Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • what to do with classic italian columbus SL road bike?
  • petrieboy

this is my old road bike from my junior club days. had some good times with this bike but its been long forgotten in my parents cellar for the past 15 years or so. wheels are long gone (race-lite’s from my OCLV in pics) and the paint has seen better days. i think the whole frame is chromed. rear triangle is in pretty good shape but the forks are a bit of a mess.

so, not sure what to do with it.

cheap groupset and use it as a winter/training bike? but cheap groupsets seem few and far between (especially campag ones which would suit the frame best)

find a replacement set of wheels to suit the group thats on it but it was originally 7 speed screw on freewheel and I recall the rate i used to go through axles due to bending them was not insignificant and used these are going to be pretty old wheels

cheap set of modern campag wheels and singlespeed it

paint wise, altho the original paint was very nice, its really badly chipped so looks a bit grim. as i said, i think its fully chromed so thinking about using paint stripper to remove the paint and investigating the condition of the chrome, then either having the whole thing stripped to metal and powder coated or mask off the good chrome and painting myself (i like gulf oils racing blue and orange)

now the forks are the tricky bit. they are original fully chromed but the finish is badly pitted at the top and some of the fork legs. im going to guess proper re-chroming is going to be expencive, so i can either strip and paint them, paint the tops only (lower end is ok condition) or replace with a modern fork (which might just be the cheaper option)

anyway, just rambling now – dont really know what i want so will post pics and see what you guys think

Hairychested
    Free Member

Fixed or singlespeed it. Keep the girl moving.

yossarian
    Free Member

Send some pics of the damage over to Argos cycles and get chatting with them. A refurb and respray might be cheaper than you think.

Other than that I’d head over to hubjub and various other places to start sourcing modern components and make a really nice singlespeed.

winterfold
    Free Member

respray, Carbon forks, modern wheels (eg Aksium black), black low end Campag

there is someone making 1″ steerer carbon forks for £90ish – cant remember who, but it comes near the top if you google it

there will still be enough in it for it to be a shame to singlespeed it

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Worth restoring back to former glory imo. There are less and less nice old bikes, as people strip ’em down and SS/fixie them, or just bunging in skips.

If you’re not interested in doing all that, then bung it up for sale on Retrobike or somewhere. Let someone who will appreciate it enjoy it.

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

I had an old Concorde frame that had some badly pitted chrome forks. I took them and the frame to a powder coaters who bead blasted them and powder coated them to match the frame.

finbar
    Free Member

Is the Campagnolo groupset in the photos gone? I’d keep that on there if it isn’t.

petrieboy

The groupset is all there but I dont have the original wheels (they were screw on freewheel type and pretty fragile)
    Can’t see any of the drive being useful in a 9 speed setup.

I’m currently thinking get a new set of campag khamsin’s for £100 and fire a singlespeed sprocket on (assuming you can get campag pattern kits easily enough??

globalti
    Free Member

Interestingly that is almost identical in the frame and the details to a 1990 Harry Hall in Columbus SLX that I bought a few years ago for £150. It was shorter than yours, so short that with Roubaix tyres fitted you couldn’t remove the rear wheel without deflating the tyre. It was fast handling but brutally upright and stiff to ride, I sold it when I found a carbon bike dumped in a river. But that’s another story.

wingnuts

Its hideous! I’ll take it off your hands. Actually the TVM team rode Zullo bikes when Phill Anderson was with them in the late 80s. Don’t know how to do the linky thing but this is the page of a nice photo with the frame in a similar colour. Treat it well whatever you decide to do.

http://www.philanderson.com.au/wp-content/files/2010/03/Tour-of-Ireland-89.jpg

HansRey

looks exactly like my Cougar Joey McLoughlin , built from columbus tubes too! Post up when restored!

petrieboy

Thanks for that wingnut. That picture is identical (other than the coloured fork crown) to mine. Even the rear brake bridge is the same. Original decals looked like that too but they’ve long since gone. Perhaps I’ve mis-remembered the SL bit and it’s actually SLX?

BigTed
    Free Member

I’ve a Zullo SLX in case you need a few photos.

Zullo’s are particularly high end now http://www.zullo-bike.com/prodotti.html so well worth refurbishing I reckon.

duntstick
    Free Member

Send it to Argos(or similar) and turn it into

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘what to do with classic italian columbus SL road bike?’ is closed to new replies.