• This topic has 10 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by IA.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What rims for XC & what hubs for DH
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

I have 2 mountain bikes but 1 set of wheels that both bikes share. As such the wheels are a bit on the heavy duty side being “alp friendly”.

So, I am considering some inexpensive DH type hubs and some lighter duty rims followed by an almighty wheel building session.

lighter duty rims for the hubs I have currently and heavy duty hubs to go with the heavy duty rims I am currently carting about.

Any suggestions?

Konastoner
    Free Member

5.1 on DT 440FR, that’s what i’ve been using for 3 years. Faultless.

Highland28
    Free Member

Mavic xc717 rims are light, and for the hubs it will depend on what you class ad being inexpensive. ha

Konastoner
    Free Member

Just to add, they come in at about 1900g total depending on what spokes you have. Which is about right as they sit in between the DT 1750 & DT 2350.

You could go for the 1750’s but the hubs are not as strong (DT 340’s).

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

I like Mavic XM719s as they are slightly beefier and slightly wider than XC717s and as such can take a battering.

Good for 15st oafs like me.

deserter
    Free Member

I have 721’s on hope pro11 hubs on my downhill bike, used to ride with lots of people who use that combo for xc

mboy
    Free Member

Stans 355 (or the new Crest) are great XC rims, without being too lightweight. Also nice and easy to convert to tubeless.

Another vote for the DT440 hubs here too. Awesome hubs, bit expensive, but really you do get quality 2nd to none. Of course the Hope Pro2’s are a solid reliable hub too, can’t go far wrong…

Hairychested
    Free Member

Hope Pro II on 719 should do both. More cheaply? Shimano Hone on 521.

njee20
    Free Member

Mavic xc717 rims are light

Not they’re not! NoTubes Crest or Alpine for rims.

Shimano XT or Pro 2s for hubs? Depends on cheap, as above.

Junkyard
    Free Member

no tubes for xc use. My 355 survived AE and the drops there but I am light fella
    All hope huns for me dt 5.1 beeft
    355 lightweight
    XT and 717 for medium ish and on SS

IA

Pro2 on the DH and XC bikes here too.

721s and 717s rim wise, all run tubeless.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What rims for XC & what hubs for DH’ is closed to new replies.