Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)
  • What is your closest dice with death?
  • whippersnapper
    Free Member

not sure if this comes under out of or in control, perhaps a third category, very very drunk.

Riding a bicycle with lots and lots of alcohol in the system as a young teenager and without a helmet led to my near death experience. I remember the first 5 or so falls, they were quite amusing. The next one apparently wasn’t especially as it resulted in a coma and a blood clot on the brain. I have since suffered no knowing consequences, I was very very lucky indeed.

b17
    Free Member

probably more of a dice with decent injury, but I guess anything could have happened –

riding in St Foy with stevomcd took a fairly innocuous tumble but found the one stretch of exposed mountain side on the trail to fall down. Saved by a nicely placed tree stump but the bike went for it. Spent half the evening abseiling down to retrieve it with stevo, for which I’m extremely grateful! (a nice bit of customer service if ever there was one). Fortunately I haven’t repeated the stunt on La Varda or similar, although I did fall through a snow bridge doing some back country snow boarding with stevo again St Foy…

barrykellett
    Free Member

flimsy – Member

I broke my neck 4 months ago, c1 & c2 fractures. Got up after a while and got mated to put my bike in the car and drove home to get a shower and sleep off a stiff neck. Couldn’t get out of the car for the pain so decided to get my mum to take me to A&E…

Consultant said i was extremely lucky to survive the breaks never mind getting up and driving home afterwards! Feeling fairly fortunate after that!!!

You and Luke should compare notes!

turboferret

When I was 14 I was walking 2 labradors along the top of Samsons Ribs on Arthurs Seat, Edinburgh. The 2 dogs were playing and gave me a bit of a nudge, knocking me over the edge. Cliff was around 200′ tall, I landed on a ledge about the size of a coffin around 60′ down.

Escaped with just a shattered lower leg, could have been a bit worse 😯

Cheers, Rich

binners

The t shirt I was sporting when I had my masssive near-death off

Cocky little bastard I was back then. 😀

LoveTubs
    Free Member

OT

Bikebouy,

I used to ski-surf (aka goatboat) that break on a custom Dirty Habbit (truro made, prob long gone now). When it’s working, the bantham R to L (from the sea to shore) has to be one of the best breaks down there. I’ve surfed at most of the ‘classics’ in SW and dearly miss it TBH 😥

OnT

Has to be when we were forced to drive a massive truck (it’s LHS) up and over the LHS of an on-coming car whilst negotiating a Corsican coastal road – either that or multiples of 100ft drop to seashore 😯

scotsman
    Free Member

Worked in Brazil a few years ago from around june 2007 till around june 2009 on a four on four off rotation, the end of the project date was given as 30th may 2009 which meant we had been booked on AF447 on Sunday 31st of May out of Rio.
    So we (me and two colleagues) decided we didn’t want to get home on a monday morning, so we would get all the loose ends tied up for Thursday night, have the Friday off and have an end of project lash up in Rio before flying out on the Saturday night. So made all the necessary arrangements, got the travel dept to change our flights etc.
    So you all know what happened next!
    Probably the best decision I have or ever will ever make in my life.
    F#####d me up in the head for about six months after and didn’t go back to work in that time as it involved flying somewhere.
    Also knew three other guys that worked out of Rio for a different company that were on the flight that went down, took that pretty hard as well as we were boasting in the pub to them that we were going home a day early.

willard

When I was working in Germany, I was on my way to see my then GF so that we could go to the cinema. Place was great for getting around on via bike, so I was was giving it some down the cycle track when a convertible BMW 3 series pulls out of a Turkish restaurant car park onto the cycleway. No amount of braking was going to get me to stop in time, but I still tried, and the last thing I saw as I went over the bonnet was his tax disc.

I woke up on the pavement the other side of the car with the driver pulling on my arm (shoulder felt really sore at this point) and swearing at me. Luckily, the polizei turned up , took my side when he got arsey with them and fined him for being on the track.

DT78
    Free Member

Diving into a pool as a kid and KO’ing myself for a short period of time, no one noticed and only just made it out…

On the bike, chain snapping when sprinting away from traffic lights on the commute. Ended up hitting the deck very hard and lying sideways across the road in rush hour, luckily there was two lanes so the cars swerved round me – rather than stopping and helping 🙁

LHS
    Free Member

Got caught in an avalanche.

retro83
    Free Member

Some upstanding members of society from the crays farm region joined the A127 in front of me and a load of scrap metal, pipes, fridge doors etc immediately fell off the back of their caged transit.

A car in front swerved, and caught what looked like one of those old crossed sockets for undoing wheel nuts with their rear tyre, catapulting it up into the air.

