Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What to look out for when moving back to UK
  • Travis

So moving on from another feed about moving back. (http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/moving-back-to-the-uk)

Things have progressed, and I am through to final rounds of interviews.

One thing I need to look at, is a time line for moving back, and more importantly, what do I need to do for my family when I do move back.

So, a question out there, to those who did move back to UK.
    What was difficult, and if you did it again, how would you do it differently?

eg. Stay in hotel, before finding somewhere place to live.
    Look at local schools in advance

That sort of thing.

Cheers,
    Travis

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not moved back but jumped to the other side of the world.
    Whats the company offering if you get the job?
    Depending on the area I’d probably ask on here and go on right move and look at rentals for 6 months.
    Just seen your in China so popping back for a weekend is a no!
    I’d fly ahead of the family and probably a week or so before the job depending on finances, line up 10 furnished rentals to view saying your ready to sign on the day if you like it, get all the ID & Checks done in advance and get a letter from you employer confirming your situation and have someone there on speed dial to confirm all that.

In general it’s easier for 1 person to bounce around hotels etc. than a family. Shipping will take time so taking pressure off that will be useful.

If you know the area then contacting the schools admissions people etc in advance would be good.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Apparently middle class dinner parties are worse than death. Or something.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Priority 1. Keep wife and family happy.

Definitely look at schools at put your name down. IMO it could well be very difficult depending on where you are living to get a place at your first choice school this late in the day (again assuming you want places for Sep). Local authority will find you a place but it might not be what/where you want. This is a major stress.

Staying in hotels is rubbish after more than a few weeks. Are you buying or renting ? If renting then get on the property search now, any local friends who can help you out ? When I’ve moved abroad I have rented “serviced apartments” for 3 months to take pressure off rental search and give myself more bargaining power. These days AirBnB might work well for you.

Car rentals. These can be very cheap, shop around, look for ones away from airports. Prices usually jump up if remtal longer tan 3-4 weeks so chop and change. Looking for property without a car is a pita.

Good luck.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Spouse visas are a fag to get since Theresa May came in as home secretary, especially quickly. We did ours from inside the UK so I’m not sure how yours would work but the rules are the same. Presumably you’ll be earning over £18,600, if not forget about it.

I would recommend getting one of the visa review services or a lawyer to look over your application for the first visa (you’ll need three over five years before she gets indefinite leave to remain). It costs a lot but it means you’ve done it exactly by the book and won’t get any problems.

Good luck, my wife’s visa really is the bane of our lives and I’d not wish it on anyone.

HansRey

i moved over in June from Finland. Work reimbursed the majority of my removals costs, which was helpful. However, the first month was tight as I had to pay for it from my own account and it took a month to get the money back.

I signed up for a room with bills included. I’m paying over the odds, but I would have struggled to get everything (broadband, gas, electric, etc.) set up on day one. A serviced apartment is a good call, although expensive.

Make sure that you have registered to vote in your new location.

If you have student loans inform the student loans company that you’re in the UK immediately and update them on your new address. Likewise, ensure that your employer has correctly linked you on their payroll with the student loan company system. Get the confirmation in writing.

Amazon prime is worth paying for if you don’t have a car. I needed to order lots of daft things like shelving, an iron, clothing, adapaters, etc. and to have it delivered next day was extremely helpful. Obviously, it does tie you to buying from Amazon.

If you do have a car, make sure to transfer your driving licence to the UK. Forms available from the dvla.

Lastly, getting a phone contract can be a faff without a good credit score. Mine was non-existant as i’d been living outside the UK. I ordered a GiffGaff sim from Amazon and bought a package from the GiffGff website. The service isn’t great, but it’s easy and cheap.

oopnorth
    Free Member

Just going through this exact process ourselves, in fact just got confirmation of an approved spousal visa today. All done outside of the UK in Singapore. Wasn’t a hard process, forms submitted online, supporting documents etc given in at the local visa office (we didn’t do anything out of the ordinary, no lawyers or anything). We paid extra for a 10 day fast track service due to time, got a decision in 6.
    My wife is Russian so i don’t believe its any worse since Brexit. We have 2 kids with British citizenship, so that will help, plus I have a job set up and had contracts etc to show. I think as long as you have the documents they require, it shouldn’t be an issue.

Regarding set up in the UK, we have taken an initial 6 month rent so we can plan better where we want to live once there. Schools, we have contacted the admissions team of the local council but are still awaiting a decision, we are not too fussy right now because we may areas again in 6 months.
    The biggest worry is no furniture as such until the shipment arrives, until then its beg, borrow and steal.

Best of luck, as you can see not all visa applications are hard work.

Travis

Thanks for the info.

Yes, Rule no.1 Wife and Children must be happy.
    I’ll probably be going first, then the rest join later. All the Children have British Citizenship, it’s just the wife that’s the odd one out.

Looking for Primary schools, I think is going to be one of my initial headaches, as I don’t know the area I am moving too that well (got some nice Strava segments though), and I don’t think they will be out, until nearer Christmas time.

Once I get there, I will talk to local staff, and see what their opinions are, it will also help me find an area to live as well.

We shall be renting initially.

Travis

@Munrobiker… We haven’t thought about using a Visa agency, but may do.

Did you use one? If so, any recommendations?

Cheers,
    Travis

Toddboy
    Free Member

We moved back from Australia to the UK 3 years ago. Luckily we stayed in my parents place for a few weeks until our house was available. Still had to wait another 4 to 6 weeks for our container full of our furniture, etc to arrive though.
    It’s useful to plan to have a few weeks to organize things when you arrive, (unfortunately I started my new job straight away when I arrived back). Things like bank accounts, accommodation, energy suppliers, driving licenses, etc all need sorting.
    It is also very useful to organize new mobile phones, (or new sim cards) straight away. Another useful item that we bought was a mobile internet dongle. It can take a while to get your internet sorted when you move in to your new property and you will need the internet straight away to sort all sorts of things out or even to buy various essential items.

Mackem

Car insurance expensive as most insurers won’t take your foreign no claims. When they say they do, they want the documentation in English from your old insurer , not a translation.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Travis – I’ve asked my wife who we used, I’ll let you know. We only used them for our first application (as I’m sure you’re aware it’s 3 over 5 years), once you know exactly what they want and how to do it you can do it yourself. But it was a massive help because it was almost guaranteed to go right, there risk of any delays was minimised and I’m sure you’ll not want anything that’ll keep your wife away longer than necessary.

MoreCashThanDash

Watch out for whiney ex-pats.

Just saying….

munrobiker
    Free Member

Travis, we used this mob.

Work Permit Experts Ltd
    Velocity House
    3 Solly Street
    Sheffield
    S1 4DE

Tel : 0114 213 3691
    Fax : 08708684361

richc
    Free Member

6 days is fast for a visa! A colleague had to wait 11 weeks for a yes/no decision for his wife. Then got a “no”; appealed and after a further 3 weeks got a “yes”. Which seems like a long time, but apparently appeals can take upto 14 months! So he was quite happy.

Travis

Thanks for that Munrobiker… I have sent them a message.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What to look out for when moving back to UK’ is closed to new replies.