Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • What sock are you reaching for this winter?
  • SixFootTwo
    Free Member

So everything else stays warm when I’m out and I have some winter riding shoes (Shim xc50N) but could do with your suggestions for your go to warm sock (or 2 sock combo)when the temp starts wandering down around freezing?

Northwind

Sealskins with thin merinos under, usually, or failing that Woolie Boolies normally with another thin merino under

(Alpine Bikes were selling off some fairly nice Fox summer merinos recently, bought a stack- and 2 pairs is definately better than one)

honourablegeorge

Defeet Aireators, Wool-E-Ators or Woolie Boolies depending on the cold.

Brilliantly made socks.

STATO
    Free Member

I have some winter riding shoes (Shim xc50N)

No you dont, you so dont. Get some MW80 or 81 if you want real winter warmth. SOOO much better having feet that return home the same temp they left, rather than frozen solid.

BigJohn

Rapha thick merino over Rapha thin merino. If it goes down below -5 a pair of compression stockings underneath.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I absolutely avoid sealskinz like the plague.. just plain rubbish, cold and always let water in somehow

Go with merino now

colournoise

These have done me fine under my 5:10s in the temperatures we have had down here so far.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CLSOPP4/save_our_soles_pikes_peak_4_merino_wool_socks

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Warmer than my cheapo more miles running socks (under overboot) this morning. Ooh that was cold!

stevede
    Free Member

I’m liking my knee length seal skins so far this winter, always had issues with the shorter ones but my knee pads slip over the top of the knee length ones giving much better coverage and less chance of leaking. I’m happy with them anyway.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Also got the SOS socks from On-One but not tried them in winter conditions yet. Had the On-One thicky socks on last week and they were good. If it gets colder then I might try 2 pairs of the SOS as they are a bit thinnner than the thicky. Also got the MW80 and never really had cold feet with them but my feet do get damp either with sweat, or water going over the top, or the goretex not really working anymore. Merino all the way though.

Anna-B
    Free Member

What sock? Preferably one that was sold as a pair.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Sock of choice for me is Bridgedale summit/trail sock i think its called , warm and padded very comfortable.

banks
    Free Member

+1 colournoise. But I’m still sleeping with the window open

drofluf
    Free Member

The third one 🙂

onandon
    Free Member

Woolie boolies for me this winter. Far nicer than the sealskins I used last year.

cheers_drive

Woolie boolie for above zero and rd with overshoes. Wool ski socks for below zero with winter boots.

freeagent
    Free Member

Kirkland Merino wool trail socks from Costco – very nice.

anono

Overshoes plus sealskinz socks = happy feet

I’m ashamed to admit it, but roadies know something about this – overshoes do work. After almost getting frostbite, desperate measures were called for, so I took the plunge with some on one overshoes. These keep most of the water out – if any gets through the socks deal with it. Tested through the recent conditions (sub zero temps, standing water, frozen puddles) – not quite like a warm pair of slippers but much better than sticking your feet in a freezer.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Over shoes are fine but I found they would wear out too quickly and when they got dirty the zip could be a real pain. Not great if you do a bit of hike a bike too. I’d be reluctant to go back to them after wearing proper winter boots for the last three years.

pixelmix
    Free Member

I’ve got some Shimano MW81 winter boots. I’ve been using them for sub zero commutes and I now don’t give a flying duck about socks. I used to try to squeeze two pairs of socks into my normal riding shoes but they were so tight that they just restricted blood flow. The SealSkinz have been virtually unused since I got the MW81s.

Get some proper winter boots for toasty toes is my advice. Now if only I could sort my cold hands out…

matt_outandabout

Today? Two pairs of icebreakers and a pair of winter boots one size too big. Toastie.

stayhigh

Karrimor merino walking socks have done me proud so far this winter and last in my normal riding shoes and MT500 overshoes.

doubledunter
    Free Member

Last years woolie boolies for me, seal skinz for wetter days…

Taff
    Free Member

Some thick Hi-Tec ones from sport soccer for 99p. Toasty warm

epo-aholic
    Free Member

the merino ones from on-one are great, if its sub zero i’ll just add pair of coolmax ones (again on-one) Bargaintastic!

fudge9202
    Free Member

The only sock for this winter is the ulvang merino wool, £6.50 for 4 pairs they are awesome!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I got some of those but for work rather than biking. Can’t complain at the price really but I’ll be interested to see how robust they are.

Clover

Lake winter boots (a bit on the big side) plus mohair walking socks.

Capricorn Mohair to be precise – they have a website. As they’re grown and made in the UK also v close to my heart. 🙂

AlasdairMc

I wear Go Outdoors merino hiking socks under MT91 boots, unless it’s wet in which case I wear Seal Skinz hiking socks as they seem to keep water out the top better than the normal ones.

cynic-al
    Free Member

My special salty sock, as always.

SixFootTwo
    Free Member

Thank you for your socky wisdom!

labsey
    Free Member

Mavic thermal socks. Superb in the dry. Not great in the wet though.

hora
    Free Member

Something wrong with me-m&s cotton fresh socks 😆 …but I do wear two icebreaker merino tops.

thorpie
    Free Member

Hmm, still had cold toes this morning. I was wearing Endura Merino winter socks plus sealskinz socks and XC50N shoes (sealed uppers). What next?

sefton
    Free Member
    mauja
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of Thorlo wool blend hiking socks for when it’s really cold but since getting some Northwave Celsius shoes this year normal socks have been plenty warm enough.

hora
    Free Member

thorpie what do you wear over your core and head?

I’d look at that, its back to basics and we change as we get older.

In the last two really harsh winters I wore cotton socks in well-vented Spesh BG sport spd shoes.

My body was properly layered with non-cycling tops (merino upon merino) and head covered under helmet.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Always neoprene socks if feet likley go get wet. Think the ones I’ve got now are about 7 quid from decathlon water sports department.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

Fat smart wool phd ski socks.

thorpie
    Free Member

hora – Member
    thorpie what do you wear over your core and head?

I’d look at that, its back to basics and we change as we get older.

In the last two really harsh winters I wore cotton socks in well-vented Spesh BG sport spd shoes.

My body was properly layered with non-cycling tops (merino upon merino) and head covered under helmet.

POSTED 9 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Usually just a base layer and a Endura Gridlock jacket. Either a skull cap or my Gore balaclava thing under my helmet. Would the sealed uppers on my shoes make a positive/negative difference to the temp. of my feet? Can’t recall getting cold feet with my regular shoes?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘What sock are you reaching for this winter?’ is closed to new replies.