• This topic has 10 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by rafu.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What roof mounted bike rack for XL 29er?
  • spicypedro
    Free Member

Got a new bike a couple of weeks ago (2017 Whyte T-129s, thanks very much). It’s a smashing bike and in an XL is a great size for me (my previous bike was too small – bad purchase).

Anyway – I put the bike on my Thule 591 roof-mounted carrier at the weekend and hit upon a little bit of an issue. The carrier isn’t long enough for such a big bike. The only place I can clamp the downtime is right down by the BB, where it also clamps brake and shift cables – which I’m not altogether happy with. When it’s clamped, the front wheel fixing has to be slid halfway off the front of the rail in order to meet the length of the bike.

So to my question – how best to carry my very big, long bike on top of my car?

Who’s got a big bike? What do you use? I’d prefer to continue to use the roof since the bars cost me a fair bit (as did the Thule racks, but hey. Would I be better with one of those wheel-off, fork-mounted racks?

Northwind

ChrisL has a Mega 290 XL which is blimmin huuuuuge, and uses a Thule 591. That’s probably not too helpful though.

sweepy
    Free Member

If I remember correctly they recommend you clamp right near the bb. I put a large fatty on mine, have you moved the rear fixing as well?

spicypedro
    Free Member

Yeah, I had to move the rear fixing forward just to get the clamp to reach the frame, which is what necessitated the front fixing being moved so far forward too. It seems the clamp arm length is the real issue.

To be honest, it was pretty secure once it had all settled into place halfway up the A64 (when the front fixing slid forward of its own accord and I lost the front plastic plug off the rack base) and it did me to Dalby and back without major incident – it just doesn’t feel right to have so much money perched on my roof on a rack that is being extended beyond its designed limits.

timmys

You say the front wheel is half way off the front, but how does the the rear look because you can move the whole of the silver part relative to the arm so unless they are both hanging off you should be able to do sort it.

I have an Hightower 29er XL on a 598 (which I’m pretty sure is the same length as the 591), with no problem.

EDIT; yep, from your 2nd post sound like you need to move the whole silver rail forward. The instructions show you how I think, but it’s basically two hex bolts on the underside.

EDIT 2; If you can spring for the newer 598, the jaws are designed to be much kinder to cables in the clamping area. It’s also better in lots of other small but significant ways.

Dansk1

Same bike, same problem with a 591. It does fit on an Inno 389. Added bonus it doesn’t scratch the paint.

spicypedro
    Free Member

Thanks @timmys. I’ll have a look at moving the clamp arm backwards then. That should solve the problem, I think. If not, I’ll look into the 598.

yetidave
    Free Member

XL Singular swift on a 591. I moved the clamp a little to bring the front wheel back, but still loads of space on the tray for a longer bike.

warns74
    Free Member

I’ve had 4 XL 29ers, (2x HT and 2x FS) and all of them fitted onto Thule 591 and more recently a 598 without any issues.

Definitely look to slide the clamp backwards so both wheel channels are within the extents of the gutter.

As above, in terms of the cable clamping issue, the 598 is a much better design for this type of thing and has a softer deformable area on both sides of the clamp so the cables should be fine.

Personally I would sell the 591 and replace it with a 598, probably cost you £40 to swap over.

honourablegeorge

Longest Geometron here, goes on a Thule 591 just fine

rafu
    Free Member

@spicypedro

Sorry for offtop. I am 195cm and I am looking for trail FS bike – Whyte T-129/T-130 are on top of my list but I have concerns regarding seat tube length. Could you confirm if it is the same as in specs (482.6mm) or maybe longer by any chance? Additionally could you check what is the seatpost length from max line to saddle rails?

P.S. I also have Thule 591 and I hope that it will stay with me 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What roof mounted bike rack for XL 29er?’ is closed to new replies.