shops barefoot

lucky7500

After years of festivals and field based camp sites with pretty much exactly the same problem, flip flops. It’s much much easier to dry your feet than constantly change socks or attempt to dry shoes. Just put proper shoes on when you leave the site (usually on solid roads and paths).

mrjmt
    Free Member

Crocs & flip flops etc – don’t you still end up with the bottom of your trousers getting wet?

flip flops + short shorts

TheFlyingOx

I’d buy Hi-Tec all day long, but the wife has banned them. Apparently she was one of the “in” crowd at school and they all took the piss out of kids that had Hi-Tec rather than whatever Nike/Reebok was chaussure du jour, or “shoe of the day” as they say in France. I did question whether or not this was a) relevant 20 years on, or b) really something to be proud of, but she just said if I was at her school then I’d have been one of the kids she’d have bullied.

Still not sold on wellies, but at least the link to the Welly Warehouse reminded me that the boy needs a new pair.

trail_rat
    Free Member

crocs would really drive her mental then – with the added bonus of making binners think hes better than you 😉

footflaps

Trousers in September? Shorts till the snow settles….

TheFlyingOx

Excellent. Would hooky Crocs from AliExpress heighten or lessen the superiority felt by binners? (regardless of my general agreement with his sentiment)

Answer carefully, because it is crucial to my decision.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Crocs and seal skins socks if you’re in and out of the tent/van. Not so much if you’re out and about

perchypanther
    Free Member

Crocs and seal skins socks

thejesmonddingo

Flying Ox,she thinks like that,and you married her? One (or both) of you is really dumb.

TheFlyingOx

Hehe. I married her out of fear after she sparked me clean out outside a kebab shop in Sheffield.

All joking aside…

send help

thejesmonddingo

You got kids?

cinnamon_girl

😆

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘What waterproof shoes for pottering about on a campsite in wet grass?’ is closed to new replies.