Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What is there to ride in/around London
  • pinches
    Free Member

OK so some of you may have read i am in a pending state of moving to London.

I have no idea what the riding is like there, i know it exists, I assume some train journeys are required.

The problem is, i have both a full XC hardtail and a small 4X bike, and can only take one with me, due to the size of the flat we're renting.

What do people recommend? or should i potentially look at getting shut of one and getting something else?

I also, know no one in London, who wants to be my friend!

jedi

loads of spots all around the m25

Bumhands
    Free Member

Hi Pinches :hand:

A good place to start:

http://www.thetrax.co.uk/

neilnevill
    Free Member

Do you know where you will be living yet? It might help to find other riders local to you.

Riding in North east london – Epping forest. London clay basin, wet, flat but can be pleasant xc stuff, you have to make the most of what htere is if you want 'technical'….you become expert at stream/ditch crossing and getting over fallen tree trunks. I ride there occasionally (parents live in Epping so I tie in with a visit) and can show you around, or Heales cycles do a regular ride. Train from Liverpool street goes to Highams park and Chingford, both in the forest.

Swinley to the West – flat, xc but more technical than Epping and better draned I believe

North and South Downs, train from Victoria to Dorking for the North Downs (Leith, Holmsbury, Pitch hill) XC riding but quite a lot of technical bits about, jumps,drops etc. I normally only bother with the hardtail but have once taken the bouncer and there's enough to give it a bit of a thrashing. Nirvana cycles is Westcott do regular rides.

There's also Jedi's Herts shore.

jond
    Free Member

>Swinley to the West – flat, xc but more technical than Epping and better draned I believe

No big hills but not flat by any means – the hills there tend to be short/steep so the singletrack's generally pretty swoopy (IYSWIM), the trails are maintained by BOBMBC to be rideable pretty much all year – drains reasonably well.

kimbers

swinley mainly xc but some jumps and drops too
    chicksands has lots of 4x and north shore fun
    woburn has some good xc and dirt jumps drops n stuff too
    aston hill has an xc course as such but is all about the dh
    porc in kent is dh and 4x too

all are about an hour from london, depending on which area you live in

chakaping
    Free Member

Epping is more technical than Swinley IMO, lots of nice rooty sections, although it's a bloody nightmare to navigate.

Maybe I've not found the technical stuff at Swinley, but it seems more swoopy and trail-centre-y – still really good though.

chakaping
    Free Member

Will you have a motor though? Difficult to get to some of these places without one.

pinches
    Free Member

No, won't have a car.

I will be living in earls court, just on the other side of the arena or whatever you want to call it, in the west end.

I'd really like to take both bikes, but unless i find some alternative storage for one i've got no chance!

I've riden chicksands and PORC before, don't mind those kinds of places on the 4x.

chakaping
    Free Member

Earls Court is West London, the West End is central London.

I know it's a bit confusing, but you'll get the hang of it.

You'll probably find yourself doing as much or more on-road riding as off-road – I know I did when I lived in town, just to get out on the bike.

So from that point of view maybe start with yr XC bike and see how it goes.

bialled_dikes
    Free Member

xc bike. Give me a shout, I'm near you.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Pinches, there's plenty of fun to be had! I had a lovely ride around Wombeldon and Richmond this afternoon.

Then there's Swinley, Leith, Dorking, Box, Epping, South Downs, etc. etc. etc. Almost all doable by train, with planning. FAiling that, there's all sorts of good folks around to ride/carshare with!

I keep my BMX, my 6" and my 4" bikes in town. Coupled with my "Around town" bike, they all get ridden. Lots.

Let the London Collective know when you get here! But watch out, Earls Court is full of Aussies….! 😉

solamanda
    Free Member

Lots to play on at Swinley. If you like both 4x and xc just get a looooong seatpost for the 4x bike. No need for a proper gear range on a hardtail down here. I'm happy to show you around there.

I ride Aston hill, woburn, chicksands, downs, swinley, hindhead… list goes on. Lots around London if you know where to look.

grantway
    Free Member

The Underground had banned bikes on the tubes after
    the Rucksack Bombers.
    Dont think they have removed this ban.

Epping more keep fit XC and just ride it faster
    crap soil so when raining very muddy

Swinley alot of jumping and various shoot type
    runs at the top with a few Downhill riders there
    Have seen a couple of people lifted out via helicopter.

Surrey Hills a very nice place again XC Hardcore Trail riders
    and there is a small DownHill section way out the way.
    A good mix of riders there But best when dry as the
    Terrain is 50% Epping and 50% Swinley.

Most of the trails are on youtube on the above places

pinches
    Free Member

Thanks everyone! Captain flash heart and dialled bikes, will be in touch when i know more! Luckily i get on ok with aussies.

Sola, I've riden with you before at chicksands (with a lad called paul riding a black nicolai 2mxtb). Valid point about the long seat post, but the intense i've got hasn't got a full seat tube so i can't run a long post.

Thanks for the advice thus far!

jedi

plus ooodles of street furniture to session!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

jedi – Member
    plus ooodles of street furniture to session!

Oh yes….!

neilnevill
    Free Member

chakaping…epping/swinley…it's splitting hairs to decide which is more techie really, neither challenge massively, but both can entertain. I know this forum rates Swinley and not Epping…I found Epping grew on me as I learnt to think about it differently. Agree with comments about trail centre feel of Swinley, its a bit 'groomed'.

pinches
    Free Member

street riding could see me spending some money though! really feeling a 4x/dj hardtail at the moment 🙁

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What is there to ride in/around London’ is closed to new replies.