Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • What tyres to make the M1 'come alive'?
  • rascal
    Free Member

Hi folks

Need 2 new front tyres for my Golf 2.0TDI GT.
    They are currently Michelin Primacy HP 225/45/R17.
    Guessing (hoping) they’ve been on the car since new but not sure (I’ve had it since October and it’s just passed 21k).
    Do about 250 mostly motorway miles a week so roughly 15k a year.
    Nice balance between cost, grip, low rolling resistance and longevity – moon on a stick I know!
    What do you guys use/recommend?

cultsdave
    Free Member

I recently got these tyres for my Focus http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?s_p=Goodyear-Efficient-Grip-Performance-205_55-R16-91W&details=Ordern&typ=R-234549&cart_id=42759652.110.14035&ranzahl=4&Breite=205&Quer=55&Felge=16&Speed=W&weiter=0&Ang_pro_Seite=5&sort_by=Lable_DEX&Transport=P&dsco=110&rsmFahrzeugart=ALL

I know those are the wrong size. The main thing I noticed was how quiet they are compared to the last tyres I had. For motorway miles they make a huge difference. They seem to be wearing ok and I haven’t noticed any negatives in terms of grip. Think they won an award in Auto Car but can’t be sure.

TheFlyingOx
    Rich_s

I’ve put 97k+ on a golf estate up and down the motorways. I hated the one set of Goodyear Efficient Grips I tried – slightly worse economy than the P7’s to the tune of about 2mpg and didn’t like the bends at all in the wet – genuinely hated them. So I reverted to P7’s.

I stuck with them until the current set of P7 Cinturados (front only) which… I don’t like as the car seems to tramline a lot more with them on.

I’ll try the P7 green whassisnames next.

HTH

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2’s.

Not the cheapest and not by far the most expensive but IMHO a great tyre. Last reasonabley well providing you ant spinning the wheels all the time.

cp

The Primacy’s are good summer tyres, I get 40k+ miles per set of 4 on my Legacy.

A FWD Golf TDI GT is going to tear through front rubber regardless of what you put on it.

toby1

Sadly nothing will improve the M1, it is a dull traffic prone slog.

globalti
    Free Member

It doesn’t really matter what you put on the front of that car – if you don’t like them they’ll have been chewed to nothing by all that torque in about 20,000 miles anyway.

Primacy Pilots on my Passat diesel. Seem OK.

nickc

If you’re going with Goodyear, don’t get Eagles, whilst they’re quiet, OMG they are vague

Suggsey
    Free Member

Personally for edge of tread longevity and overall noise/mpg…..stick with the Michelins!

rascal
    Free Member

Just doing a bit of price gathering.
    They vary…a LOT.
    National Tyres seem to charge way more than everyone else….c. £135…per tyre 😯

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve had goodyear efficient grips, dunlop sport bluresponse, and michelin energy savers on the C-max.

All were black, round and infinitely better in every way than the uniroyal rain experts they replaced. I’ve not been keeping track of how long the current tyres have lasted, but unless I’m forgetting a pair inbetween or the garrage swapped front/back without me remembering, the efficient grips are lasting a scary ammount of time.

spence
    Free Member

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2’s on at the moment, good grip in the dry and wet but at 6k the driven wheels are over half worn.

Previous motorway muncher had Bridgestone Turanza T001’s on it they lasted well with a good grip/ride compromise (something all tyres are).

rascal
    Free Member

Confused about which one to go for.
    Heard good things about Good Year Effiecient Grip – then one person’s negative user comments make you doubt what you’ve heard. Pirelli P7? Conti Sport Contact 5? Bridgestone Potenza? Arrrgggghhhhh!
    How long does a tyre last?
    I know there are loads of variables that decide that which will be different for everyone.
    There can’t be one tyre that ticks all the boxes – good grip all all conditions, last ‘forever’, fuel-efficient, quiet and won’t bankrupt you.
    If you can’t have it all, what are you prepared to compromise on? Don’t mind paying if it lasts a decent time.
    A mate of mine surprised me tonight when he told me he doesn’t put ‘premium’ tyres on his Alfa GT Cloverleaf 170bhp.
    Does big brands = marketing bullshit?
    Anyone heard of Evergreen/any experience of them? Quite new I think and apparently good but never heard of them…so many questions 🙄

rascal
    Free Member

It’s a mare deciding what tyres to go for.
    Might stick with the Michelins after all – I can only assume they are the originals and if they are then they’ve lasted 21k miles so can’t be that bad – never had any issues with them for the 6k miles I’ve put on them.
    Moving to another brand might mean far less miles out of a set.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Barum bravuris 2 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Confused about which one to go for.

