Viewing 4 posts - 81 through 84 (of 84 total)
  • what proportion of your net income goes straight out on bills?
  • tonyg2003

Paid off the mortgage a few years ago and we have no loans or childcare cost any more, so although I haven’t worked it out exactly but it’s below 10% I think.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

We went to the bank recently and they wanted to lend us loads for a new mortgage as we don’t owe anything and have been overpaying ours for years. We could get a mortgage now for a £250k house but are sticking at £160k as it will still enable us to have surplus to save or if rates go up.

Peoples eyes have been far larger than their wallets for some time now…

Thing is, in the SE you wouldn’t get a home for £160k, £250k would get you a flat in a nice-ish area.

To an extent our (as in my, although the country as a whole would probably be similar) financial security now rests on house prices being, at worst, stable. And we’ve had to gamble on prices rising at a rate that pushes down our loan to value rate to get us better rates quicker than the rates rise. Our saving grace is the new house needs a bit of (hopefully cosmetic) work so regardless of the market it’s value should rise before mortgage renewal time. It’ll be the only move we make for a very long time I reckon so as long as we can get mortgages at good rate’s we’ll be fine.

robowns
    Free Member

Live in a flat in London with my gf, my half of the bills + my car is about 30% of my salary.

SandyThePig
    Free Member

Blimey! By my reckoning you must be overpaying your mortgage by around a grand a month?!

I thought we were doing pretty well to put in an extra £250 month – good work fella!

Well, we have a second kid on the way and childcare costs are scary so mortgage repayments will shortly have to take a back seat

Viewing 4 posts - 81 through 84 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘what proportion of your net income goes straight out on bills?’ is closed to new replies.