Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • What tyres (moon on a stick content)
  • Cougar

Seems everyone is allowed one “what tyres” thread. This is mine.

Looking for a new set of tyres for the OH’s Marin HT. It came with 2.2″ Conti Mountain Kings fitted, which weren’t overly great when new and now the rear is almost a slick.

Looking for something fit & forget for UK conditions. With the best of intentions, swapping tyres for weather / conditions isn’t going to happen.

She rides everything from canal towpaths (rough gravel, ill-maintained tarmac and dusty singletrack) to UK trail centres (Gisburn / Llandegla / 7 Stanes etc) to random pin-in-a-map off-road natural trails mostly in the North-West (grass, hardpack, sticky mud, roots, rocks, whatever else nature throws at us). Today, as an example, we started out on the canal (tarmac) and ended up on a trail through the woods which nearly unseated me when I sank almost up to the hubs in sloppy mud.

She’s a larger lady, so something with a good sidewalls and reasonably low rolling resistance would be helpful I expect. And yes, I know this contradicts everything I’ve said so far.

I’ve read through a bunch of ‘what tyres’ threads here, and it seems that the Bonty Mud X’s seem to be pretty close to what (I think) I’m looking for. My concern though is that they’re going to be slow, and that any sort of mileage in dry conditions is going to destroy them in short order.

I’ve seen that there’s a Mud XR as well as a Mud X, but I can’t immediately see what the difference is? Also, Bonty’s own site seems to be pointing me towards the FR3 instead as an ‘all-rounder’ tyre; looking at the pattern, it ‘feels’ like it might be more suitable as it’s got what looks like a faster midsection with nobbly sides.

And then there’s sizing. 1.8, 2.0, what difference does this make? I have no idea. Is it going to cause her a problem coming from 2.2’s?

Anything else I should be looking at?

Sorry this has got a bit rambly. Any feedback gratefully appreciated, thanks in advance.

transapp
    Free Member

Fir and forget, probably Maxxis High Rollers or Nobby Nics? Possibly with a side protion of the Conti Rubber Queen Black Chilli.
    I think the Mud X and the XR are infact the same tyre. If so, whichever would be good for most of the time in the UK, just falling down on those hot days when you want to kick up some dust.
    1.8’s will seem pretty skittish and harsh (due to less tread on the ground and higher pressure needed) than 2.2’s. I’d stick to the larger tyre, but get a light one.

Whyte1
    Free Member

The mud x are really narrow and even more fragile so steer clear unless you need ride through a lot of mud .
    Have a look at the Maxxis Ardent they are really grippy and roll very well plus you can get them in EXO sidewall

rob-jackson
    Free Member

ardents are shoite in mud

Cougar

worth a read

Yeah, I spotted that; I’ll keep an eye on it.

Have a look at the Maxxis Ardent

They look good actually; 65 sovs a pair mind, and 90 for the EXO flavour. Oof.

Northwind

Depends on the mud, if you can keep any pace going they clear brilliantly but they’re not much cop at slow sticky mud.

I would be looking at Eskar Controls, I think- they’re decent at everything- though they do struggle with really deep mud- they’re a good size, but still quick for a big knobbly, and they’re respectably tough. Not enormously grippy on dry rock and the like, not compared to a supertacky… Basically not the fastest, nor the grippiest, nor the muddiest but a pretty good compromise.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

like my eskars

Cougar

Eskars / Nics / High Rollers – For every recommendation I read for all of these, I read another from someone complaining about them. It’s all very confusing…!

Sidewall strength problems on the Eskars. Nics wear too quickly. Stability issues on the HRs. Or, a lot of people like whining on about nothing. Who knows.

glenh
    Free Member

I use eskars all year round, all over the country. Never feel the need to change them.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

eskar control sidewalls are great

glenh
    Free Member

Ps if you are concerned about the sidewalls on eskars, why not try the armadillo version?

avdave2

and it seems that the Bonty Mud X’s seem to be pretty close to what (I think) I’m looking for

As I was reading the first part I was thinking Mud X. I use them on my rigid bike which is the one I use whenever the weather is a bit iffy, the hardtail is mainly just a summer bike. Mine are on their second winter and do a fair few miles as I commute off road to work. They are a little draggy on the short road section of my ride but I only really notice that because it’s a mile up Bear Road which anyone who rides around Brighton will know to be a bit of an arse whatever off road tyres your using.

I find them good in all conditions and they have stood up to all the flints I regularly encounter but I’m only around 60KG so I’m probably a bit less demanding on tyres than heavier riders and they are quite narrow.

Cougar

if you are concerned about the sidewalls on eskars, why not try the armadillo version?

a) I’m not concerned about them, other people seem to be. I know nothing about them.

b) I wasn’t aware that such a thing existed. Ta.

colournoise

Apart from in the current sticky gloop that is my local trails, I’ve been happily running Michelin Wild Grip’rs (2.25f, 2.00r) for the rest of the year. Wet, dry, dusty, sandy, rocky or rooty they have been better than me every time.

slainte 😀 rob

Northwind

The sidewalls on my Eskars feel plenty tough- they’re tubeless ready so have a fair amount of rubber in them.

chiefgrooveguru

If she doesn’t corner ‘aggressively’ she may find the Eskars a bit uncertain until they’re into the edge knobs. The pre-2012 Bontrager XR4s are similar but more progressive with less ultimate edge grip. The new XR4s look great. They’re all damned big and roll quicker than they look.