Problem is no one ever gets through enough cars/tyres to make an informed judgement, and if they do do galactic mileage, it’s likely they’re on motorways and the company is paying for fuel so any old crap would be adequate.

I think it’s autocar does an annual grouptest, and it’s usually won by one of the efficient grip/bluresponse/energy+, seemed a good enough reason to pick them.

I do think the proper branded tyres are better than cheaper ones, had some prestivo’s which were OK, but tramlined quite a bit.

_tom_
    Free Member

I got some Nexen Eco Blue tyres for my Golf and about 15000 miles later they still have quite a bit of life left in them by the looks of thing, I’d recommend em. They had better efficiency and wet grip ratings than the more expensive name brands as well.

rascal
    Free Member

A local garage I popped into on Fri recommended Prestivo – I’d never heard of them – ‘all the taxi drivers ask for them’. Googled them and they are not very good by all accounts – at £85 a pop I’d rather spend more and get a reputable, proven tyre.

jam-bo

Best bit about prestivo is the damage replacement. 10% worn, pay 10% relplacement cost. Was handy when I trashed one about 300miles in.

daveh
    Free Member

I’ve just fitted P7s all round. 2 things I’d say versus the Goodyear Excellence that came off, they’re noiser and the ride is worse. The plus side is the side walls are stiffer so they squirm less (55 profile tyre on a heavy car). I reckon go for something which is reasonably well rated (tyrereviews.co.uk) but on offer – I went for 3.5% tcb, £5 tcb bonus offer plus £20 manufacturer offer, knocked about £40 off £410.

timber

Have had Michelin Primacy and Hankook Ventus on cars for long periods without any sketchy moments, easily 40k on the back, nearly 20k for the Michelins on the front of a Mondeo diesel (could reduce Avons to slicks in 10k). Avon ZV5? were good for grip though, even when near slick.

Had some dirt cheap tyres on a Cavalier a few years back, they are probably the only part to have not rotted or worn away, every trip was a skid pan experience.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Another vote for the Goodyear efficient grips, get the performance version, only a couple of quid more but much better sidewall.

rascal
    Free Member

Liking the sound of the GY Efficient Grip Performance and Dunlop’s Sport BluResponse too.

Has anyone bought tyres online from blackcircles or mytyres.co.uk and had them fitted somewhere else?
    I can get the GYEG for £70 each but £15 to fit each one at a recommended ‘fitting station’. Hassle free?
    I’d save £20 this way as opposed to just going somewhere and getting it all done in one place.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

I saved myself £90 this week by buying 2 tyres online from oponeo and having the local tyre shop fit them for £10 a tyre!
    Definitely worth doing.

rascal
    Free Member

Oponeo don’t have a network of fitters – will any garage fit any tyre for a fee?
    Their GYEG Performance are £73 x 2 = £146. By the time I’ve had them fitted @ £10-15 each that’s £166-176. I can rock up at Tanvic and get them done for £192…bit of a saving but hardly a no-brainer….I thought these online places were silly cheap. Am I missing something?

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

I didn’t use one of their fitters.

I got 3 quotes before I bought the tyres online so I’m sure of the saving I made.

Dunno mate maybe I just bought a more uncommon size that costs more over here (oponeo are in Holland I believe).

rascal
    Free Member

F1 Autocentres looking good and open tomorrow 🙂
    GYEG Performance – £82.30 fitted
    GY Eagle Assymetric 2 – £75.20 fitted
    Conti Sport Contact 5 – £84.20 fitted
    Dunlop Sport BluResponse – £90 fitted

It’s one of these 4 – bloody decent prices so tomorrow’s D Day!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

From experience Pirreli P7’s are fantastic in the snow to the point you would almost think they are a winter tyre

spooky_b329

Rascal, you can work out if they are the originals by looking at the date code, 1209 would be 12th week of 2009.

cp

That f1 place is very cheap… Just looked for mine…

rascal
    Free Member

Thanks Spooky – never knew that. Just checked – car is a 13 plate – all tyres are 4812. Can’t imagine all 4 have been changed so good chance they’re all original – fair assumption?

neilnevill
    Free Member

I’ve used black circles, my tyres and just a few weeks ago tyre leader ( for a set of alloy rims) excellent service and far far cheaper. The German based ones (my tyres and tyre leader, possibly others) are cheap currently as euro is weak.
    Tyres delivered to local back street fitter, fitted there for about £10

neilnevill
    Free Member

Ask f1 if they will price match, they often do.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘What tyres to make the M1 'come alive'?’ is closed to new replies.