• This topic has 15 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What road bike/Commuter (yes I know!)
  • Clink

Been riding a Roadrat the 13 miles each way to work for a few days each week for last 3-4 years. Most of this has been ss. I use a rack and panniers and carry a fair bit of weight (teacher so books etc).

Just got a new job which is 16 miles and need to do it quickly as short of time (kids etc). I could put some gears on the ‘rat, but am doing a few more road rides now so fancy something lighter, faster and with gears. But it must take guards and a rack.

I’ve looked at road bikes online from Trek, Spec, Giant etc and just got confused. Could put gears on Roadrat but then even heavier! Kinesis Racelight T2 bike top choice at moment. Planet-x out as are Boardman as through Somerset cc and has to be local shops on list.

Any thoughts?

trail_rat
    Free Member

look at audax bikes – tend to have the longer stays for panniers yet still light and take guards

giant defy are also a good shout

trail_rat
    Free Member

btw gears on the rat although heavier doesnt neeed to mean slower 😉

Clink

Just found this – if only I could use Halfords 🙁

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/cx/cx_team.html

simondbarnes

I’d definitely look at Kinesis or if the budget can stretch to it a Sabbath September would fit the bill perfectly 🙂

Sabbath September by simondbarnes, on Flickr

Clink

Nice idea but too much ££££

banjowhacker
    Free Member

I have a similar situation, sort of. I want to replace my Focus Merluzza light tourer/commuter for no other reason than I want to…
    My list currently includes:
    Kinesis TK2;
    Condor Fratello;
    Thorn Audax; and
    Van Nicholas Amazon.

trail_rat
    Free Member

does any one rate thorn frames ? my girlfriends commuter is a raven enduro – its quite terrible in build quality and one of the EBB bolts welds has failed ….

Clink

Thorn very local to me. Interestingly all the retailers on Somerset cc give 10% discount on bike-to-work …. except for SJS/Thorn.

Bez

Cannondale CAADX 105 comes in just over the Boardman’s price. No discs, but an otherwise fantastic bike.

Bez

Very surprised to hear the Raven Enduro isn’t good. The frame on our Raven Discovery tandem seems the best quality I’ve seen other than a few artisan builders.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Maybe its just cus ours is old but it just stinks of cheap.

Clink

Cannondale CAADX 105 comes in just over the Boardman’s price. No discs, but an otherwise fantastic bike.

That looks nice – goes off to find local Cannondale dealers

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Clink, I don’t know if Cannondale have altered their sizing the past few years on their cx but they come up very strange so defiantly try before you buy.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Kinesis Racelight T2 bike top choice at moment.

And a very fine choice it is too. Here’s mine.

Bez

trail_rat, is yours made in Taiwan or the UK? Mine’s Taiwanese.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What road bike/Commuter (yes I know!)’ is closed to new replies.