Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)
  • What is the general consensus on MTB tandems?
  • JRTG
    Free Member

Are they in vogue or a dead horse?

aP
    Free Member

Awfully nice.

singlespeedstu

Teh awsum.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DickBarton

Utterly brilliant fun…

druidh
    Free Member

They can fly….

tandem jump by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Teh awsum.

^^THIS!^^

I remember racing a KHS full bouncer tandem way back in the day at a SAMS event. Can’t remember the last time I laughed so much!

Oh, and, can I just say…

WANT!

Yes, yes, it really IS a M1 tandem!

mt
    Free Member

they are ace.

JRTG
    Free Member

I’ve got one but its sat in the shed doing nought, perhaps I should give it more of a chance?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

JRTG – Member
    I’ve got one but its sat in the shed doing nought, perhaps I should give it more of a chance? to CFH

FTFY.

CountZero

Oh yes! I remember that M1tandem, incredible thing. First MTB tandem I ever saw was a Dawes one, in a cardboard box, being manoeuvred on a luggage trolley at Minneapolis St Paul airport while we changed planes to Vail, in ’93. Pete and Bridgette, the owners, were lovely folks, too, and Pete bought one of the very first Turner Burner frames from Dave Turner at the expo area. Proper mountain biking in the Rockies, with rim brakes!

JRTG
    Free Member

CFH, well if I don’t get on with it I’ll let you know. Won’t give it mind….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😆

JRTG
    Free Member

CFH get in touch if you are interested, car just died and I need to move it on.

grantway
    Free Member

LOL look ridiculous honest opinion
    and look overly embarrassing
    Seen one once in Epping forest.

I simply wouldn’t just buy the other half a mountain bike !

bland

Can anyone remember a fully tricked out polished frame one kicking about in the mid to late 90’s NAMBS and northern nationals?

I have one particular memory of one chap racing it without a pillion passenger in the actual DH race and getting the rear end miles out on dusty corners………………………………………..AMAZING!!!

leffeboy

Teh awsum.

globalti
    Free Member

Mountain bike tandem: slow and heavy. Hybrid tandem: more fun than you’ve ever had with your clothes on.

singlespeedstu

globalti – Member

Mountain bike tandem: slow and heavy

Still teh awsum fun though. 8)

Mincy by sheldonattwood, on Flickr

molgrips
    Free Member

They get you banned from here.

I would really love one actually, to ride with the Mrs, but they are large and rather expensive.

molgrips
    Free Member

Bizarre double post.

timber

JRTG – I’ve a spare car in the yard and would love a tandem, but can’t see the wife agreeing to swapsies 🙁

myheadsashed

Sandman do a FAT mtb tandem nichetastic 😯

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Was going to say it would probably have to be a 29’r singlespeed fat bike tandem for in here (drop bars optional)

tandemwarriors

Are they in vogue or a dead horse?

I’d say neither, they just suit certain people in certain circumstances.

Mountain bike tandem: slow and heavy

Uphill – undoubtedly. Downhill – not so sure, frighteningly quick down Glencoe when you let go of the anchors!

Rob

petethegeneral
    Free Member

CountZero – that would’ve been me looking apprehensively at the baggage handlers throwing the bike box about!
    It was a GT as it happens…on the way back the Turner was in the box too!
    GT now gathering dust in a garage somewhere. Turner now enjoying daylight again occasionally.
    Tandems are a blast! Great downhill and a good leveller of fitness – if your partner is a racing snake or a mess you still stay together on a long ride.

How are you Adrian?
    😉

JRTG
    Free Member

timber – Member
    JRTG – I’ve a spare car in the yard and would love a tandem, but can’t see the wife agreeing to swapsies

Off to get one today and max out both our cc’s at least it’s payday Friday!

JRTG, more details please.
    Mrs MTG and myself want a MTB Tandem.
    We’re still looking for a cheap, local road or hybrid tandem to give it a go before committing to buy a proper MTB one, but if you’ve got something suitable at the right price now, we may be interested.

