Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What type of heater for garden room
  • ac505
    Free Member

I’m looking to install either a convector heater or infrared heater to our garden room. From what I can see, wall mounted infrared are more economical as they heat the object and not the air, but the object needs to be in line of sight to gain the benefit. Whereas a free standing convector heater heats the air so less economical.

I briefly thought about an air source heat pump but the cost is prohibitive. Any suggestions/recomendations?

totalshell

we get asked this we have a garden room conservatory question at least twice a week especiall at this time of year.

as a great aprt of the structure is glass insulation is minimal as such much of the heat generated is lost easily and quickly

an electric convector heater has been the preffered route for a number of years but a new solution we have just started using is an electric water filled radiator . and it works like a normal radiator both convecting and radiating heat

all it needs is a plug socket and bingo

installed from as little as £400 each

ac505
    Free Member

but I would guess no more efficient than a traditional oil filled rad? The infrared ones, on paper, look pretty good, but in reality… who knows?

sobriety
    Free Member

Wood burner, at least that’s what I plan on doing with mine 🙂

Edukator
    Free Member

None at all. You’ll no doubt find the planning regs and permission you have preclude heating such a poorly insulated space.

Put a coat on if you must use that space in winter.

ac505
    Free Member

Poorly insulated? Fortunately not the case, the space is well insulated. Wood burner would be lovely, just a little impractical and would require planning for the chimney flue.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

You’ll no doubt find the planning regs and permission you have preclude heating such a poorly insulated space.

? Are you claiming planning regs will not allow someone to heat their home? How will they stop you? Come and stand outside the room shaking their head every time you get your fan heater out?

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Just about to put heat into my extension. Dont want to utilise the heating from the house via radiators ( none close to the extension and use some in my conservatory as addition to the original build and heatload), dont like/ want underfloor heating, as there’s a lot of power usuage before it does anything and convector heaters are expensive to run. Since I work in aircon, I am installing a heat pump. It ‘maybe’ more expensive in the short term, but compressors are inverter driven nowadays and are very efficient in their operation. This means you should be getting a payback on energy consumption over electric heaters. Also it will cool in the summer, if we ever need it to. The room wont be used all of the time, so seemed a sensible option for us for the time it is used.

Edukator
    Free Member

This thread demonstrates why man will burn every last drop of oil, thoroughly greenhouse the planet and return to the dark ages.

The money spent on the extension would have been better spent on insulating the main house. I can only assume that that people heating more space than they really need to live have no kids and don’t give a monkey’s about anyone that will live to post oil.

ac505
    Free Member

Actually, this thread demonstrates a need to heat a room. In my case, I work from home – so instead of heating the house all day I’ve built a well insulated, timber built garden room. Now looking for a way to heat it efficiently – so in my view I’m doing my bit to reduce my carbon footprint. Oh and the timber came from a sustainable source.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What type of heater for garden room’ is closed to new replies.