Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What Van (for family / cyclist)?
  • singletracksurfer

Have had Transits in the past, but having a family now means I need to get rid of the current tranny for something with a row of seats behind me (for the little'uns) and a space in the back for the bikes, etc.

Really like the VW Transporter, but don't want to spend more than £5,000. Not heard great things about the Vito. Wife seems to think Toyota Hiyace do one with 5 seats, but I can't find any!

What should I be looking at?

Recommendations or offers…

Thanks.

adeward
    Free Member

i would recommend a mazda bongo,,

millsonwheels
    Free Member

We got a VW Caravelle in December. We have taken the very back row of seats out for bikes/ camping stuff and its ace! Ours is an older one (2000) so was more affordable, as we had a slightly smaller budget than you. We had thought about a Vito, but read some bad reviews about rust etc.

spooky_b329

Get a conversion company to stick a second row of seats in, couple of windows and a bulkhead, sorted 🙂

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

vw hold their value like crazy, and with a conversion can increase value like crazy.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Renault Trafic is well worth looking at.

> vw hold their value like crazy, and with a conversion can increase value like crazy<

i.e expensive to buy. Better options around imo if your budget is £5k

mick_r

We have a new shape Dispatch Combi and it is ace (Scudo and Peugeot Expert are also identical)- but a bit scarce 2nd hand and doubt if you will find one for your money. Also comes registered as a car so no speed limit / insurance hassles. I've made my own tubular steel / mesh bulkhead to keep kids and bikes apart.

Very late (early 2007 ish?) old shape Scudo / Dispatch / Expert Combi should be in your budget and is still a good beast.

I would REALLY go for an original factory fit version (Combis, VW window van, Merc Travelliner, Vivaro minibus or crew van etc). Treat conversions with caution and ask questions about seat spec (should be M1), testing, under floor reinforcement etc. A few bolts with big washers are not good enough in most cases…..

Trafic / Viavro crew van is a good ready made bulkhead and seat option. You can get retro fit of the same (very strong and safe conversion) for many vans but it is in the region of £2000 http://www.doublecabin.co.uk/index.htm

singletracksurfer

thanks. Hmm, yes was thinking about a smaller combi type vehicle, will look into those.

Will see what Caravelles are around too. Anything (bad) to look out for on them?

My Transits have always been sooooo reliable, its a shame to move on, but I want something a bit smaller (and I can't be bothered converting it further).

Curly68
    Free Member

VW T4 transporters are the ones to go for if you want to keep your money. Especially if you buy a base van then spend the rest on tarting it to your needs. Value will then double at least.
    Vivaro's are nice and drive well and cheap!

khani
    Free Member

2nd a bongo, width and length is about the same as a vectra so easy to park and stuff, had one nearly four years now and been to france/germany/holland numerous times, all over the uk and just done 1500+ miles to livigno and back with 5 peaple+ski kit and luggage and it did'nt miss a beat, you would get a nice one for five grand as well

Tiboy

How about a renault grande espace, 7 seats if you need them, but rear two remove when not needed. great diesel engines and pretty affordable. You'd get the new shape one with a 1.9DCi engine for your £5k.

We've had an older shape one for a couple of months now and it's great for biking!

🙂

singletracksurfer

hmm, like the idea of the Espace – can you fit a bike bag (130cm odd) in it across?

robidoo
    Free Member

VWT4 for the win, I have had mine nearly 2 years and it's the best thing I have bought.
    Like you I had 5K and found a nice one (with 5 seats and bulkhead) and looking round now I would struggle to find one the same spec as mine for five grand.
    Scene tax is mental.

Tiboy

Dunno, will measure when my wife gets home, or tomorrow morning, pretty sure it would though, will get back to you…

nickjb
    Free Member

Friend of mine has a VW transporter for exactly that. He bought a plain van cheap and fitted the rear window and seats. Its a great vehicle for a trip to the Alps.

singletracksurfer

ha ha, hadn't heard of 'Scene Tax' before. But then I don't get out a lot.

Thanks Tiboy.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What Van (for family / cyclist)?’ is closed to new replies.