JRTG
    Free Member

MTQG – it’s in the classifieds and send us a email (checked but can’t find one for you) if you want more info! deathhtaed@hotmail.co.uk

aP
    Free Member

Suppose I’d better look at building up the track tandem then…

footflaps

I always fancied a Turner Tandem after reading about one in an STW article any moons ago…

There’s not much detail on the Viper website.
    they list a 20″/16″ or 21″/17″ frame without giving any other dimensions.
    JRTG, you describe yours as a 19″/16″, so I take it that’s the smaller version ?
    I’m not sure that would be suitable for a 6’1″ captain and 5’7″ stoker.
    If you were local, I’d ask for a test ride, but we’re about 190 miles away in Worcestershire.

I see Probikeshop have got the same frame for about £380 with postage.
    That’s another option, to build one up using parts from my spares box, but I’d still need to buy one or two tandem cranksets and some heavyweight forks.

Which leads on to a couple of tandem build questions;

Could I use two standard triple chainsets with the front chain between the two inner rings, and using the middle and outer ring only on the back for 2×9 ?
    If not, could I use a tandem rear chainset, with three rings on the right for 3×9, plus one on left, then a standard chainset on the front round the wrong way to put the chainring on the left ?
    Would the pedals keep falling off because the threads are the wrong way round ?

Can I use any air forks and just pump them up harder, or would I need heavy duty DH forks ?
    Total rider weight would be around 150kg, 95kg/55kg front/rear.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I would really love one actually, to ride with the Mrs, but

she’s said theres no way on earth she’s getting on the back of a bike that she can’t steer.

singlespeedstu

I’ve seen normal MTB cranks used with all of the drive train on the right hand side.
    They’ve all used the outer ring as the timing chain though.

Some people seem to have had more success than others with this setup.

I’m still considering trying it out myself.

As for forks.

I’d go for an air Lyric or Float and drop the travel down with spacers.

We had a Pike on ours for a while but it was a bit scarey seeing how much it flexed. It’s now got a Lyric air spaced down to 150mm. Works really well and we can get the sag set right with simple air adjustment.

Simon, while you’re there, any news on this;
    http://www.mtbtandems.com/NICOLAI.htm
    How does a USA bike shop sell a Nicolai frame that’s not on Nicolai’s own web site ?
    £2800 would be a big commitment for a frame for us, but if we like tandem riding we could well upgrade in the future to full suspension and Rohloff.

bencooper
    Free Member

I’m planning on getting one of these in the Spring:

It’s a Hase Pino – the person at the back steers. Loads of fun to ride, very good off-road too 😉

jonstanley
    Free Member

You’re just not looking at the right place (and by place I mean temporally):

http://2009.nicolai.net/products/e-frames/e-helius-tandem.html

Clearly tandem demand in anywhere other than the USA is basically zero. Alex @ MTBTandems probably bought the lot. Nicolai haven’t made any since. Or something.

Edit: Tandems are ace. It’s the top of my list for bike n+1.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have a mate who MTB tandems (or did). Despite being very light, as was his missus, and not doing anything remotely challenging, he specced the bike with as chunky stuff as he could get. 36mm forks, 205mm rotors etc. It’s worth it.

singlespeedstu

Nicolai haven’t made any since.

I think you’ll find they have. 🙂

I have enquired about a Nicolai tandem in the past.
    They’re all custom made.

I got sent some very interesting drawings of stuff they’ve made.
    It’ll be where we go when we eventualy get some cash together for a new frame.

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ll see your 29er singlespeed tandem and your recumbant tandem and raise you this:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ85tupcdCI[/video]

drookitmunter
    Free Member

Scary! The discs on this one were glowing red hot. Skip to 1:44…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjwAxAN3Iyo&feature=youtu.be&t=1m44s[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘What is the general consensus on MTB tandems?’ is closed to new replies.