I thought it was flying directly towards my face like a massive ninja star. Somehow though it hit the bumper, span up the bonnet over the windscreen without doing anything more than scratching the paintwork & windscreen and smashing the plastic bumper. I had to immediately pull over and just sit at the side of the road. The skidmarks on the road weren’t the only ones that day. 😆

I also nearly went over a shear drop in Wales avoiding a motorcyclist who slid off his bike in front of my car (from the oncoming lane). My car at the time had no ABS, so as I locked up it wanted to plough straight on over the edge.

ddmonkey

On my 22nd birthday I came very close to going over a cliff into the river Chandra in the back a lorry while hitching a ride in the Himalayas. The driver was bombing up a mountain road with a sheer drop off one side when he fluffed changing down and stalled his engine. The brakes couldn’t stop the lorry and it started rolling backwards towards the edge. Just when it was about to go over he turned the lorry in reverse back into the wall on the inside of the road to stop it, rolling the lorry onto its side in the process. Cue 10 fellow students, half a ton of sacks of chickpeas and a few other locals coming down on top of me!

Managed to get out and then it was a matter of helping a couple of injured / people going into shock, and hiking back down to a refuge / chai shop to re-group. Hitched a ride out of the mountain the next day in the back of a 6 wheel drive Indian Army lorry, with the weather deteriating and landslides starting to happen.

The party we had upon making it back to Manali was pretty good!

turboferret

Just remembered being caught in a rip on a beach just south of Sydney, that got me a bit concerned for a while. Possibly more distressing for the missus who was on the beach occasionally seeing my head bobbing around between waves.

Cheers, Rich

sharki
    Free Member

Many of us have probably had more dices with death than we know of, not that car was out of control around that blind bend, etc.

I had one encounter with near death or at least a really painful time back when i was out running one evening.

The barriers dropped across the road as a high speed train was coming through, myself and a mate were jogging along the road and in a moment of thoughtlessness we decided to hurdle the barrier, run across the track, then hurdle the next barrier. The assumption was that it would be a long delay as was often experience when having to stop for trains.

However on this occasion it was not the case, as i cleared the first barrier, i checked left then right as i ran across the track. There to my right was the bright light from the train, closing real fast, as my trail leg cleared the next barrier the train whizzed past. yikes!

The only ever dice with death was 3 times early last year. Only i had a say in the matter one those 3 days. Those circumstances are the only time in my life when i will get to chose when i go. Not to keen now on living y the rules of others.

Stay safe and stay happy out there peeps.

freddyg
    Free Member

Heading North up the M6 after work, on my motorbike.

Just after the M55 turning, good weather and good visibility. I’m in the right hand lane, car in front pulls in to let me past. I nail the throttle and accelerate hard. On the opposite carriage way, a black car with two passengers (driver female, passenger male – completely irrelevant but a detail that stuck) the front right tyre looked like it exploded and the whole front right of the car appeared to tip forward and dig into the carriage way. This had the effect of lifting the rear of the car up and spinning it 270 deg so the rear end landed on the armco. I was probably at 85mph+ at this point. I instinctively ducked and went under it.

Arrived home some 40 minutes later a shaking wreck. Don’t remember the rest of the journey.

qwerty
    Free Member

I rode my motorbike head on into an oncoming car. I was doing 50-60mph, car around 40-50mph. I ripped my bike in two and put a two foot V indent into the front of the car. I flipped skywards and landed in the trees and bracken. Got a ride home on the back of my mates Fireblade, and was sore for a few weeks after.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

starting to learn snowboarding at a small family run ski centre near christchurch in NZ.

got cocky after about 4 weeks and got the lift to the top of the mountain, took a wrong turn in a blizzard and ended up at the top of a black run ‘big mama’

crap photo that doesnt do it justice..

anyway i was stood at the top, couldnt sit down due to the slope, started to get really cold, way out of my comofrt and skill level.

i stupidly thought i could ride it out about a mile to where the slope levelled out a bit, i gingerly leaned over the lip and headed straight down, gatheinrg speed what felt like 100mph, clipped the front edge face planted and flipped over about 10 times.

next thing i know is the local ski patrol guy shouting at me, my mouth full of snow, minus snowboard.

never been near a ski slope since, scared the hell out of me.

_tom_
    Free Member

I don’t know that it was near death but I surprised a bear when I was in Canada. Luckily it just stared at me for a while, didn’t get to the point of it bluff-charging me, I think a bit of poo would actually have come out 😯

monkey_boy
    Free Member

Following on from the motorways thread and stories of people *almost* being involved, what is your closest dice with death?