Whyte1
    Free Member

Also Minion front 2.35 kevlar bead are as good as an all rounder gets plus they roll ok too and wear well

Simon

Sidewalls on Eskar Controls are fine. I’ve been using them tubeless for the last two years, used them on some fairly rocky stuff including several races at Lee Quarry and a few Gravity Enduros and never had a puncture. Great tyres.

Cougar

If she doesn’t corner ‘aggressively’ she may find the Eskars a bit uncertain until they’re into the edge knobs.

Noted, ta.

Also Minion front 2.35 kevlar bead are as good as an all rounder gets plus they roll ok too and wear well

I’m liking the look of this. Can’t find any bad reviews so far.

dan1980
    Free Member

2.25 Maxxis advantages would fit the bill I think.

Very happy with the 2 pairs I use (on different bikes!) Pretty good in peak slop, and they’ve got good grip on rocks/roots etc. I’ve been through the side walls on Nobby nicks, Kenda Nevegals, and panaracer rampages, I’ve yet to even scuff the maxxis sidewalls yet.

Russell96

Maxxis aDvantage are a good all year round tyre, 2.1’s in the 62a compound. Will handle soggy wet Gisburn, Lee Quarry, Peak District and off piste Dyfi trails and easily put up with a large heavy rider like me. Will add that in a 2.1 they are slightly wider than 2.2 MK’s.

scaredypants

If she doesn’t corner ‘aggressively’ she may find the Eskars a bit uncertain until they’re into the edge knobs

I think this VERY much applies to Ardents too – that’s why some think they’re kack while others like ’em

Cougar

Hm.

Minion or ADvantage, ADvantage or Minion…? One of each?

Minefield, this.

amsterdan
    Free Member

rubber queen black chilli a bit expensive but a superb all rounder

honourablegeorge

I’m in the early stages of thinking Hans Dampfs are the greatest thing ever.

RustySpanner

My partner was nervous in slippy corners and hated High Rollers.

She tried loads of tyres and settled on Panaracer Cinders.
    Not fast, but grippy and seemed to help her confidence. No tread gaps, good alrounder. A very ‘safe’ tyre.

After a few years she still uses a Cinder 2.25 on the front with a Spesh Purgatory on the back – has a large volume, comfy, really grips and is cheap.

Having said that, I’ve got a Minion DHF Supertacky for really bad weather (put it on yesterday for a month or so) which is slow but soooo grippy, might be worth a go on the front.

DT78
    Free Member

If you are riding in heavy mud I really rate my 1.8 f medusa/ 2.0 r mud x combo. Fantastic grip, went out on my other wheelset the other day (advantage / larson) and couldn’t believe how bad it was – all over the place on roots & leaves.

You mention sidewalls, but not why you think it is important – slice protection? – I also really rate rocket rons and have had not slices or punctures in 2 years of running them throughout the year for races. Cheap from on-one too.

Cougar

You mention sidewalls, but not why you think it is important – slice protection?

Mainly, for confidence; she’s paranoid about pinch punctures. They don’t have to be uber-strong, just not made out of Philadelphia.

chakaping
    Free Member

Bonty Mud X’s seem to be pretty close to what (I think) I’m looking for. My concern though is that they’re going to be slow,

No, Mud Xs are fast.

Bit narrow for some people’s tastes but a good all-rounder for someone who’s not going to be shredding the gnar very much.

Cougar

Is there any conventional wisdom as to front / back setups? Eg, nobbly on front and fast on back, or something?

z1ppy

No, Mud Xs are fast.

Bit narrow for some people’s tastes but a good all-rounder for someone who’s not going to be shredding the gnar very much.

+1 good all rounders, fast for a nobbly tyre and great in muddy conditions & would be my recommendation. Dunno why it was suggest their slow above, slow compared to a Racing Ralph maybe but you wouldn’t run one of those during the winter.
    Bontrage ACX’s is a similar alternative & bit fatter.

Cougar

Dunno why it was suggest their slow above

I was speculating is all, they look slow being nobbly.

z1ppy

well there not 😀 … fitted a couple for friends last winter, and they both ran them all year without issue (even worn pretty well too – enough they’ve not need to replace them for the current gloop).
    I save mine for winter, and am of a larger figure, the 2.0 is fine.

soobalias
    Free Member

mud x is lovely for this time of year, along with medusas or trailrakers

none of which are fit and forget tyres IMO.

XR4s (2.2) are huge and the pair i have are going on the FS just as soon as the new ADvantages (2.1) arrive for the HT.

Both of these are great all year tyres, along with minions*. You may be tempted to swap them out if the summer is really dry and dusty.

The rigid SS is sporting a mud x and a swamthing.

*2.5 dual ply supertacky is not an all round tyre.

soobalias
    Free Member

XR2 and XR3 look to be faster than the XR4s but ive not tried them and when i read the bonty notes on them it felt/sounded like they were not writing from a uk perspective.

simondbarnes

Have a look at the Maxxis Ardent

They look good actually; 65 sovs a pair mind, and 90 for the EXO flavour. Oof.

If you fancy giving the Ardents a go then they’re at a very competitive price here…

http://www.bikeshak.com/maxxis-mtb-sale/

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘What tyres (moon on a stick content)’ is closed to new replies.