Mine…

Dad book a holiday to Corfu (our first ever holiday abroad) but mum couldn’t get the time off work so he cancelled it and booked on the *same flight* a week later.

The flight.. British Airtours Flight 28M

thats messed up!! fate eh! did you see the ‘seconds from disaster’type programme good few years back about it, horrific!

iDave
    Free Member

had to abseil off a number 1 RRP

lots of other stuff involving cars, motorbikes and upside down kayaks

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Scary how many of us have nearly ended it on/in bikes/cars.

Once I jumped on my mate’s back and went flying over him and smacked my head on the fireplace about 2 inches from a spike on the decorative surround of my gas fire.

The room fell silent and we all sobered up very quickly. I am sure it would have been instant death if I had have hit it.

Harry_the_Spider

You bunch of soft gets.

None of this comes close to the near miss that Tara Woods and Frankie Orris suffered earlier this year.

Read with caution

northshoreniall

Mine was about 10 years ago now came round tight bend in road under rail bridge in car to have police chase heading straight at me on wrong side of road, they missed me by matter of inches. Had to have a wee stop for the shaking for 1/2 an hour after.
    Suppose other time was when neighbours gun dog that know me quite well came bounding into the house and chewed all up my left arm, shoulder and one bite out of my face too – was pretty scary as a kid.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

monkey-boy, pure madness! Why didnt you just side slip down? If its any comfort you probably didnt get much over 70 mph on a slope that steep, its not that steep, you can tell by the turns in the snow, and the way the skiers up hill shoulders are not rubbing against the snow, thats when you know your on some thing steep 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Fantastic story Harry 🙂

MrKmkII
    Free Member

for me i was driving from banbury to brackley in oxon/northants. i had been driving for less than a year at that point so pretty inexperienced. i was following a chicken wagon, and the driver behind me was getting pretty pissed that i wasn’t overtaking it. so, we got to a straight and i decided to give it a go – at the time i just felt so much pressure! so i overtook, but realised i had no chance to get past before the oncoming car hit me. i hit the brakes hard and fishtailed and somehow managed to get in back behind the lorry (from being halfway past it). funnily enough, the driver behind who had been ragging my arse just gave me a solid full-beam blast for 30 seconds.

but that story is nothing compared to my girlfriend’s: when she was a kid, she went on holiday with her folks to spain. one evening, after having spent many many hours in a bar, my girlfriend begged her dad (her mum was elsewhere) to go for a pizza. the dad wasn’t for turning, but eventually gave in and they trotted across the road to a pizza joint. moments later a drunk-driver careered into the bar they had been in, right through the seats they’d been sat in. thankfully nobody was hurt…

xterramac
    Free Member

_tom_ bear +1

Camping in the states, I got woken by a bear looking for food outside of my tent, not much fun, i’ll tell you

ratswithwings
    Free Member

When I was 5 years old I fell out of a car whilst going around a dual carriageway roundabout. Managed to grab hold of the arm rest whilst falling out and was flying in mid air whilst looking back at all the cars behind me that would surely have ground me into the tarmac if I’d let go.

Travelled around half of the roundabout whilst in mid air until my dad could turn off at the next available exit. Even then there was the danger of me letting go and getting run over by our own car. Still don’t know how I managed to survive that one.

Still makes me freak out about it even now some 40 years later. My dad gave me a right bollocking aswell.

Lifer
    Free Member

Got pretty well tangled in discarded fishing line kayaking, pulled me over and stopped me rolling. Popped the deck but was effectively tied into boat by that point, luckily mate had seen go over and did semi-eskimo rescue so I could get me head out of water while another mate got out, waded over to me and cut me out.

Macgyver

Slipped on an icy Tryfan in north Wales a few years back and fell something like 20 to 30 feet. Fell fowards and about halfway down hit a rock right in me nads, rotated through 90 degrees,and smacked the rocks below rather hard. Thought I got away with it until a big blob of blood hit the map case and shock kicked it. Me bits were some amazing colours of blue, black, purpled and yellows for some time after that plus a line of stitches from the forhead into my scalp.
    Feel sorry for the chap I scraped down the back of his ruck sack just before I hit the deck. That must have made him jump! I think landing in a bit of a slump rather than head first or feet first saved my from serious injury.

Then there was the time I overcooked my little 205 into a bend, suffered big lift off oversteer and stopped on full opposite lock about 6 inches away from the edge of the road and a big drop into a deep water filled ditch. Don’t actually recall winding the opp lock on though. Did the rest of the journey driving miss daisy stylee.

paul4stones

Two of us on a glacier having been up the Allalinhorn. In a heavily crevassed area my mate, who was behind, suddenly disappeared. I saw him go out of the corner of my eye and hit the deck. I managed to hold him and recover him although he had trouble getting out over the lip and fell twice more before I’d properly secured him. We’d practised rescue and it all worked perfectly.

Helicoptered off as he’d knacked his ankle. It was later when the doctor said “There were only two of you? That never happens, always the second man gets pulled down too” . . .

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mine tend to be fairly stupid.

Drunk and fell off a cliff in Darwin. I went thru a tree which must have broken the fall.

Drunk and puked while passed out.

got caught in a rip tide swimming

Pulled a car door handle on the motorway instead of a window handle

Couple of “nearly” falls on mountains

Bitten by a black widow while drunk

had a few mains electric shocks all from being stupid

I suspect I don’t have many of my nine lives left

allthepies
    Free Member

Closest was having a herd of wild elephants chasing after me (and a group) on a remote island in the middle of the Okavango Delta in Botswana. Our unarmed guides had already legged it past us so we just followed as quick as we could. Hid behind a fark-off termite mound with the elephants just 100m away, luckily we had run downwind of them. The sound of elephants trumpeting + undergrowth being flattened behind us whilst legging it raised the pulse somewhat.

chugg08

Got stuck by falling debris while penetrating a wreck under the Sound of Mull. I was training to instruct wreck penetration at the time and the Dive Leader dislodged cieling material. Took no more than 2 mins to get free but it felt like 2 hours. Pooped myself.

About 15 years ago I was flying out of Biggin Hill in a Cessna 152 I did a descending turn into the path of an ascending Cessna 172. Missed each other by no more than 10 feet…still shiver when I think about it.

aracer
    Free Member

18th November 1987. Had been on a trip to that there London to visit the Houses of Parliament with a couple of schoolmates. Stopped on the way back for a Maccy D, then at about 7:30 were going to get the tube back to KX/StP to get our trains home. Decided to go to the pub instead. Most miffed when we did eventually try to go home that the tube trains weren’t stopping at KX for some reason.

Sticking rigidly to the letter of the law isn’t always the best policy – the pub saved my life.

scud
    Free Member

I went out to Peru and Bolivia 4 years ago and whilst out there decided to the classic mountain bike ride down the “Road of Death” supposedly the most dangerous road in the world, starting off at about 5200m above sea level and going down to the beach in 64km.

We saw lots of organised US companies on good bikes, wearing luminous vest going down slowly, we decided to go with a dodgy local outfit. We paid them for lovely Iron Horse full sus bikes and turned up at the top to find we had ancient Trek hardtails with v-brakes!

About 61km in, I managed to have a complete blow out with the rear tyre which audibly popped and I went over the bars and came to a rest on my back with my feet overhanging the edge with a good 100ft drop straight down. I had managed to dislocate my shoulder with enough force that it pulled off the head of the humerous and stuck the brake lever through my leg also.

Had to then endure 8 hour journey back up the road to La Paz and a hospital, they stuck metal pins in shoulder but completely overlooked where I had stuck the lever in my leg.

So I escaped twice, firstly narrowly missing going over the edge and secondly them finding me in hospital bed the next day bleeding out from leg having lost over 2 pints of blood where they hadn’t checked me for any other injuries other than my shoulder.

My only saving grace was that my Camelbak had burst in the fall and absorbed a lot of the impact to my spine.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

18th November 1987

I remember passing through KX not long after on a college trip and found it an eery place knowing what had recently happened.

Same really as the OP – the debris of the plane was still sat outside a hangar just off the main runway as a reminder to us all of what had just happened.

Woody
    Free Member

Boarding off-piste with my Daughter who was 50yards ahead and going at a fair rate of knots, I felt the snow change suddenly and saw her fall. As I approached her my board ‘submarined’ and I too fell forward and realised I couldn’t move anything except my left arm and was locked solid into the snow. Lying there in dead silence I could hear rushing water 😯 I very carefully started to dig myself out and 45 minutes later (seemed much longer), after unclipping and lying to the side, I pulled my board out (the nose was about 3 ft below) to reveal a hole and very fast flowing spring melt water.

Daughter thought it was hilarious as being 1/2 my weight had got out in a couple of minutes. I needed a couple of glühwein and a change of underwear!

trailmonkey

had pneumonia aged 3.

almost killed me.

sharki
    Free Member

Chugg08, wreck penetration is very dangerous. i was married to one for 9 years, proved almost fatal to me.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘What is your closest dice with death?’ is closed to new replies.